The DCU - DC Universe

Jay

• Replies 4.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On 7/13/2020 at 7:12 AM, Jay said:

Instead of taking screenshots of your phone displaying a news article, simply copy and paste the URL of the article into your post.  Thanks!

You mean like Publicist did with that complete filmography of Morricone?😉

On 7/7/2020 at 10:46 AM, Gruesome Son of a Bitch said:

FB_IMG_1594143979400.jpg

The guy who called it " best ever" is in the FBI Witness protection program

Bought the Blus of the Burton + Keaton Bat-flicks from eBay at the beginning of the week. From a time when DC weren't ham-fistedly attempting 'universe building' while enviously regarding Marvel's box-office returns.   

I really wish all Batman flicks were self contained in their own universe. This expanded cinematic universe crap might be good for some characters, but it does not suit Batman, at all

On the comics and cartoons Batman works just fine alongside Superman, Wonder Woman, Green Lantern, etc. If filmmakers used them as inspirations, instead of just ignoring them ("My own Batman will be dark, grim and adult! Comics are lame!"), DC would have their cinematic universe years before Marvel's.

New pic for WW84:

Realms212334563133

Anyone else remembers that, in Batman v Superman, Diana said she remained hidden for the last 100 years, since the WWI? But here's she in the 80s, doing Wonder Woman action while everyone watches it.

I wouldn't count on continuity ruling the DCU at this point - it's a salvage mission.  Better to make good movies than be hamstrung by some dumb line in a movie they want everyone to forget about.

41 minutes ago, bruce marshall said:

How about something of the quality of MASK OF PHANTASM; possibly the BEST Batflic ever?

I wouldn't say it's the best, but it's up there.

There's a handful of ways to portray Batman and the other heroes in the League that is now almost impossible to do and I think that's because of how the Nolan films set a dark, gritty precedent that works in its own, unique way, and then you try and mingle that with the other characters in the League and the mystique, the intrigue and what makes them special in their own right is all stripped away. We didn't have the same issues with MCU's Avengers because of the difference in tone and style. It's the same issue with Superman; how do you take this colorful, righteous superhero and put him in a modern film where morally grey is the new black? Why can we have competent and intriguing animated shows and films, but these shoddy live action attempts fall flat? Is it the freedom that animation allows the genre to take form, where live action must conform to certain conventions?

I grew up loving superheroes through their animated forms and the thing is they didn't speak down to their younger audiences; they managed to maintain a nice balance of dark and light that made the character interesting. Something like the Justice League worked there because they had successfully established each of the characters in their own right without sacrificing anything for the sake of having a 'team-up' - and that get's to the heart of the real issue is that these live action films may have some directors and writers involved who've had successful films in the past, but even that isn't enough to distract from the fact that the films are hollow and baseless. They're hollow, passionless and cold attempts at jumping on the superhero cash train.

This whole Snyder Cut bullshit is pointless. The kinds of changes needed to fix that film would necessitate a total remake.

I remember seeing an interview with Zack Znyder while he was filming Man of Steel.

He told a story about how, during initial talks with DC, it wasn’t set in stone which superhero he would “get”. He said he wanted Batman, and DC was like, “no, you can’t have Batman”. His reply apparently was “ok, then how about Superman?

That worried me back then, that this guy had no initial love for Superman. And I was right, the movie treated the character  horribly, but apparently people were happy just because they got to see him throw a punch (which apparently was the main problem of Superman Returns - no punching).

And then when he got to do a sequel, what happened? He got Batman. And the Man of Steel-sequel turned into a Batman movie.

Batman always works best it its own, self contained, universe. You start throwing super powered beings all around him and the whole thing gets sillier by the minute

See, this is the kind of thought that people who only watched the movies have. 

Because on the comics and animated TV shows, Batman ALWAYS have lived alongside more fantastic elements. He has always been a founding member of the Justice League, and worked alongside them to prevent all kinds of threats.

And for people who are afraid Batman can't work alongside Superman, Wonder Woman and Green Lantern in a live action movie, well, Marvel managed to have more "realistic" heroes like Black Widow and Hawkeye starring side by side with the Avengers and Guardians of the Galaxy to battle aliens and an evil robot. If Black Widow can throw a few punches on Thanos' minions, why Batman can't face Darkseid on battle?

1 hour ago, TheUlyssesian said:

Also remember Snyder said that in his interpretation of Batman, he would get raped in prison.

Snyder and Verhoeven should work together!

1 hour ago, TheUlyssesian said:

Also remember Snyder said that in his interpretation of Batman, he would get raped in prison.

Of course he did. He's a dumbass. 

11 minutes ago, gkgyver said:

Of course he did. He's a dumbass. 

That's what they do to jailed cops so it makes sense. 

2 minutes ago, Edmilson said:

That's why Snyder never should've been allowed to handle DC's super-heroes. 

Or he could have been perfect if they didn't put him in chains.

1 hour ago, Edmilson said:

And for people who are afraid Batman can't work alongside Superman, Wonder Woman and Green Lantern in a live action movie, well, Marvel managed to have more "realistic" heroes like Black Widow and Hawkeye starring side by side with the Avengers and Guardians of the Galaxy to battle aliens and an evil robot. If Black Widow can throw a few punches on Thanos' minions, why Batman can't face Darkseid on battle?

Black Widow and Hawkeye weren't even characters in those films though. So little development that when Widow sacrificed herself in Endgame I didn't feel any emotional weight. 

7 minutes ago, AC1 said:

I don't think so, his vision was never right for what these heroes represented.

Here's a cool video essay investigating why the DCEU didn't work out as planned, and Snyder's fault on it:

1 minute ago, Arpy said:

Black Widow and Hawkeye weren't even characters in those films though. So little development that when Widow sacrificed herself in Endgame I didn't feel any emotional weight. 

My point is, if Black Widow and Hawkeye, who are common human beings trained in martial arts, can survive in amidst evil robots and alien warlords, Batman also can work alongside Superman and Wonder Woman. 

He has been a member of the Justice League for decades, and even on his solo comics he has faced otherworldly, supernatural enemies. Cinema is the only place where he has been kept "realistic and relatable".

2 hours ago, Edmilson said:

See, this is the kind of thought that people who only watched the movies have. 

Because on the comics and animated TV shows, Batman ALWAYS have lived alongside more fantastic elements. He has always been a founding member of the Justice League, and worked alongside them to prevent all kinds of threats.

I own and have read over 800 Batman comics. I know what has been done with the character. I just think certain types of stories and supporting players don't serve the character well, at all. In fact, I think Batman is recurrently used in the Justice League just to boost up the sales and visibility of far less popular characters.

Batman works best in Gotham. It's part of that place. It's like the city's own immune system. You start putting him in spaceships and it's not quite the same thing anymore.I'm not saying it cannot be done, as it has been done countless times before, but I vastly, vastly prefer Batman stories set in its own, self contained, universe

4 hours ago, AC1 said:

Maybe John Wayne Gacy could have been a perfect orphan tutor if they didn't lock him up so prematurely. 

5 hours ago, Edmilson said:

I don't think so, his vision was never right for what these heroes represented.

Here's a cool video essay investigating why the DCEU didn't work out as planned, and Snyder's fault on it:

My point is, if Black Widow and Hawkeye, who are common human beings trained in martial arts, can survive in amidst evil robots and alien warlords, Batman also can work alongside Superman and Wonder Woman. 

He has been a member of the Justice League for decades, and even on his solo comics he has faced otherworldly, supernatural enemies. Cinema is the only place where he has been kept "realistic and relatable".

I continue to maintain that Snyder's masterpiece is 300.

He is wrong for mainstream four quadrant movies. That's not his sensibility at all.

Snyder is best making fringe weird freakish movies at a slightly mid budget level - not higher than $100 mil and then they can be either hits or not.

Don't fucking task him with a $350 mil movie. He ain't right for it.

Also Snyder can literally never work in anything less than an R rating.

So I'd agree that he was absolutely and completely wrong with DCEU and I actually like him despite what it might seem.

Watchmen is a failure. All his DC movies are failures because he is working in studio confines. Though in Watchmen he was not.

But yeah, the DCEU is an absolute failure. They really should have known that after MOS underperformed. They should have course corrected. But they doubled down with BvS.

Wow, I thought that the general consensus was - no matter the overall opinion on Snyder’s DC movies - that his version of Batfleck at least was good.

Guess not.

In that case, not only did Snyder manage to f* up Superman, but Batman as well.

The comically bad origin story flashback when Superman says "sssssaaaaAAAAVE MMMmmmaaaAAAAARTHA" is cringe. 

"IN CASE YOU ARE THE STUPIDEST AMOEBA ALIVE, HERE'S HIS PARENTS STORY AGAIN!" 

31 minutes ago, TheUlyssesian said:

I continue to maintain that Snyder's masterpiece is 300.

He is wrong for mainstream four quadrant movies. That's not his sensibility at all.

Snyder is best making fringe weird freakish movies at a slightly mid budget level - not higher than $100 mil and then they can be either hits or not.

Don't fucking task him with a $350 mil movie. He ain't right for it.

Also Snyder can literally never work in anything less than an R rating.

So I'd agree that he was absolutely and completely wrong with DCEU and I actually like him despite what it might seem.

Watchmen is a failure. All his DC movies are failures because he is working in studio confines. Though in Watchmen he was not.

But yeah, the DCEU is an absolute failure. They really should have known that after MOS underperformed. They should have course corrected. But they doubled down with BvS.

I like Snyder's Watchmen, it's a good film in my opinion. But you're right, his sensibilities are too R-Rated to fit the usual DC universe.

1 hour ago, rough cut said:

Wow, I thought that the general consensus was - no matter the overall opinion on Snyder’s DC movies - that his version of Batfleck at least was good.

Guess not.

In that case, not only did Snyder manage to f* up Superman, but Batman as well.

I am not exaggerating when I say this - I would consider Ben Affleck as batman to be the worst casting in a comic book movie ever. Absolutely indefensibly awful and horrible.

1 hour ago, Edmilson said:

I like Snyder's Watchmen, it's a good film in my opinion. But you're right, his sensibilities are too R-Rated to fit the usual DC universe.

Watchmen has too much story for Snyder. His sweet spot is a relatively simpler story that he can layer on with visuals. Something too complex and it begins to fall apart.

19 hours ago, Romão said:

Batman works best in Gotham. It's part of that place. It's like the city's own immune system. You start putting him in spaceships and it's not quite the same thing anymore.I'm not saying it cannot be done, as it has been done countless times before, but I vastly, vastly prefer Batman stories set in its own, self contained, universe

Yes! The intrigue of the character to be able to operate in his/her own world is extinguished the moment other fantastical elements/superheroes enter the story. 

• 2 weeks later...

I assumed once Keaton was involved that there would be some cross-dimensional thing at play.  I haven't seen Justice League, but isn't there some hint in BvS or JL that this is the case as well?  Like The Flash popping up and blipping out of existence again?