The DCU - DC Universe

Jay

Yea, big time.

Not to mention the fact that with the movie he's currently making - BvS:DOJ, coming out in 2016, and his next film - The Justice League - scheduled for 2017, he basically has to immediately move onto it after finishing on BvS.

Oh god, how many of these films is Hans Zimmer going to score?

• Replies 4.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Also I wonder who the villains will be in all these films. Will they go a cosmic route like Marvel did?

Given how the whole thing crashed in the first movie and seems to keep crashing in the second, I'm going to keep waiting for more GotG instead. Hell, and the Avengers seem like a more properly stupid thing than theses posters with Superman serious in the rain (agh) and Frank Miller's Batman AGAIN (aagh) and Wonder Woman in heels. (??)

Also I wonder who the villains will be in all these films. Will they go a cosmic route like Marvel did?

Well, the introduction of Superman as the first movie more or less pops the cherry on that one.

The thing I like about Batman, along with most of the Marvel characters, is that they can be killed without resorting to some mystical mumbo jumbo. There's more on the line when they fight.

That's some tremendous preasure on Snyder's shoulders. If Batman vs Superman doesn't deliver, all these plans could go down the drain

I was thinking the same thing.

That's some tremendous preasure on Snyder's shoulders. If Batman vs Superman doesn't deliver, all these plans could go down the drain

That's the biggest problem with their plan. Marvel doing the solo origin movies first gave them a safety net; if something didn't work they could recalibrate for the eventual team film. DC doesn't have that option, they're going straight for Justice League with only one prior release. If Dawn of Justice doesn't deliver they'll be in big trouble and they're current odds aren't the best given Man of Steel's shortcomings and Zach Snyder's fierce mediocrity as a director.

So as a demi-God, will Wonder Woman be as indestructible as Supes?

I don't know which version of the character they're using (probably the latest one), but I'd rather her be different to Supes on this regard.

That's the biggest problem with their plan. Marvel doing the solo origin movies first gave them a safety net; if something didn't work they could recalibrate for the eventual team film. DC doesn't have that option, they're going straight for Justice League with only one prior release. If Dawn of Justice doesn't deliver they'll be in big trouble and they're current odds aren't the best given Man of Steel's shortcomings and Zach Snyder's fierce mediocrity as a director.

I agree 100%. They must be really confident in the movie

They must be really confident in the movie

I know Steef is.

And how can it not be a hit? Everyone wants to see the new Bats fight against Supes. It's like the biggest gladiator fight of the modern world.

The issue I have is that Marvel is doing it right. It feels right. They're truly taking time to create a cinematic universe. The only movie that Marvel got wrong was Incredible Hulk. They've been pretty spot on.

DC already got Superman wrong (their first entry into this larger world). And now they're cramming everyone in the second movie. it smacks of desperation, not competition.

The thing is, why should WB do the exact same thing Marvel did? They'd be accused of copying them, and still do. I note that some fans complain "why didn't they announce the roster at NYCC?" and bitch about how uneventful the news came from a shareholder meeting. It was a smart business move to announce it a day after NYCC to catch people off guard. And I like how WB titled the movies they staked out for the next 5 years.

WB can really milk the next few years of SDCC by slowly unveiling more details about each film, it's not like they announced full cast & crew for all 10 of these movies at once.

Matching up the dates with the year, here's how the tentative roster goes:

March 25, 2016: Batman v. Superman: Dawn of Justice

August 5, 2016: Suicide Squad

June 23, 2017: Wonder Woman

November 17, 2017: Justice League: Part 1

March 23, 2018: The Flash

July 27, 2018: Aquaman

April 5, 2019: Shazam

June 14, 2019: Justice League: Part 2

April 3, 2020: Cyborg

June 19, 2020: Green Lantern

I really hope they don't go with the whole stripper whory look for Harley Quinn. That has always pissed me off and seems like more catering to fanboy fantasies than to the essence of the character.

I much rather see something along these lines

Quinnz.jpg

Than this

Batman_arkham_knight_harley_quinn_by_iva

She was always more sexy by being so cute, than being sexy by showing skin and doning the most cliched sort of "sexy" costumes. Even down to the choice of accent

Is Harley a confirmed character? I know she's in the recent comics, so it's somewhat likely, but they have a decades-long history of Suicide Squad characters from before Harley even existed as a character, and dozens since, to pick from.

I hate articles you have to click 10 times to read instead of just being all on one page, but this one brings up some good points

10 Reasons DC’s Cinematic Universe Is Already Doomed

I've spent 10-15 minutes poking holes in that list... it's slanted towards Marvel and neglects to mention key things.

- The controversial casting reason, like Ben Affleck playing Batman, neglect to mention other similar 'contentious' casting choices like Heath Ledger, Michael Keaton, and Anne Hathaway for previous Batman films. (All three were well-received after their films came out.) Even Jennifer Lawrence's initial casting news as Katniss in The Hunger Games was ballyhooed by some book fans.

- Man of Steel's 'controversial' ending. Superman killed Zod in the comic books, and the massive destruction is a byproduct of the challenges he faces. He can't save everyone, and set reports indicate BVS will address that. As for the 56% 'rotten' rating on RT, it's indicative of how divisive it was. Folks either loved or hated it -- not many people in between.

- The less popular characters 'reason' bugs me. Marvel Studios, deprived of their biggest heroes (Spider-Man at Sony and X-Men at Fox) took one of their lesser-known characters, Iron Man, and made him a household name. It makes sense that WB would introduce the smaller characters like The Flash and Aquaman in an ensemble film first to gauge interest.

- The 'No TV crossover' reason also sticks out. Having them connected is cool in a way, but it restricts creativity on the film and TV side (I'm looking at Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.). It's been well-documented that WB intends to keep the TV and movie DC universes separate. Plus the acting isn't spectacular on "Arrow" and "The Flash." It makes sense to keep it separate.

- The so-called "no humor" mandate. The fact they're bringing in Cyborg and The Flash seems to indicate the exact opposite of what the writer is implying.

- No films until 2016 -- WB doesn't just consist of DC Comics. They make all kinds of films, and the reason Marvel Studios can put out 2-3 movies a year is because that's all they're focused on. WB needs to take their time and hopefully get it right as they prep for the 2-films-a-year goal Marvel and Disney are doing. I'd rather have a decent film in 2016 rather than a rushed product fast-tracked for next year.

- The 2-part Justice League film. A valid point on the 2-year gap, but like with any other studio, WB can and has shifted movies around. It could very well be a year-long gap depending on development and actors' schedules.

- Planning too far in advance? Excuse me? Marvel apparently has their movies planned up through 2021, and yet this person gripes when WB plants stakes on April 2020 and June 2020.