The DCU - DC Universe

Jay

• Replies 4.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Without saying one is better than the other, he does have a point. The movie worlds of Marvel and DC are very different. He sees DC as "edgier", which is one way of putting it. For instance, TDK almost feels like a Michael Mann crime movie. And Batman or an humanoid alien on Earth is still more realistic than Hulk or Asgard.

Just what the kiddies are looking for.

At least Marvel is making sort of an effort to keep kids from feeling too alienated. All this grittiness in the DC universe is going to sink them. I'm not looking for a Tony Stark rip-off, as played by RDJ, but for god's stakes, get some joy in there from time to time.

Without saying one is better than the other, he does have a point. The movie worlds of Marvel and DC are very different. He sees DC as "edgier", which is one way of putting it. For instance, TDK almost feels like a Michael Mann crime movie. And Batman or an humanoid alien on Earth is still more realistic than Hulk or Asgard.

Just what the kiddies are looking for.

At least Marvel is making sort of an effort to keep kids from feeling too alienated. All this grittiness in the DC universe is going to sink them. I'm not looking for a Tony Stark rip-off, as played by RDJ, but for god's stakes, get some joy in there from time to time.

You're saying that at least Marvel is thinking about the kids? Hmmm. That is certainly true. Marvel is loved by kids and older kids. How about the TDK series and Nolan's Supes? Are the kids scratching their head while watching these movies? You might have a point! How about Guardians? Perhaps the funniest Marvel movie to date. Definitely more geared towards a younger age?

I always thought that the humor in Disney/Pixar movies was for the parents who accompanied their kids. Is that wrong of me? Yes, it probably is. How about the humor in Dreamworks animation flicks? That's more for the adults, right?

Anyway, I do think that especially Nolan's Supes could've done with a few more 'lighter' moments. Supes feels so oppressed (like Batman in TDK). Maybe they want to portray them too much as Christ figures.

Alex

It's a vain effort to appease DC comic fanboys who have spent their lifetimes yearning to be taken more seriously.

DC, in its current form, is like a brooding adolescent demonstrating his lack of self-assured maturity by demanding attention for its self-proclaimed "grown upedness".

None of the upcoming DC films / shows look compelling at all to me, unfortunately, which is a shame because I like the DC characters more than the Marvel ones. Shame their cinematic treatment is being handled so differently.

I've lost track of all these upcoming superhero flicks...they need to all go away for a while

The superhero film is today what the western was in the 50's and early 60's.

Simple, easy to understand entertainment for the masses. You know who's the bad good guy and who's the bad guy.

I never actually thought of it this way, but it's pretty accurate. The westerns had better scores though ;)

I'm afraid that I'm committed to anonymity on here, even if I were notable in any way.

But I am certainly good enough. Doctor Strange music has been forming in my imagination for decades.

I'm with Jason. I've always been in the DC camp. Growing up, Marvel didn't interest me much at all. It's disappointing how DC's cinematic attempts lately have turned out. I genuinely enjoy most of the Marvel films but nothing excites me about the upcoming DC slate of films. Even their best films (the Nolan Batman series), I think are overrated.

• 3 weeks later...

I'm with Jason. I've always been in the DC camp. Growing up, Marvel didn't interest me much at all. It's disappointing how DC's cinematic attempts lately have turned out. I genuinely enjoy most of the Marvel films but nothing excites me about the upcoming DC slate of films. Even their best films (the Nolan Batman series), I think are overrated.

Regardless of the quality, I'm glad it's not all Marvel and that there's still such a thing as 'diversity'.

Adewale Akinnuoye-Agbaje to Play Killer Croc in Suicide Squad

He joins a cast that includes Will Smith as Deadshot, Margot Robbie as Harley Quinn, Jared Leto as The Joker, Jai Courtney as Captain Boomerang, Cara Delevingne as Enchantress, Joel Kinnaman as Rick Flag, Viola Davis as Amanda Waller, Raymond Olubowale and Scott Eastwood.

Dunno why but nothing about this film interests me at all, and it seems like an odd way to begin your universe building.

Dunno why but nothing about this film interests me at all, and it seems like an odd way to begin your universe building.

Marvel is running a marathon and DC is doing the triple jump.

You'd think you'd want to start with separate films for Superman, Batman, Aquaman, Wonder Woman, Flash, and Green Lantern / Arrow right away, and worry about stuff like Suicide Squad, Shazam, and Cyborg later, but I guess they have other ideas.....

Adewale Akinnuoye-Agbaje to Play Killer Croc in Suicide Squad

He joins a cast that includes Will Smith as Deadshot, Margot Robbie as Harley Quinn, Jared Leto as The Joker, Jai Courtney as Captain Boomerang, Cara Delevingne as Enchantress, Joel Kinnaman as Rick Flag, Viola Davis as Amanda Waller, Raymond Olubowale and Scott Eastwood.

Dunno why but nothing about this film interests me at all ...

How about the director then? I've seen Harsh Times and End Of Watch and liked them both. There's something raw and grungy about his style and that's exactly what could make a DC movie special.

Never judge a comic book movie by its cape, Jay.

Alex