The DCU - DC Universe

Jay

• Replies 4.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So where do you get the impression from?

Superman was featured prominently because that's the character everyone's familiar with in this recently established universe. This new movie is already confirmed as a non-sequel to Man of Steel. My feeling is that it will actually feature more Batman and serve as a quasi-introductory movie for that character into the DCU.

The look just look trashy. There's a certain endearing quality to the first one that is inherent to the character. But even in the comics they have started to cater to those sort of fanboy sexual fantasies. A shame, really

That show had an unique quality that appealed to both kids and adults, a balance none of the films ever achieved.

Karol

Harley Quinn was created for an animated series that began as children's programming, before moving to prime time after three months, before moving back to and staying at Saturday mornings. She later became adopted by comic book writers.

The Animated Series version is obviously for a kids show.

They could not have gone very far in those days.

I guess you can create a middleground starting from the animated one that looks cool in live-action.

They are going for gritty and realistic!

Realistic?

Marvel (in the MCU) seems to be completely fine with embracing their comic roots, while WB/DC and Fox's Marvel films seem to strive to make everything as grounded in reality as possible. The Fox Marvel films have lightened up a bit, but DC seems to be so blind to how much money the Nolan trilogy made they feel the need to make all their properties as "dark and gritty" as those were.

Sony embraced the comic roots even more than Disney/Marvel - based on TASM 1 & 2 and where it seemed Sinister Six was going - and I still think its a shame they gave in to the big mouse instead of continuing on their own path. TASM2 was not nearly as bad as everyone led me to believe, and they did a ton of world building in that film that deserved to get a pay off. Oh well.

Back to Disney Marvel - they know to have a unified universe, you only need to have the plots of the various pieces influence each other; They embrace lettings the directors of each property give them their own touch, their own feel. A variety of styles that mesh well because of plot continuity.

DC seems to just want to have Nolan oversee everything they do... and announce casting choices for films 4-5 years out instead of focusing all energy on making good films now ...

The MCU developed slowly, and deliberately. The DCU is being forced upon us extremely quickly.

The character was never slutty or trashy in its original creation. It's not only a matter of the look of the costume. It's her whole demeanor. She became that way in the more recent comics and video games. And that absolutely isn't the character I feel in love with

I still want to find something to like about what I see about these DC projects but...

And I still don't understand what's so realistic and grounded about everything? Making everything in dark colours and gritty and/or serious and/or trashy doesn't make stuff realistic. It just makes it... that.

I still want to find something to like about what I see about these DC projects but...

Yea. I mean, I enjoyed MOS when I saw it in the theater, but I haven't retained found memories and "I want to see that again!" feelings from it, and nothing about any of their upcoming films appear too exciting yet. Of course the next BvS teaser could change my mind; Who knows!

Marvel has done an excellent job considering they didnt even have any access to their biggest sellers, Spider-man and the X-men. They gor the general ton e and idea just right.

though I feel at some point, they will need to actually do something a bit more left field, moreso then GOTG, which was just like any Marvel film, but with a bit more irreverent comedy. Pity they didnt let Edgar Wright make Ant Man as a comedy.

I have no idea what DC is actually doing. They started their Universe later because Nolan was doing his Batman till 2012, but I dont really see much of a plan there.

Actually, from all their announcements, only the look of Harley and the Joker have really bothered me. And of course, I dread to see Batman being part of the Justice League (or fighting Superman for that matter). But truth be told, The Dark Knight Returns is the best Batman story I ever read, so they could have worse starting points. But the tone of that book is what made the whole concept work. And that tone is incredibly difficult to capture

It is quite impressive what Disney Marvel was able to do without access to Spider-man and The X-Men, who are easily the most recognizable superheroes in their repertoire, and who had had the most amount of television episodes prior to them starting to make their own films. They really did a good job of taking Iron Man, Thor, and Captain America and turning them into new superstars that today are just as recognizable as Spider-man and Wolverine.... and in fact there are a probably a whole generation of young kids right now who know the MCU heroes more than the X-Men ones just because of the current state of film franchises in both worlds. Remember a time when Cyclops was like, a major recognizable superhero? Seems so long ago now....

I still don't think WB has a particularly high mountain to climb in order to make better movies than Marvel. As sucessful, is quite hard. But the benchmark for quality is sent quite low, IMHO. Though I don't doubt they'll be quite able to lower even further

The thing is, Superman is easily the most recognized and most beloved of all superheroes ever made. And they haven't made a universally loved feature film starring him since the 70s!

Singer got it right with the X-Men when he limited them to a small group with distinct personalities. After the second film they began filling the movies with mutants all defined by their powers rather then characters, even the overrated First Class did this. Singer distilled it back ti basics for Days Of Future Past, for the 70's scenes at-least.

I think X-Men 2 still was a well made movie with well-defined characters.

For me it was X-Men 3 where the problems started, especially as you said by just filling the films with additional mutants defined only by their powers.

It took a decade and Singer returning to the franchise with DOFP to right the train again

The thing is, Superman is easily the most recognized and most beloved of all superheroes ever made. And they haven't made a universally loved feature film starring him since the 70s!

Remember the attempts at a Superman film in the 90's and early 00's. The development hell of a Spider-man film in those days. I can see why Marvel finally decided to take a crack at putting their characters on the screen themselves.

I suppose Warner has a point in not trying to out-Marvel Marvel imitating their whole process and tone. But the idea of a shared DC universe clearly has its origin in Marvel's attempt.

Marvel was wise to wait until the technology (CGI) improved enough to tackle a true-to-comics superhero world

I think X-Men 2 still was a well made movie with well-defined characters.

For me it was X-Men 3 where the problems started, especially as you said by just filling the films with additional mutants defined only by their powers.

It took a decade and Singer returning to the franchise with DOFP to right the train again

I agree. the first 2 films got it right. Like Whedon, Brian Singer knows what to do with an ensemble cast.

The Wolverine worked for me though, because it actually only featured 3 mutants. One of them Logan.

I liked The Wolverine, but I don't remember much about it. I need to see it again.

I still haven't seen all of Origins:Wolverine.

Marvel was wise to wait until the technology (CGI) improved enough to tackle a true-to-comics superhero world

With the soul exception of The Incredible Hulk, which was produced by Universal, all the MCU films have excellent effects. Iron-Man still holds up very very well

I suppose Warner has a point in not trying to out-Marvel Marvel imitating their whole process and tone. But the idea of a shared DC universe clearly has its origin in Marvel's attempt.

And the reverse kinda happened with the comics :)

Recognized I might agree, but Batman and Spiderman are clearly the most popular superheroes, and have been for several decades