The DCU - DC Universe

Jay

• Replies 4.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

28 minutes ago, Koray Savas said:

Batman & Robin is probably the more entertaining of the two. 

It's so entertaining: 

Batman & Robin: 3,7/10

Rotten Tomatoes 11%

Oh, so those numbers tell you people actually think it's a masterpiece? :lol: 

Or maybe it's another hoax? :lol:

Fake news?

I thought I had seen every ludicrous opinion until I saw people on this thread defending Batman and Robin of all things. Geez, that movie is indefensible.

You may like it, but it's not a good movie by any known standard of film analysis. 

1 minute ago, mstrox said:

Both aren't very good, but only one is fun.

I'll be the first to admit that Batman & Robin is a mess, but it's a ridiculously watchable extravagant one.

I both laugh and cringe at the same time when I remember the Bat-credit card scene. 

Never the Dark Knight have been so humiliated. Unless maybe on that comic a few years ago that unsheathed his dick.

2 hours ago, Romão said:

Well, Batman & Robin is intentionally ridiculous, for better or worse. Batman V Superman is unintentionally ridiculous, for better or worse.

This. 

3 hours ago, Alexcremers said:

Oh, so those numbers tell you people actually think it's a masterpiece? :lol: 

Or maybe it's another hoax? :lol:

Fake news?

No one is calling it a masterpiece. Sometimes films are so bad and ridiculous that they are fun and entertaining to watch. Troll 2, for example. 

Yet, when Batman & Robin is serious in scenes between Bruce Wayne and Alfred, it feels exactly like Batman should. When Bruce Wayne and Alfred interact in Batman v Superman, it's two miserable people that seem to be sick of one another. It's a terrible vision of Batman.

I've never seen Batman & Robin, but I sat through the theatrical version and the "Ultimate Edition" that allegedly fixes all the problems of Batman V Superman and I was physically and mentally exhausted by that film, in the worst way possible.

Batman and Robin looks far more enjoyable, even if it is still bad. There's so bad it's good (or at least...fun.) and then there's just...bad.

4 hours ago, Romão said:

Well, Batman & Robin is intentionally ridiculous, for better or worse. Batman V Superman is unintentionally ridiculous, for better or worse.

Man has a point!😁

Can someone PLEASE CG out that visible wire from the BATMAN clip?

Thank you , citizen!

7 hours ago, Koray Savas said:

This. 

No one is calling it a masterpiece. Sometimes films are so bad and ridiculous that they are fun and entertaining to watch. Troll 2, for example. 

Sometimes, yes, but not always. 

5 hours ago, Romão said:

Not to mention,  the score to Batman & Robin rocks

Any good places to start? I have to admit, I've been guilty of thinking it's a rehash of Batman Forever all these years.

1 minute ago, PuhgreÞiviÞm said:

.. all that trendy dark and disturbing shit.

Have you forgotten that Burton's Batman is exactly that? 

5 minutes ago, Nick Parker said:

Any good places to start? I have to admit, I've been guilty of thinking it's a rehash of Batman Forever all these years.

It's not, really.

5 minutes ago, Alexcremers said:

Have you forgotten that Burton's Batman is exactly that? 

It's not, really.

8 minutes ago, Nick Parker said:

Pretty much.

I whittled the 2 disc promo to one disc and even that is too much.

The new  stuff , like the jazzy Ivy theme are cool.  So, is the opening scene fight music

If EG released a well programmed 45 minute album, I would purchase it.

Just now, PuhgreÞiviÞm said:

He has. But it hasn't been officially released.

I know he prepared a thoughtful presentation, like he did with FOREVER.

I had no desire to get the BF expansion- the ost was great!

20 minutes ago, PuhgreÞiviÞm said:

It's not, really.

But it is, and it's not fake news. Burton took Batman away from the camp it was known for and made it adult and dark. Nolan made it more realistic and less comic book.

Man, I have alot of Bat.music in my collection:

Danny Elfman BATMAN COLLECTION ( 4 cd)

MASK OF THE PHANTASM

B:TAS v.1- 3 ( multi discs)

TDKR

BF

B + R

Top that !😍

Plus the DVD of TDKR, TDK and 3 vol. Of TAS

Just now, Alexcremers said:

But it is, and it's not fake news.

It's not. Not in the modern realistic and relatable trend. Kids think Returns is too fantasy to exist within their grim world of doom and gloom.

1 minute ago, PuhgreÞiviÞm said:

Not in the modern realistic and relatable trend. 

That's true, I explained it further in my post.

6 hours ago, bruce marshall said:

I know he prepared a thoughtful presentation, like he did with FOREVER.

I had no desire to get the BF expansion- the ost was great!

The OST was indeed great, but the expansion did open up the Riddler theme for me, how it is carefully developed throughout the score. Plus, it has several new statements of this theme:

This is, in my view, one of the most gorgeous and sensuous love themes ever written. Why use it on such a wafer thin character?

All of his themes are great!  The complete presentation is a bit energy sucking - takes a lot to make it through it.  The OST is a better presentation.  Same with Elfman's first Batman, IMO, but Returns is much better as a longer, fuller piece.

BATMAN and ROBIN

The MARSHALL Mix

Museum Mayhem

Barbara Arrives

Ivy and Bruce

Cool Party Crasher

Matters of Trust

Partners Three

Prison Break/Freeze Lair/New Identity/Observatory

Final Battle

TT:49:11

22 hours ago, Nick Parker said:

Honestly: it kind of is. What I believe is supposed to be the Mr. Freeze theme is based heavily on Two-Face's, and a lot of bits from Forever are brought back that don't deviate too far from how they appear there. However, it manages to still have enough of its own identity by focusing more heavily on the jazzier and bombastic/operatic elements, whilst dialing down the more experimental aspects.

I'd definitely recommend the cancelled OST if you can find it, since any of the expanded sets (be it the "film stem" boot, the sessions, and any fan edits of the two) exhaust me and remind me why I like Forever more in general. The more amped up over the top approach to the material is just not as compelling in spite of supposedly being better for it. The album condenses it all to the moments that I think work best while not going too overboard with all the action heavy cues.

17 hours ago, Romão said:

The OST was indeed great, but the expansion did open up the Riddler theme for me, how it is carefully developed throughout the score. Plus, it has several new statements of this theme:

This is, in my view, one of the most gorgeous and sensuous love themes ever written. Why use it on such a wafer thin character?

I was actually tempted to post this in the favorite moments thread along with the other stuff in my Batman Forever post. I'm fascinated by sexiness in music, and the stuff starting at :27 is so sexy. I wish it went more of its own direction before slipping into the Batman theme.

I also love how Williams and Goldenthal share the dramatic instinct when confronted with weird cartoony characters to go into Prokofiev mode.

1 hour ago, HunterTech said:

Honestly: it kind of is. What I believe is supposed to be the Mr. Freeze theme is based heavily on Two-Face's, and a lot of bits from Forever are brought back that don't deviate too far from how they appear there. However, it manages to still have enough of its own identity by focusing more heavily on the jazzier and bombastic/operatic elements, whilst dialing down the more experimental aspects.

I'd definitely recommend the cancelled OST if you can find it, since any of the expanded sets (be it the "film stem" boot, the sessions, and any fan edits of the two) exhaust me and remind me why I like Forever more in general. The more amped up over the top approach to the material is just not as compelling in spite of supposedly being better for it. The album condenses it all to the moments that I think work best while not going too overboard with all the action heavy cues.

Thanks for the recommendation!

So the OST was assembled by Goldenthal but then ultimately unreleased? Don't score albums normally predate the film?

How does the never released album compare with what I came up with?

15 hours ago, bruce marshall said:

BATMAN and ROBIN

The MARSHALL Mix

Museum Mayhem

Barbara Arrives

Ivy and Bruce

Cool Party Crasher

Matters of Trust

Partners Three

Prison Break/Freeze Lair/New Identity/Observatory

Final Battle

TT:49:11

Even this is a bit much!

I sometimes conclude with " Partners Three"

The only bits I really miss in the cancelled album are the entire opening gambit (we only get exactly a minute of it in the track Defenders of Gotham), and Poison Ivy's seductive dance when she meets Batman and Robin. Otherwise the sound quality beats any of the previous "complete" versions.

I do miss the new version of Chase Noir with saxaphone instead of muted trumpet. Like I said above, that theme really gets to me

The deleted scenes mentioned were on the Special Edition DVD 15 years ago and every reissue of the movie since.  It wasn't every deleted part, however. 

Batman Forever already runs a bit long and I wouldn't want those scenes reincorporated, especially since Goldenthal seemed to score the theatrical cut and the aborted bits are unfinished. I'm not positive, but I've believed that was the case since the very rough deleted scenes were included on the DVD and the sessions don't seem to include any aborted scenes. 

That's why I'd be curious in this earlier version, since there's a possibility the film could feel a bit different with all the added back stuff, if Peter David's novelization is anything to go by. It's just that I'm sure they'll have to track bits from the score for those parts, since the sessions/LLL release don't indicate cues made specifically for any deleted scenes.

15 hours ago, Nick Parker said:

Thanks for the recommendation!

So the OST was assembled by Goldenthal but then ultimately unreleased? Don't score albums normally predate the film?

For the Schumacher flicks, the "Music Inspired By" albums probably took higher priority, given the hit singles both films produced. But since B&R was quick to get the reputation it did, they figured the sales would be too low, so they binned it. The interesting thing is that it definitely is properly mixed and mastered, so it had to have been a real last minute decision.

13 hours ago, PuhgreÞiviÞm said:

Poison Ivy's seductive dance when she meets Batman and Robin.

Supposedly, this track actually isn't Goldenthal, since it's a cover of a pre-existing song ("Poison Ivy"), which the credits only list "Produced by Jai Winding." So it doesn't surprise me that it hasn't shown up on any of the stuff directly from EG's archives.

I'm not a fan of faked extended editions. It was common when these scenes were released on DVD to slap together underscore with tracked music, or no music at all since they were rough unscored scenes. They even did it with Titanic's deleted scenes that were actually scored. It makes it feel phony. They're not meant to be in the movie, so I just prefer to view them as their own separate thing.

Instead of taking screenshots of your phone displaying a news article, simply copy and paste the URL of the article into your post.  Thanks!