Michael Giacchino's Tomorrowland (2015)

Jay

Are u insane? it's bad enough that Zimmer and Gia corner this market. I want great composers!

No arguments there!

Just that maybe Gia needs to lay off these mass entertainers. Maybe a drama or a space epic will bring something more interesting out of him? A period piece? There must be something!

I get the whole 'Atmospheric music' of Zimmer, and I like some of his work definitely, but I listened to the first 20 minutes of Interstellar and heard about 4 notes. I was bored out of my mind. It may work great with the film, I haven't seen it so I don't know, but Zimmer is not an interesting composer to listen to at all. He is good with a film at matching moods etc, but outside of the film his music is mind-numbingly boring. Giacchino has more notes in one piece than Zimmer does in a 2 hour bloated score. I'm not saying that more notes means better music. I'm saying that Giacchino is interesting outside of the film. Even when he does minimalism with films like Apes, he still interests me far more than Zimmer. If Zimmer went anymore minimal, it'd just be 2 hours of static.

I think that's a close-minded way of looking at it. And a lot of Gia's "many" notes are often just annoying, repeating ostinati.

You know, I was prepared to leave Mr. Allen to his trial-by-fire, but as in his desperation he's turned to Zimmer bashing as some sort of attempt at shifting focus to a more common "enemy"....

No, no I can't do it.

Anyway, if Giacchino could write themes today at a level that was consistent with the growth you'd expect after him already writing at Lost quality more than a gorram decade ago, I'd gladly place him at Horner level if not easily above.

I haven't seen the film yet, but the score has some nice moments and I like the very energetic moments. My favourite piece so far is probably 'People Mover and Shaker.' I also enjoy 'Casey vs Zeitgeist.' Some different stuff in those pieces.

Again people only noticed Powell when he got a blockbuster. I like Powell but Giacchino is superior.

Also can someone who think Giacchino hasn't made an impact on the film scoring world, tell me why he has countless sold out concerts of his work; both standard concerts and live to film concerts. I doubt people who enjoy Star Trek Into Darkness would spend £40 a ticket + travel costs just to see a film they have on DVD at home.

Powell's first film score was a blockbuster :P

Are u insane? it's bad enough that Zimmer and Gia corner this market. I want great composers!

No arguments there!

Just that maybe Gia needs to lay off these mass entertainers. Maybe a drama or a space epic will bring something more interesting out of him? A period piece? There must be something!

I don't believe it's subject matter. He's just become thematically and harmonically lazy.

Again people only noticed Powell when he got a blockbuster. I like Powell but Giacchino is superior.

Also can someone who think Giacchino hasn't made an impact on the film scoring world, tell me why he has countless sold out concerts of his work; both standard concerts and live to film concerts. I doubt people who enjoy Star Trek Into Darkness would spend £40 a ticket + travel costs just to see a film they have on DVD at home.

Powell's first film score was a blockbuster :P

Face Off isn't exactly a musically accommodating film though lol.

Alrighty. The BSO refunded my concert tickets and now Marcy and I are going to go see Tomorrowland in a couple hours. I'll report back later with a revised theme list, as well on notes on any unreleased music if I can notice any.

I don't think I've mentioned yet that I also heard the villain's theme in All House Assault.

OK, just got back from the film. Quick thoughts before I forget everything:

-There's a LOT of unreleased music in the film!! I was really surprised; I definitely thought the 73 minute runtime would mean the OST was very comprehensive... and it is in a way, but there are at least two highlight cues missing, both featuring large amounts of choir, which could be why they were left off. One of them is a very important moment in the story, the defining moment, really! Apart from those two cues, there were probably 10 other short cues left off the OST. Some are just variations of themes not super dissimilar from what we have on the OST, but there were some really standout ones. A lot of them feature the villain theme, actually - while it only appears in 5-6 OST tracks, its as much of a major theme in the full score as any of the others. Another standout cue is the cue for Casey's second helicopter sequence, that was really cool music!

-A Prologue might be a special album-only track. The scene in the film is much shorter and the music constantly starts and stops on purpose due to a narrative framing device. So the album track could either have been recorded to get the idea across without interruptions, or could be for an alternate version where they didn't do the stupid cutting they do in the final take.

-I think the OST is completely in chronological order per usual with all Giacchino OSTs, but I can't think right now what scene A Touching Tale would be for.

-The end credits are longer in the film. Basically after the 0:00-2:33 part, it goes into a whole other section not on the OST. It might all be tracked, though - or maybe just re-recorded - but it sounded a lot of like a cue or two that's on the album, one of the one featuring the villain's theme (so in the film, the end credits truly is a suite of all the film's themes). After then it finishes with the 2:33-end part of the OST. So I dunno if A> he wrote two end credits cues, knowing the music editor would track music from other stuff in between to fit the length; He wrote 3 end credits cues, but only put the 1st and 3rd on the OST because the middle one is so similar to other film cues or C> He wrote 3 end credits cues, but the 2nd one isn't on the OST and got replaced with tracked music in the final film.

-John Williams' Star Wars theme makes an appearance, but I don't know if its from the original recording, or if it was newly recorded by Giacchino! I think the end credits just said something like "Star Wars Theme / written by John Williams / courtesy Lucasfilm Ltd", but I happened to be looking away right at that part of the end credits so almost missed it.

-Surprisingly, it still isn't clear exactly what half the themes represent! I have a vague idea of what they all might be, however I think he plays fast and loose with their correlations ala Princess Leia's Theme in Ben's Death. HOWEVER, 2 of them are 100% clear now what they represent so I'll cover those first, and then speak to the others

The very first theme you hear in the first track (that I had previously called Opening Theme) is a theme for Athena, one of the best character's in the film. It also functions as

a bit of a Frank / Athena love theme

The villainous theme introduced in A Prologue (that I had previously called Prologue Theme) is indeed basically that, though you could also call it the Dark Future theme, or The End of the World Theme, or even

David Nix's theme. It mostly functions as a theme for the dark future Frank hints at in the beginning, then gets used for Nix's robots a bit, is played when he comes down the ramp to greet the main characters, and then it used for the scene where they use Frank's invention to look into the future.

After that it gets a little fudgier.

The theme that ends the first track and opens the end credits (that I had previously called Main Theme) could be a theme for Casey. I think it only played when she was around.

The theme that I had called Long Theme that I thought was a theme for Tomorrowland instead seemed to be a kind of Main Theme, or almost a Story Moves Along theme... I'm not sure.

The themes that I had called 7-Note Theme and Heroic Theme are actually the Tomorrowland Theme I think, basically two aspects of the place, two halves of a theme and not two different themes. I think.

It's possibly one of those last few themes is a Plus Ultra Theme, or a "Reaching Our Fullest Potential" theme. Might have to study the OST more and/or see the film again and/or hope Michael explains it on the Garland interview this weekend.

That's it for now. Oh, Giacchino's cameo was great, and happens in the first 5 minutes!

-There's a LOT of unreleased music in the film!! I was really surprised; I definitely thought the 73 minute runtime would mean the OST was very comprehensive... and it is in a way, but there are at least two highlight cues missing, both featuring large amounts of choir, which could be why they were left off. One of them is a very important moment in the story, the defining moment, really! Apart from those two cues, there were probably 10 other short cues left off the OST. Some are just variations of themes not super dissimilar from what we have on the OST, but there were some really standout ones. A lot of them feature the villain theme, actually - while it only appears in 5-6 OST tracks, its as much of a major theme in the full score as any of the others. Another standout cue is the cue for Casey's second helicopter sequence, that was really cool music!

-A Prologue might be a special album-only track. The scene in the film is much shorter and the music constantly starts and stops on purpose due to a narrative framing device. So the album track could either have been recorded to get the idea across without interruptions, or could be for an alternate version where they didn't do the stupid cutting they do in the final take.

-I think the OST is completely in chronological order per usual with all Giacchino OSTs, but I can't think right now what scene A Touching Tale would be for.

-The end credits are longer in the film. Basically after the 0:00-2:33 part, it goes into a whole other section not on the OST. It might all be tracked, though - or maybe just re-recorded - but it sounded a lot of like a cue or two that's on the album, one of the one featuring the villain's theme (so in the film, the end credits truly is a suite of all the film's themes). After then it finishes with the 2:33-end part of the OST. So I dunno if A> he wrote two end credits cues, knowing the music editor would track music from other stuff in between to fit the length; He wrote 3 end credits cues, but only put the 1st and 3rd on the OST because the middle one is so similar to other film cues or C> He wrote 3 end credits cues, but the 2nd one isn't on the OST and got replaced with tracked music in the final film.

-John Williams' Star Wars theme makes an appearance, but I don't know if its from the original recording, or if it was newly recorded by Giacchino! I think the end credits just said something like "Star Wars Theme / written by John Williams / courtesy Lucasfilm Ltd", but I happened to be looking away right at that part of the end credits so almost missed it.

-Surprisingly, it still isn't clear exactly what half the themes represent! I have a vague idea of what they all might be, however I think he plays fast and loose with their correlations ala Princess Leia's Theme in Ben's Death. HOWEVER, 2 of them are 100% clear now what they represent so I'll cover those first, and then speak to the others

The very first theme you hear in the first track (that I had previously called Opening Theme) is a theme for Athena, one of the best character's in the film. It also functions as

a bit of a Frank / Athena love theme

The villainous theme introduced in A Prologue (that I had previously called Prologue Theme) is indeed basically that, though you could also call it the Dark Future theme, or The End of the World Theme, or even

David Nix's theme. It mostly functions as a theme for the dark future Frank hints at in the beginning, then gets used for Nix's robots a bit, is played when he comes down the ramp to greet the main characters, and then it used for the scene where they use Frank's invention to look into the future.

After that it gets a little fudgier.

The theme that ends the first track and opens the end credits (that I had previously called Main Theme) could be a theme for Casey. I think it only played when she was around.

The theme that I had called Long Theme that I thought was a theme for Tomorrowland instead seemed to be a kind of Main Theme, or almost a Story Moves Along theme... I'm not sure.

The themes that I had called 7-Note Theme and Heroic Theme are actually the Tomorrowland Theme I think, basically two aspects of the place, two halves of a theme and not two different themes. I think.

It's possibly one of those last few themes is a Plus Ultra Theme, or a "Reaching Our Fullest Potential" theme. Might have to study the OST more and/or see the film again and/or hope Michael explains it on the Garland interview this weekend.

That's it for now. Oh, Giacchino's cameo was great, and happens in the first 5 minutes!

So is the movie any good? I am on the fence if I want to fork over $13 on this one.

-There's a LOT of unreleased music in the film!! I was really surprised; I definitely thought the 73 minute runtime would mean the OST was very comprehensive... and it is in a way, but there are at least two highlight cues missing, both featuring large amounts of choir, which could be why they were left off. One of them is a very important moment in the story, the defining moment, really!

Do you recall if those two highlight cues with choir contain any thematic material?

Listening to the OST again last night, the big defining one I mentioned could in fact be "As The World Burns". Maybe the OST version is microedited, or maybe they recorded extra choir for the film that isn't on the OST... I dunno. I'd have to get a copy of the movie and compare. In the theater it felt like I was hearing brand new music, but now I'm not so sure.

I can't remember now when the other choir-based cue played. Amazing what one night's sleep wipes out. Was going to try to make a list of unreleased cues but I dunno if I can.

There was legit probably 10-15 more cues in the film that aren't on the OST. I'd love the recording sessions.

Basically the film is 2 hours, 10 minutes.... there are 2 set pieces scored with source songs, and a usual amount of scenes that play with no score..... so probably I dunno, 90-95 minutes of score in the movie maybe, leaving maybe 15-20 minutes unreleased. Mostly short cues.

I really enjoyed the film, and the music within it. Speaking to my area of expertise, from memory, I'm pretty sure Giacchino rerecorded the orchestral portion of "Great Big Beautiful Tomorrow" that plays while Frank is on the bus, but the chorus it segues to is definitely the original 60s version, unless they got really close soundalikes. Pretty sure the chorus from "Small World" is likewise the original, though I suspect Giacchino may have rerecorded the orchestral portion for that too, to aid in the transition to his own original score.

Anyway, that explains why the Richard Sherman was in the studio!

I thought it was the original, but I can't really tell without a close comparison. I only believe that the Disney stuff is partially rerecorded because the score playing while Frank is on the bus sounded decidedly newer than normal 60s Disney recordings. But this is all from memory in the theater, so who knows.

#1 at the boxoffice yesterday barely above Pitch Perfect 2 and Poltergeist.

It's aimed more at adults that were kids in the 80s than the kids of today, I think. Weird film. I'll try to write about it in the last film you watched thread.

This thread is for the score!

True. Its a film for optimists - nihilists and pessimists will hate it.

So here's all the info I could put together before I have to be away from the computer for a while

Athena’s Theme

01 A Story About The Future 0:00-0:18

09 A Touching Tale 0:00-1:15

15 People Mover and Shaker 2:15-2:32, 4:57-5:26

20 The Battle of Bridgeway 0:52-0:57

22 Electric Dreams 0:50-1:16, 1:50-2:19

23 Pins of a Feather 2:02-2:30, 2:37-2:55, 3:13-3:38

24 End Credits 2:58-3:33, 4:31-5:27

Tomorrowland Theme A

01 A Story About The Future 0:18-0:32

03 You’ve Piqued My Pin-Trist 1:52-1:58

04 Boat Wait, There’s More! 0:11-0:26

05 Edge of Tomorrowland 2:36-2:45, 3:11-3:22, 3:33-3:45, 4:22-4:28, 4:50-5:07

09 A Touching Tale 1:15-1:30

13 Frank Frank 0:29-0:55

14 All House Assault 1:31-1:34 (expanded to 9 notes)

16 What An Eiffel! 0:15-0:24, 1:21-1:37, 2:04-2:56, 3:19-3:42, 4:08-4:16, 5:07-5:25, 5:39-5:50, 6:23-6:56

20 The Battle of Bridgeway 1:35-1:39

23 Pins of a Feather 0:42-0:50, 4:31-5:18

24 End Credits 1:37-1:50, 2:01-2:20, 2:35-2:58

Tomorrowland Theme B

04 Boat Wait, There’s More! 0:26-0:40

05 Edge of Tomorrowland 3:22-3:33

16 What An Eiffel! 1:37-2:04, 2:56-3:19, 3:37-4:02, 3:42-4:00, 5:25-5:39

23 Pins of a Feather 0:03-0:42

24 End Credits 1:50-2:01

Casey’s Theme

01 A Story About The Future 0:32-0:45

03 You’ve Piqued My Pin-Trist 2:23-2:48 (Maybe this isn't Casey's theme, because she has nothing to do with this track)

07 Home Wheat Home 0:05-0:25

08 Pin-Ultimate Experience 0:31-0:56

23 Pins of a Feather 1:20-1:29

24 End Credits 0:00-0:25, 0:53-1:05

Dark Future / End of The World Theme

02 A Prologue 0:17-1:26

06 Casey v Zeitgeist 0:57-1:22

14 All House Assault 0:18-0:30

17 Welcome Back, Walker 1:41-2:04

18 Sphere and Loathing 0:06-0:13, 0:34-1:01

19 As the World Burns 3:41-4:08

Main Theme

03 You’ve Piqued My Pin-Trist 0:08-0:40

05 Edge of Tomorrowland 1:20-1:34, 1:57-2:08

08 Pin-Ultimate Experience 1:58-2:58

15 People Mover and Shaker 3:00-3:12, 3:24-4:02, 4:13-4:35

20 The Battle of Bridgeway 1:57-2:07

22 Electric Dreams 2:27-4:40

23 Pins of a Feather 0:57-1:20

24 End Credits 0:28-0:53

Tomorrowland Ostinato

03 You’ve Piqued My Pin-Trist 1:36-2:23

08 Pin-Ultimate Experience 0:10-4:53

15 People Mover and Shaker 2:38-5:26

20 The Battle of Bridgeway 2:26-2:35, 2:38-2:50

23 Pins of a Feather 0:51-1:23, 2:55-4:31

24 End Credits 0:00-2:15

I got an email from Amazon indicating the release has been pushed back from Tuesday June 2nd to Tuesday June 9th

Also, I'm listening to Michael's WQXR interview and he says he recorded 103-104 minutes of music for Tomorrowland. So there must be some unused cues / alternates or something because I don't think there's 30 unreleased minutes of music in the film.... more like 20 at the most. Cool!

(Or, he could have just been remembering wrong)

https://www.wnyc.org/radio/#/ondemand/455532

Oh, Giacchino's cameo was great, and happens in the first 5 minutes!

Where was his cameo? Was he the guy talking to Hugh Lawrey before young Jack Walker walks up?