Sign in to follow this  
Jay

DC Cinematic Universe Thread

Just randomly came across this pretty lengthy breakdown of how much Justice Leage was changed from Snyder's version to Whedon's, and what he was originally setting up that is no longer happening

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Versions_of_Justice_League

I thought some people here might enjoy checking it out

42 minutes ago, Jay said:

Ewan McGregor is playing The Joker in this movie?

No, he'll be another villain from the Batman/Gotham City lore, the Black Mask

Resultado de imagem para black mask comics

But from the pics I saw from McGregor, I got the impression that he is giving a Jared-Leto-as-Joker-ish performance. I hope that's not true.

1 hour ago, Alexcremers said:

He is interested if Todd Phillips makes a sequel to Joker

Sure, but not a supporting role in a spin-off. Certainly not before his inevitable Oscar nomination.

On 1/5/2020 at 8:28 AM, Jay said:

Just randomly came across this pretty lengthy breakdown of how much Justice Leage was changed from Snyder's version to Whedon's, and what he was originally setting up that is no longer happening

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Versions_of_Justice_League

I thought some people here might enjoy checking it out

Reading this makes me conclude that there was never any salvaging of Justice League. A Snyder-cut version 3+ hours long, packed with even more characters and a bleak endless apocalyptic battle in Russia (which is far enough away and foreign enough to us that we won’t care how much soviet looking infrastructure gets throw around and blown up, so sky’s the limit)... no thanks. 

1 hour ago, Gruesome Son of a Bitch said:

Isn't he supposed to be fat?

The most recent live action Penguin, that younger viewers may know better than the Danny De Vito performance, was from the Gotham TV show, on which he was (I think) one of the main villains. And he was far from being fat on that show:

Resultado de imagem para the penguin gotham

Colin Farrell as Penguin is very cool casting in theory.  But with all these villains being announced for the film, I'm not really sure what this is going to be.

Will he be in a fat suit with crazy prosthetics?  Are they going a more "realistic" route?  Who knows!

https://ew.com/movies/2020/01/07/the-batman-director-matt-reeves-confirms-colin-farrell-cast-penguin/

SUICIDE SQUAD Director David Ayer Was Offered The Sequel; Shares Update On GOTHAM CITY SIRENS

During a panel for Fox's Deputy at the Television Critics Association press tour, Suicide Squad director David Ayer addressed his role in the DC Extended Universe moving forward and confirmed that with Birds of Prey on the way, his planned Gotham City Sirens movie (which would have included Catwoman and Poison Ivy) has been put on hold for the time being. 

"No, I think it’s on pause," he told journalists in attendance a little earlier today. 

The subject of James Gunn's The Suicide Squad was also briefly touched on and Ayer, who has supported the director's plans on social media, claimed that he could have been the one to take the helm of the next instalment of the franchise. "I had a chance to do it, but I went another way," he says.

Gunn's movie will be a reboot of sorts with some links to the previous instalment (mostly just the characters, it seems), but even if he doesn't get his hands on Task Force X again, Ayer seems confident that he'll get to take charge of another comic book adaptations somewhere down the line. 

"I love the world creation of it and I love the power of the IP and the fans. It’s dangerous. It’s like juggling chainsaws, but I am drawn to it and it’s definitely an arena I’ll play in again."

Needless to say, the man who declared "F**k Marvel!" at the Suicide Squad world premiere probably won't be offered a job by Kevin Feige and Marvel Studios in the near future...

https://www.comicbookmovie.com/gotham_city_sirens/suicide-squad-director-david-ayer-was-offered-the-sequel-shares-update-on-gotham-city-sirens-a172579

Birds of Prey are still coming, but with Leto now doing some whatever movie for Sony and Gotham City Sirens put on hold, I guess that's the end of the road for Suicide Squads spin offs.

I'm as sad with it as John Williams when Daisy Ridley shows up on a Star Wars recording session.

What I always dreamed on seeing: an epic Justice League franchise of movies, with great scripts handled by Bruce Timm and Paul Dini, great performances and wonderful super powered battles, with flawless VFX.

What WB/DC releases: this shitty "shared universe" of TV shows with tiny budgets, awful cast, atrocious CGI, lots of teen drama romance, and no Batman, Green Lantern, Wonder Woman, and other beloved, iconic heroes. These shows are basically Power Rangers levels of bad, but with (some) DC heroes.

Just look at this and try not to cringe:

Translation: "Laughing at the DC heroes. Sausage Man, Super Taylor Swift, Super Weak, Batman in a Wig and PC Gamer Man."

15 hours ago, HunterTech said:

Well your feed must've been skewered to the more positive, since the ones I saw were mixed out the gate. I more look at BvS as an example of not trusting early reviews.

Actually, these tweets were compilated in a IndieWire report, like those of "First Reactions of [name of the movie] are positive". And most of the entertainment websites I follow had these exact same tweets, all with glowing reactions to BoP.

I don't know if I'll like the movie or not, but I feel there's a positive bias towards this movie on the entertainment journalism right now, similar to those of Wonder Woman and Black Panther (two movies that I personally like, but I can't stand the fanboys saying that "only a white male to dislike this movies").

Black Panther was so culturally significant when it presented a futuristic utopian city within the heart of third-world, starvation, poverty and war-ridden Africa that refused to help those around them until an African American youth who wanted to arm the disaffected black youth of Chicago with laser guns to fight against white nationalism in the streets is defeated by a guy dressed as a panther.

5 minutes ago, Arpy said:

Black Panther was so culturally significant when it presented a futuristic utopian city within the heart of third-world, starvation, poverty and war-ridden Africa that refused to help those around them until an African American youth who wanted to arm the disaffected black youth of Chicago with laser guns to fight against white nationalism in the streets is defeated by a guy dressed as a panther.

You talk as if Coogler was not completely aware of all the issues he was wrestling with in that screenplay.

2 hours ago, Arpy said:

Look beyond that veneer and Black Panther does try and say a few things which have meaning.

Also, its a big budget film with a predominantly black cast, dealing with a political subject and it made a huge amount of money.

I would say its significant.

Black Panther's blackness IS its merit. It is the most novel thing about it. Make the same story with white characters and it would be the most ordinary movie in the world.

Greatness can derive from art's ability to create aesthetic surprise. And aesthetic surprise can arise from several avenues - including showing a vision of the world that we have never seen before. It is enough to take your breath away, show you a different perspective, bring up some new thoughts and new insight and a new way to understand our world.

Diversity isn't just for social justice. When used well it can serve a great and noble artistic purpose.

I liked Black Panther more than most of the phase 1 movies, but perhaps more for Ryan Coogler’s abilities behind the camera than anything else. For a director with no prior experience with blockbusters or big budgets, he created a film that more than holds its own against the work of seasoned pros.

1 hour ago, TheUlyssesian said:

Black Panther's blackness IS its merit. It is the most novel thing about it. Make the same story with white characters and it would be the most ordinary movie in the world.

You mean like Shakespeare?

7 hours ago, Edmilson said:

Actually, these tweets were compilated in a IndieWire report, like those of "First Reactions of [name of the movie] are positive". And most of the entertainment websites I follow had these exact same tweets, all with glowing reactions to BoP.

I specifically meant TRoS with that comment. The only negative thing I saw for BoP is someone who knows the movie isn't for him from all the Deadpool comparisons.

9 hours ago, Disco Stu said:

You talk as if Coogler was not completely aware of all the issues he was wrestling with in that screenplay.

You make it seem as if he was, when it was just another sloppy superhero film.

8 hours ago, Stefancos said:

Look beyond that veneer and Black Panther does try and say a few things which have meaning.

Also, its a big budget film with a predominantly black cast, dealing with a political subject and it made a huge amount of money.

I would say its significant.

It tries, but fails to do so. It makes those cultural issues seem like a one-dimensional 'racism for dummies' lesson. If the story wasn't so hollow and ironically racist, the Naboo-looking CGI salvaged from The Phantom Menace of all places makes the film look like garbage.

It's just the wrong film to throw support behind, when those important issues can be handled better elsewhere.

6 hours ago, HunterTech said:

I specifically meant TRoS with that comment. The only negative thing I saw for BoP is someone who knows the movie isn't for him from all the Deadpool comparisons.

Oh, I thought you were referring to my post and not to the one above about TROS, my bad :lol:

Birds of Prey is getting some good reviews out there: 91% on Rotten Tomatoes, with an Average Critic Rating of 7.07/10.

Comparing it with other DC movies, it's a great number:

-Wonder Woman: 93% Tomatometer, average rating of 7.64/10

-Aquaman: 66% Tomatometer, average rating of 6.04/10

-Shazam!: 90% Tomatometer, average rating of 7.28/10

-Joker: 68% Tomatometer, average rating of 7.22/10

That said, this number for Birds can still go down, only 95 reviews were posted yet. Also, with the Top Critics, the movie has significantly worse numbers, with 76% Tomatometer and average rating of 6.36/10. Using Wonder Woman and Shazam as comparatives, their numbers with Top Critics are 90% and 7.58/10 for WW and 87% and 6.84/10 for Shazam.