The DCU - DC Universe

Jay

3 minutes ago, Edmilson said:

That said, and discounting Gunn's movie (which apparently will be a reboot or something)

So Gunn's film will completely ignore the existence of the previous film and be set in a separate universe?

• Replies 4.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

18 minutes ago, Þekþiþm said:

So Gunn's film will completely ignore the existence of the previous film and be set in a separate universe?

Well, it retains some of the same cast, so consider it a soft reboot.  A Ghostbusters Afterlife instead of a Ghostbusters 2016.

17 minutes ago, Smeltington said:

I just wanna hear Daniel Pemberton's score for Birds of Prey, but the score album isn't out til THIS Friday. Wtf.

Pemberton? That could be interesting. :)

Karol

About Joker, this article on BMD sums up the problem with WB when bringing this character to the big screen:

Now That JOKER Has Won At The Oscars, Can We Let The Joker Be Fun Again?

https://birthmoviesdeath.com/2020/02/10/after-joker-wins-at-the-oscars-can-we-let-the-joker-be-funny-again

Nolan, Snyder and WB's execs combined did more damage to the DC brand on the theaters than any supervillain ever could.

All this controversy about the name is ridiculous.

Sure, the original subtitle is ludicrous (though that's kind of the point), but put the blame on the movie being called Birds of Prey and not Harley Quinn is just an excuse for the poor marketing strategies. Movies starring super teams that only comic book nerds knew about, such as Guardians of the Galaxy and even Suicide Squad, were hits at the box office.

The marketing was terrible, the strategies of release were pathetic, and now the movie is suffering because of that, not the title.

10 hours ago, Edmilson said:

Here's the living Oscar estatuette, I mean, Wonder Woman in her new suit:

A imagem pode conter: 1 pessoa, texto

Also: gosh, the photoshopping of Gadot's head on the rest of the body here is horrendous!

HOLY FUCK :lovethis:

26 minutes ago, mstrox said:

We're seeing Birds of Prey as a Valentine's date!  Blame February for not having anything more interesting in theaters.  It was this or a second showing of Star Wars.

I don't there are no comic book heroes or spaceships in it, but why don't you give 1917 a chance? 

Well, part of the deal is that it has to be a movie my spouse would also want to see, which leaves out 1917.

We will see Parasite as a Redbox rental for a buck - when we're spending $40+ at the movies, it's usually for something with explosions.

15 minutes ago, mstrox said:

Well, part of the deal is that it has to be a movie my spouse would also want to see, which leaves out 1917.

Tell her 1917 is not exactly a war movie (technically, it is, but anyway), but an action/adventure/thriller set during World War I about courage and determination to save lifes.

And it has a great Thomas Newman score.

8 minutes ago, TheUlyssesian said:

Parasite is ELECTRIC with an audience. My audience ate it up. It is thrilling, visceral, shocking and ultimately moving too.

I watched it without knowing anything about the film. It was one of the "mystery" showings at my local cinema. Absolutely loved it.

Karol

A Birds Of Prey Hashtag Is Trending With Solid Reasons To Support Harley Quinn's Movie

https://www.cinemablend.com/news/2490304/a-birds-of-prey-hashtag-is-trending-with-solid-reasons-to-support-harley-quinn-movie

So, does anyone here have a #ReasontoSupportBoP?

On 2/9/2020 at 2:33 PM, Arpy said:

They need to take things back to the drawing board and work out what creative direction is worth investing in. Go the animated route of Spiderverse, and make an interesting Teen Titans film series (I haven't seen the new show). Right now, the dark, edgy stuff seems to be all they can do until it's safe to dust off Batman and Superman again.

HBO Max apparently has a Green Lantern series in development. As much as I want a proper film series, WB is too gun shy after the 2011 film tanked. If they put Disney+ kind of money into it, that might be a better option.

7 hours ago, Edmilson said:

A Birds Of Prey Hashtag Is Trending With Solid Reasons To Support Harley Quinn's Movie

https://www.cinemablend.com/news/2490304/a-birds-of-prey-hashtag-is-trending-with-solid-reasons-to-support-harley-quinn-movie

It’s funnier than Deadpool, with less bloody John Wick-style action. It’s lightweight but Margot Robbie really embraces the Looney Tunes aspect of Harley. She makes the film worthwhile. One of the most colorful DC films too.

13 hours ago, Matt C said:

HBO Max apparently has a Green Lantern series in development. As much as I want a proper film series, WB is too gun shy after the 2011 film tanked. If they put Disney+ kind of money into it, that might be a better option.

WB is very stupid. If done right, a Green Lantern movie franchise could be their own Star Wars: a space adventure mixed with fantasy, colorful characters, engaging lore...

This HBO Max show will be produced by the Arrowverse guys, and judging by their output on those CW shows, it will focus mostly on Hal on Earth, and his romance with Carol Ferris.

We thought Birds of Prey was fun!  As far as DC movies, go, leagues better than Suicide Squad and MoS/BvS.  Not quite as good as Wonder Woman.  Probably Shazam level fun.  The characters were interesting, Robie was great, and McGregor was a great spoiled rich boy villain.

Compared to Deadpool, which is probably most people's comparison, it doesn't really compare at all.  It's true that this is pretty violent and the language is pretty vulgar (moreso than the movie really calls for, IMO), but the two movies are pretty dissimilar stylistically. Where a significant draw of Deadpool is the extreme metahumor, that's absent in this, and for the most part the humor in Birds of Prey is more character based than the punchline humor of Deadpool.

20 hours ago, Edmilson said:

No, it's just a movie and people should see it if they want to see it.  Fandom is dumb.

Batman is a great role model. Now he teaches kids the dangers of drinking too much alcohol.

Ben Affleck Gets Candid About His 'The Batman' Exit

On Jan. 30, 2019, Ben Affleck confirmed he was retiring as Batman, a move that ended nearly 18 months of speculation about his future as The Dark Knight, and which paved the way for Robert Pattinson to step into the role for Matt Reeves' The Batman.

Now, in a revealing interview with the New York Times, Affleck explains his reasons for leaving the project, which at one point he was going to direct and star in. The Times profile notes Affleck's struggles with alcoholism, his split from his ex-wife Jennifer Garner, and the troubles he had shooting and promoting 2017's Justice League all came to a head.

“I showed somebody The Batman script," Affleck said. "They said, 'I think the script is good. I also think you’ll drink yourself to death if you go through what you just went though again.'"

Filmmaker Zack Snyder cast Affleck as Bruce Wayne/Batman in August 2013 for Batman v. Superman: Dawn of Justice. Affleck also briefly played the character in 2016's Suicide Squad, and long had plans to write and direct The Batman. But even before Justice League opened to muted results in November 2017, cracks were beginning to show in Affleck's future as the Dark Knight. In February 2017, Reeves boarded as director, and by July the filmmaker had noted he had dropped Affleck's script.

Affleck has moved on from the role, and next will be seen in the sports drama The Way Back, in which he plays a high school basketball coach struggling with alcoholism. As for The Batman, Reeves recently showed off the first look at Pattinson in the role for the film, which opens in 2021.

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/ben-affleck-batman-exit-youll-drink-yourself-death-1279838

On 2/18/2020 at 9:25 AM, Edmilson said:

WB is very stupid. If done right, a Green Lantern movie franchise could be their own Star Wars: a space adventure mixed with fantasy, colorful characters, engaging lore...

This HBO Max show will be produced by the Arrowverse guys, and judging by their output on those CW shows, it will focus mostly on Hal on Earth, and his romance with Carol Ferris.

I think Greg Berlanti wants to get the character right. He would probably take another big-screen opportunity if he was allowed to do it his way, a la the CW DC shows. But his film deal is at 20th Century/Disney for now.

9 hours ago, Gruesome Son of a Bitch said:

Looks like another trashy Hot Topic movie. Are we sure these weren't made in 2003 and shelved all these years?

Isn't it supposed to look somewhat trashy? This team doesn't have fancy spandex suits.

On 2/18/2020 at 11:49 PM, Edmilson said:

Batman is a great role model. Now he teaches kids the dangers of drinking too much alcohol.

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/ben-affleck-batman-exit-youll-drink-yourself-death-1279838

Yeah lets make fun of his alcoholism...