The DCU - DC Universe

Jay

• Replies 4.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Watching Fox News makes you less informed than watching no news at all.

https://www.businessinsider.com/study-watching-fox-news-makes-you-less-informed-than-watching-no-news-at-all-2012-5?r=US&IR=T

Could explain why Drax and Gruesome come across as thickheaded.

1 hour ago, AC1 said:

The same can be said about BvS, which was surprisingly decent up until the final act, which starts with the infamous "Wait! Your mother's name is Martha?" scene. From that moment on, the movie was surprisingly bad. 

Still, Venom was so childish, Venom's voice such a terrible idea, the humor so poor ... It never had any potential from the start.

The humor was godawful and I would say that where the bones of a genuine film are buried in a piece of shit like Venom, BvS is a hollow, disingenuous, sloppy, poorly written film that takes both characters of Batman and Superman and turns them into action figures, chucked at the wall like a child playing with them. The difference between a child and a director playing though, is that one has heart and imagination and the other is paid to make movies. There is no heart or soul in BvS, no genuine characters and the two iconic characters are nothing more than halloween costumes in a nightmare of CGI. Somehow it's worse than Man of Steel.

1 minute ago, AC1 said:

https://www.businessinsider.com/study-watching-fox-news-makes-you-less-informed-than-watching-no-news-at-all-2012-5?r=US&IR=T

Is the one you call " Drax" the Trump lover?

I call him KOTM😊

2 minutes ago, AC1 said:

unnamed (1).gif

3 minutes ago, bruce marshall said:

Is the one you call " Drax" the Trump lover?

I call him KOTM😊

Yes, the Trump lover. Heck, he's even planning to dress up as a police officer and protect the Orange One when he refuses to leave the WH in January. 

1 minute ago, AC1 said:

Yes, the Trump lover. Heck, he's even planning to dress up as a police officer and protect the Orange One when he refuses to leave the WH in January. 

You nuts really think he's gonna lose, huh. Ah well, leave you to your false sense of security!

3 hours ago, AC1 said:

No, unlike me, Steef, Quint and Richard thought this scene from MOS was funny.

What a fucking joke. Right after Superman threatens humanity by smashing a satellite in front of the military, instead of being scared shitless, they just make this horribly out of place banter like nothing happened. 

Even for a character where I think a certain amount of darkness is appropriate, The Batman looks utterly bloody humourless ... even the Nolan/Bale trilogy had its lighter moments (the Bruce and Lucius Fox scenes for example, 'tipping the hat' to the Bond franchise's Q-Branch scenes). 

I'm not saying it'll flop necessarily, but isn't it just possible that after this clusterfuck of a year people will be looking for a bit of uplifting escapist fun (as opposed to unrelenting gloom) from their big-screen heroes?  

45 minutes ago, Sweeping Strings said:

Even for a character where I think a certain amount of darkness is appropriate, The Batman looks utterly bloody humourless ... even the Nolan/Bale trilogy had its lighter moments (the Bruce and Lucius Fox scenes for example, 'tipping the hat' to the Bond franchise's Q-Branch scenes). 

I'm not saying it'll flop necessarily, but isn't it just possible that after this clusterfuck of a year people will be looking for a bit of uplifting escapist fun (as opposed to unrelenting gloom) from their big-screen heroes?  

Well, you will have your WW84, which will be filled with lighthearted '80s stuff. Everybody happy!

Wonder-Woman-x-Kristen-Wiig-x-Article.jp

I think so too, but who knows. Everyone keeps throwing the words 'human' and 'relatable' around. And Colin Farrell is apparently having a blast, as is Zoe Kravitz. I am sure there will be humor there, even if it is only from Andy Serkis.

I like my Batman dark personally. I wouldn't care if there wasn't a single joke that wasn't delivered in spite by a villain.

I've been watching Teen Wolf and the young Clark Kent from Man of Steel is in it, he'd make a fine Superman in the future and doesn't look too dissimilar to Cavill.

9 hours ago, AC1 said:

...and watching the BBC makes you feel like a Nazi sympathiser.

1 hour ago, AC1 said:

So basically what you're asking is for Nolan to make a Cavill Superman film? 

Angels, and ministers of grace, defend us!

20 hours ago, Arpy said:

@Sweeping Strings All we've seen is the trailer and I've never known Batman to be anything other than dark and edgy. The Nolan trilogy had some lighter moments, but it was still dark and a little depressing.

batman-tvshow-1000x523.jpg

BatmanRobin.0.jpg

Not ALWAYS dark and edgy, but I take your point.

39 minutes ago, Arpy said:

I was referring to comic book Batman, not the camp variants!

Ah, I thought you were talking about onscreen Batman only. Hehehe. 

Clooney did say in an interview that B and R killed the franchise for 8 years and that he should take some responsibility for that. Fair play to him. 

He was quite dark at the beginning. Moved away from it during the 50s and into the 60s (everything in comics did, censorship) and then started coming back slowly after that. Once the TV show ended, writers tried desperately to find some middle ground that wouldn't turn off the audience but would align more with the character's original conception. I prefer all my superheroes to be complex, multi-faceted humans with flaws. I don't go in for the terminally upbeat stuff myself. I prefer DC for this reason. Marvel tends to try to appeal to everyone by giving us a little of everything every time: humor, a romance, mild terror, a theme park of set-pieces. I find this to be the lowest common denominator when it comes to creativity, sort of writing a film by committee. Visual pop songs. They have had 5-star films so it has occasionally been the right recipe. DC has been guilty as well, but often settles for one mood or conception, closely linked to its creator: Nolan, Burton, Snyder, Schumaker.

Batman shouldn't be dark and disturbing and it also shouldn't be a serious crime drama. It's about a guy who dresses in a bat costume and fights a clown and a guy in a spacesuit with a freeze ray.