The DCU - DC Universe

Jay

On 25/10/2020 at 7:44 PM, gkgyver said:

I mean: your argument is ridiculous. 

Why do you, as a mod, talk rudely to someone just posting news via screenshot, with the sole argument "that's not what people do"? 

Literally nobody cared until you singled him out for no reason. Is that how you help people "fit in"? 

Fit into what? 

You don't integrate people by forcing THEM to adapt other people's habits as their own. You integrate them by making the already existing people accept the new guy's habits. 

Through leading by EXAMPLE. 

He didn't break rules, he didn't curse, he posted a goddamn screenshot. 

Hmm, I didn't think I was rude at all, maybe my intended tone didn't come across on the screen.  Sorry about that! 

I just think, in general, links to places where people can get more information about a thing, are infinitely more useful than a screenshot of someone's phone, where you have to examine it and figure out what they are trying to show you. 

Here's an example of an alternate way one could have accomplished the intended goal:

~

Hey, I just got this Pennyworth show from the library, anybody here seen it? 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pennyworth_(TV_series)

~

On 25/10/2020 at 8:03 PM, PuhgreÞiviÞm said:

Jay reprimands people for the weirdest shit and enforces rules inconsistently and often reveals his biases in who he chooses to punish.

I think because I'm both a mod who also posts regularly as a normal user, people sometimes confuse my personal opinions with a mod mandate. 

And so so so so few people ever get "punished" on this forum. It's probably like, two bans a year, and most often they are just 24 hours. So many other forums are wayyyyy more strict. 

• Replies 4.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

8 minutes ago, PuhgreÞiviÞm said:

Jay reprimands people for the weirdest shit and enforces rules inconsistently and often reveals his biases in who he chooses to punish.

Indeed!

4 minutes ago, PuhgreÞiviÞm said:

It's the journalism syndrome. Job description says impartial, actions say partial, and with time, they think the latter is the former.

You guys are ridiculous. This is a film score themed discussion forum. Being able to talk about political news stories is a privilege not a right. There's endless places on the internet you can can go to share your political opinions. You don't have to do it here. 

It doesn't matter to why. Ricard doesn't want it on the forum he owns, so I enforce his decision. You can PM him if you want to have a conversation with him about it. 

2 hours ago, PuhgreÞiviÞm said:

Politics is about i. the dispute over the distribution of resources, and ii. administrative competence.

Why is that so taboo?

Why are you so obnoxious? 

I haven't seen those yet, but I think I enjoyed Man of Steel, Batman V Superman, and Justice League more than most here, and Wonder Woman less than most here.  Oh yea, and I saw that Aquaman movie too - it was a night we were drinking with friends, so we all reveled in it's goofy fun - good cast, too

I haven't said it's a good movie, I said it's a good movie to watch with your friends. It's the experience of watching Aquaman with friends that is good, not the movie itself (although I personally consider the movie okay when taken on its own).

2 hours ago, Jay said:

... I think I enjoyed Man of Steel, Batman V Superman, and Justice League more than most here, and Wonder Woman less than most here. 

To be honest, I experienced the same thing. I thought they were all okay, with ups and downs, but Wonder Woman was nothing but 'downs' for me. It's like that movie treated the audience as if they've never seen a movie before. 

Everything that happened you could see coming a mile away

I guess for young children it's far more exciting

Compared to the MCU, that is generally regarded as overall good (although we all might have a few differences here and there at what we consider the highs and the lows), the opinions on the movies making up the DCEU is all over the place.

I think the only thing even coming close to kind of a general opinion is that Wonder Woman was good. Other than that, each movie has both their defenders and their haters.

For me, it goes (In no particular order)

The good ones:

Wonder Woman

Aquaman

Shazam!

Justice League

The bad ones:

Man Of Steel

BvS (both cuts)

Suicide Squad

Birds Of Prey (or whatever that movie is called nowadays)

I don’t think I’ve met anyone with exactly the same likes/dislikes of the DCEU movies as me. There’s always something to disagree on! 😂

Gunn about his new Suicide Squad movie:

With a host of bonkers new players this time around – just look at David Dastmalchian’s Polka Dot Man, or the half-human King Shark, or not-even-half-human Weasel – there are hopes that Gunn can pull off something special with The Suicide Squad. He does, after all, have form in putting together a ‘bunch of A-holes’ in tonally-irreverent comic book adaptations – though his Squad is far less trustworthy than the Guardians. “I think you know, from pretty close to the beginning, that all of the Guardians are good – apart from Nebula, who’s the outlier,” Gunn explains. “But in The Suicide Squad, some of the characters end up being good, some end up being terrible. They don’t just get in fights and say they’re going to kill each other, they actually do get in fights and kill each other. You really don’t know who’s going to live and who’s going to die. I was given full freedom to kill anyone – and I mean anyone – by DC.”

https://www.empireonline.com/movies/news/the-suicide-squad-james-gunn-relates-david-ayer-film-different-guardians-exclusive-images/

Yeah, sure. As if DC won't use the Lazarus Pit to bring Harley back if he ends up killing her in TSS.

The new Suicide Squad poster is bad, but what really made me hate it is the ‘alternate’ version.

At least, poster 1 was consistent, all the characters trying to look “bad ass”. Poster 2 seems to try to “goof it up”, like it’s trying to be a “blooper” version of poster 1.

But some characters still look “bad ass”, just in a different pose (but they don’t do they?), and some characters they didn’t bother to change at all.

What’s up?

It’s seems sloppy, but I’m guessing that a multi million dollar production doesn’t do mistakes at this (amateur) level. Which leaves me to think that it’s intentional, but that doesn’t make sense either. Any one could point out that the lack of consistency is a bad thing.

So... what’s up???

I know, haha, but whatever, it’s all good.

I think my contribution in this thread tonight (both posted within one hour!) about

1) MCU as a whole vs DCEU as a whole, and

2) Suicide Squad poster 1 vs poster 2

were not only original in thought, but posed some entertaining questions and/or viewpoints.

That’s more than most people dream about! 😅

I’m not a hater. I’m a lover!

But if you are arguing that I care about (hate?) the Suicide Squad poster, then I hate to disappoint because actually - once again - I don’t.

Then again, it depends on the topic. Of course there are things I do care about. JWs scores, old and new. Superman movies, will there ever be another good one? And probably lots of other things.

I care about execution, perception and reception. I care about having an opinion. I care about insight - even if the subject is trivial.

Why do you care, if I care or not? I’m flattered, but surely there must be better ways to waste all this digital ink? 😉

(That’s rhetorical, no need to answer.)

Now can we move on? Please?

2 hours ago, Edmilson said:

Gunn about his new Suicide Squad movie:

https://www.empireonline.com/movies/news/the-suicide-squad-james-gunn-relates-david-ayer-film-different-guardians-exclusive-images/

Yeah, sure. As if DC won't use the Lazarus Pit to bring Harley back if he ends up killing her in TSS.

Exactly. The “who will he kill off first?” angle might preoccupy some people for awhile, but no one believes anymore that dead means dead in this genre of film. Which is unfortunate, because it gets real hard to care about characters or situations. When anything can be undone, there are literally no stakes.

I think at least as long as James Gunn is in charge, we won't have to worry about that:

https://twitter.com/JamesGunn/status/1320146417835339776?s=20

I get sometimes you can bring back characters in a cool way. But usually, if a character dies, & it's a meaningful part of the story, the character should stay dead.

But of course, there's probably nothing stopping some other filmmaker from coming along later and deciding to resurrect a character that Gunn killed off. But that's a ways down the road, if it ever happens.

• 4 weeks later...

We’ll watch Wonder Woman too.  I found the first one very watchable. Wouldn’t have gone to theaters in 2020 for this, so our free HBO Max through our ISP is just saving us an eventual rental fee.

3 hours ago, The Big Man said:

Great! But we don't have HBO Max in Australia. 

It’s hitting international screens a week early on December 16, whichever ones are still open by then.

Here in North America, WW84 will play in theaters that are open as well. It will only be on HBO Max for a month, then theaters have it exclusively for the next month before digital purchase and rollout after the third month. Then it come back on HBO Max after the physical releases.

• 2 weeks later...