The DCU - DC Universe

Jay

Harley Quinn, as originally created for the animated TV series, wasn't a murderer.  Mentally unstable yes, but she still had some moral compass when it came to killing people.  What she became after that in the comics and video games I have no idea.

• Replies 4.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Kevin Tsujihara confirmed Affleck is directing the solo Batman film, but he's been writing the script since last year.

Borys Kit from THR also tweeted this:

33 minutes ago, Koray Savas said:

It's one thing to remain in character between takes, but shit like this just screams publicity to me. I don't understand how that helps Leto with his performance. 

Maybe he thinks it helps achieve the appearance of the other actors' repulsion at him on screen? Like they're all hardened baddies, but he's even more of a baddie, so he wants to provoke an uncomfortable reaction from them?

14 hours ago, Koray Savas said:

It's one thing to remain in character between takes, but shit like this just screams publicity to me. I don't understand how that helps Leto with his performance.

I recall an interview or two with Anthony Hopkins stating his disdain for that level of method acting.

It makes for good publicity. Leto wants to make his commitment seem as "intense" as possible...

Thing is, after Ledger's take, this whole "psycho villain" thing is really not as "original" as these actors would like to believe.

• 2 weeks later...

Seth Grahame-Smith was always a question mark for The Flash. I'm relieved he departed the director's chair.

These kinds of things happen. Not just at WB, but Marvel as well. Patty Jenkins departed Thor: The Dark World due to the same reason, as did Edgar Wright when he departed Ant-Man.

On another note, George Miller is being eyed to direct Green Lantern Corps, but that's a rumor right now.

6 minutes ago, Stefancos said:

DC seems to be given it's directors much more control then Marvel does.

I think that is slowly changing again. 

12 hours ago, Stefancos said:

Well not with the new Batman film.

Affleck won't have creative control? That's not what the title of the link says in Jay's post!

When I said that "things were slowly changing again" I was talking about Marvel. I think Marvel is starting to understand that not every movie needs to end with a massive air battle. ;)

The Zucker/Abrahams approach of Deadpool, the Firefly approach of Galaxy Of The Guardians, the wishes of the Russo's that Marvel seems to grant them, ... things are slowly but surely changing ... From Deadpool to Winter Soldier ... not every Marvel feels the same any more.

I'm sure Marvel analyst crocs would agree.

Lemme specify. Deadpool is not part of the Marvel Cinematic Universe, and was produced by Fox and Marvel, rather then Marvel itself. I have no idea how much creative input Marvel has in these Fox superhero movies or if it´s just contractual obligations.

Yea its pretty simple.  Before Marvel started making their own  movies, they licensed out their characters to various studios.

Sony got Spider-man and all associated characters like Venom, Sinister Six, etc (Sony has since worked out a deal to let Marvel run their Spider-man movies)

Fox got X-Men, Fantastic Four, Daredevil, and various associated characters (Daredevil has since returned to Marvel)

Universal got Hulk but has since let Marvel use the character in anything except his own standalone film, which they still have the rights to

That's why the success of the MCU is so fascinating; They had already sold off the rights to their most reckognizable properties and had to built their universe out of what was considered 2nd tier heroes at the time (Iron Man, Thor, Captain America).  They pulled it off in a big time and now you see as much Avengers merchandise out there as you do X-Men merchandise, if not more.

A big difference from the 90s when the X-Men cartoon was on the air and kids barely knew who Iron Man was

It's like drinking Pepsi out of a Coca-Cola glass.

2 minutes ago, Stefancos said:

No. I'm sure Marvel will know what to do with Spider-man better then Sony.

The Amazing Spider-Man is pretty damned good. And Horner's score won't be beat. But why is this discussion taking place here in the DC thread. Jason your OCD needs to kick in and move this to the correct thread.

The sequel was terrible except when the two leads were on screen. They were magical together. I prefer TASM over any tobey film.

Zimmer's music sounds like his mother screaming while giving birth to him while wishing she had chosen to abort.

2 hours ago, Stefancos said:

Hardly. I'm sure most people here know this, Alex. You would too if you payed attention.

I'm not really a Marvel nerd. Like Drax, I see the Marvel logo at the beginning ... that's it.

Eh ...

No really, like Drax, I see the Marvel logo at the beginning ... but I'm not going to delve deeper than that.

I do know that DC is Warner.

Right?