The DCU - DC Universe

Jay

• Replies 4.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Batman Forever retains some elements of the earlier movies, but how can anyone consider Batman & Robin a sequel to the 1989 movie? I viewed it like the James Bond series where they would recast and do a different version of it, but there would still be some elements carried over. But there's no way Roger Moore is in the same continuity as Timothy Dalton.

12 hours ago, Alexcremers said:

Sometimes I wonder if this is JWFan or The Batman Forever forum.

Alexcremers: *Opens a thread about DC movies*

Also Alexcremers: *Complains that people are talking about Batman movies in a thread about DC movies"

4 hours ago, Edmilson said:

"If talks with Michael Keaton fall through"? 

He's strapped to obscurity, why the hell would he not play BATMAN again? 

1 hour ago, gkgyver said:

The reason why most negotiations fall through: $$$

5 hours ago, gkgyver said:

10 years ago I’d have agreed with you.  He’s in a bit of a late career renaissance. 

30 minutes ago, Alexcremers said:

Why would teens wanna see a 70-year-old Batman?

It's just another wink/nudge nostalgia thing to hook in aging Gen X'ers and Millennials. Those turn out like shit.

Batman is my favorite movie, but I don't want to see him come back as an old guy, especially not in a modern DC movie. That sounds like ass.

On 6/30/2020 at 5:28 PM, Koray Savas said:

Because actors can inflate their ego and demand more money than the studio is willing to pay?

i.e. Terrence Howard being replaced after Iron Man

"But....but... you can't replace ME. I AM INDISPENSABLE! IRREPLACABLE!"

On 6/4/2020 at 6:06 AM, PuhgreÞiviÞm said:

As if the Donner Cut advocates weren't some fringe cult?

Hey!

Watch it!

Screenshot_2020-07-05-20-11-22.png

I don’t understand the general dislike for Whedon’s Justice League?

I get that Snyder had a new and “gritty” take on Superman and Batman, but very few people actually enjoyed those movies.  

I think Justice Leage was more of a reboot than a sequel. Yes, it follows the story set up in BvS, but it doesn’t really line up. The tone is different. The characters do not act the same. Batman is not a moron. Supes is not a stoic downer.

Bringing in Elfman was a creative decision - among many others - to try to reboot the DCEU from the dark and boring movies that came before. And I think it was the right move. Far more classy than JXL.

All in all, I think it worked. JL is as good as any Marvel movie, whereas Man of Steel and BVS is not.

JL is not a perfect movie. But I think it’s a fun ride, it is more faithful to the core of the comics, and it’s not full of nonsensical moments like pa’ Kent stepping in to a tornado, pa’ Kent telling Clark that ‘maybe he shouldn’t save people’, Supes murdering Zod, hipster Lex, Batman’s logic on why Superman is ‘evil’ the ‘Supes killed those people in the desert’- conspiracy, the ’Martha’ moment, and on and on and on...

My God!

Why do people want Snyder to complete his “vision” when it was utterly crap???

32 minutes ago, rough cut said:

I think Justice Leage was more of a reboot than a sequel. Yes, it follows the story set up in BvS, but it doesn’t really like up. The tone is different. The characters do not act the same. Batman is not a moron. Supes is not a stoic downer.

So... is it set in the same universe as MoS and BvS or not?

3 hours ago, rough cut said:

My God!

Why do people want Snyder to complete his “vision” when it was utterly crap???

I’m certainly not one that is fond of Snyder as a filmmaker, but Batman v Superman was not as terrible as people made it out to seem. He has the support of his cast and crew, many of which have publicly come out in support of his “vision” that was lost when Whedon took over. The man lost his daughter to suicide and had to step away from his project, that was subsequently butchered by another filmmaker. Pretty unprecedented that WB is willing to drop 22 million to allow him to finish what he started, considering most people probably won’t care. Let the man have his final cut, it harms no one; and you’ll always have your Whedon version. 

1 hour ago, Koray Savas said:

I’m certainly not one that is fond of Snyder as a filmmaker, but Batman v Superman was not as terrible as people made it out to seem.

It isn't. It is worse. BvS is an atrocious film on a fundamental film-making level beyond story and stuff. It is literally incoherent and scene to scene does not make sense or engage the viewer or convey meaningful information. 

On that level Justice League is a triumph compared to BvS. 

BvS is the nadir, the absolute bottom of the barrel. 

When I watched JL in theaters, I thought it was a fun albeit forgettable movie, just like Doctor Strange, Ant-Man, etc. It's not the crime against humanity that the Snyder zealots think this film is. And Elfman's score works fine in the movie if you like his style.

That said, I'm actually curious to see how the Snyder cut will turn out to be.

11 minutes ago, TheUlyssesian said:

I've seen worse from Marvel. In fact, I WAS intrigued and engaged in the movie until the infamous 'Your mom's name is Martha too?!' scene. 

But we all have been here before ..

6 hours ago, Koray Savas said:

Pretty unprecedented that WB is willing to drop 22 million to allow him to finish what he started, /- - -/ it harms no one.

This is true. People should like what they like.

4 hours ago, Edmilson said:

I'm actually curious to see how the Snyder cut will turn out to be.

This is also true.

No matter how it turns out, I hope it’s a success and that it, in turn, will lead WB to greenlight another Superman movie, hopefully one that is more in the same vein as more recent DC projects such as Wonder Woman, Aquaman and Shazam.

9 hours ago, TheUlyssesian said:

It isn't. It is worse. BvS is an atrocious film on a fundamental film-making level beyond story and stuff. It is literally incoherent and scene to scene does not make sense or engage the viewer or convey meaningful information. 

On that level Justice League is a triumph compared to BvS. 

I can’t get behind this type of hyperbole. You act like this is one of the worst films ever made. Go watch something directed by Uwe Bol. 

14 minutes ago, Koray Savas said:

I can’t get behind this type of hyperbole. You act like this is one of the worst films ever made. Go watch something directed by Uwe Bol. 

But from Uwe Boll, it's expected it will be terrible and you simply forgive it for existing, and even happily ignore it. But something like "Batman vs Superman" carries way more expectation that it will deliver high quality results, and its actual results are in proportion to those expectations. So if BvS falls below par, people are far less forgiving, hence declarations of "worst ever made!"

It has elements that are alright, but ultimately it's such a mess and so misguided, it failed to really please anyone aside from a weird minority. Batman was too unheroic and Superman was a stoic asshole when he wasn't saying "Shave Mertha!" It's too much of an attempt to make both characters dark and disturbing and realistic and relatable, then it goes stupidly overboard with 90s comic book elements no one wanted when the alien that killed Superman arrives.

Batman needs to stay in his own universe and not be fighting aliens and all that stupid crap.

It's not even character choices - it's that why a scene is happening is indecipherable. And this is not some Lynch film. 

Like dear god, even the worst and most boring Marvel movie, scene to scene you can follow the movie, what the stakes are, what's happening, what's moving the plot along - you know basic barebones storytelling that even get in cartoons.

BvS fails even on that front. 

BvS is a brutally bad film. It is definitely Snyder's worst film. And he's a director capable of making a decent movie.

And the kicker, he admitted during Justice League set visit that they were surprised and taken aback by the critical reaction to BvS.

6 minutes ago, TheUlyssesian said:

BvS is a brutally bad film. It is definitely Snyder's worst film. And he's a director capable of making a decent movie.

Any director can make a decent movie if the script is good. And I generally like Snyder's dynamic staging and composition. But the BvS script was just piss poor.

The entire collapse and failure of BvS is on Ben Affleck. He brought in Chris Terio and his horrible screenwriting. 

When he was first hired, people said oh he's going to help Snyder direct the movie.

Now even his directing career lies in shambles.

I think this is the decision that haunts the franchise.

2 hours ago, PuhgreÞiviÞm said:

But the BvS script was just piss poor.

But still way better than Batman & Robin, which is simply unwatchable.

2 hours ago, TheUlyssesian said:

When he was first hired, people said oh he's going to help Snyder direct the movie. Now even his directing career lies in shambles.

And I'm thankful for it. Hopefully Netflix will put him back on the right track. 

11 minutes ago, rough cut said:

People hate Batman & Robin because it is bad camp.

Fixed!

And to put things into perspective:

IMDb people scores:

Batman & Robin: 3,7/10

BvS: 6,4/10

That makes Batman & Robin almost twice as bad as BvS.