The DCU - DC Universe

Jay

There were THREE magician related films released in 2006 - two of them had Hugh Jackman and Scarlett Johansson - what are the odds?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scoop_(2006_film)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Prestige_(film)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Illusionist_(2006_film)

• Replies 4.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On 1/20/2021 at 7:18 PM, Gruesome Son of a Bitch said:

BRmainpic_1024x1024.png

That is a lotta copies of a pretty terrible movie. To think I paid good money to see it in the theater back in the day...shudder. 

1 hour ago, Bayesian said:

That is a lotta copies of a pretty terrible movie. To think I paid good money to see it in the theater back in the day...shudder. 

Gruesome and Drax love bad movies.

All I want is a damn Superman movie. One that isn’t depressing and illogical like Man Of Steel was.

I’d love to see Brandon Routh repeat his Kingdom Come interpretation, that was spot on. He has such a core of strength, calm, innocence that no Superman has had since Christopher Reeve.

But of course, “Znyder” has a hard on for Batman and couldn’t care less about the legacy of ol’ Supes. He even admitted during the making of MoS that he wanted to do a Batman movie but DC said no. And then he found a way to, not only work him into the sequel, but actually make the story about him.

And stuck to his guns regarding his treatment of Superman.

That’s one of the reasons I like Whedon’s JL - Superman actually acts like he is supposed to.

But now it seems that Znyder’s wagon is attached to Warner once more, and I guess we’ll never have another glimpse of Routh in the titanal role.

Especially not, now that we have “millennial-Superman“ TV-show coming up on CW, with all the implications and baggage that that means.

*sigh*

All want is just a damn Superman movie.

With Routh.

Directed by someone who gives a damn.

Is that too much to ask?

2 minutes ago, rough cut said:

I’d love to see Brandon Routh repeat his Kingdom Come interpretation, that was spot on. He has such a core of strength, calm, innocence that no Superman has had since Christopher Reeve.

Not to mention those thighs!

• 3 weeks later...

Supergirl will appear in the next The Flash movie:

DC Universe’s New Supergirl Is ‘Young And The Restless’ Actress Sasha Calle; Will Make Debut In Upcoming ‘Flash’ Film

EXCLUSIVE: The Young and the Restless Daytime Emmy nominee Sasha Calle has scored the feature role of DC Universe’s new Supergirl. The Boston, MA-born Colombian actress is the first Latina Supergirl ever in DC and was chosen from more than 425 actresses who auditioned. She will make her debut in Warner Bros’ The Flash.

https://deadline.com/2021/02/supergirl-young-and-the-restless-actress-sasha-calle-the-flash-movie-dc-1234697190/

Sasha-Calle-Supergirl.jpg?w=681&h=383&cr

Maybe they can bring Cavill back as well?

On 2/19/2021 at 10:36 PM, Edmilson said:

Supergirl will appear in the next The Flash movie:

https://deadline.com/2021/02/supergirl-young-and-the-restless-actress-sasha-calle-the-flash-movie-dc-1234697190/

Sasha-Calle-Supergirl.jpg?w=681&h=383&cr

Maybe they can bring Cavill back as well?

She does look like she could be related to Cavill or Russell Crowe, if the shirt Muschietti showed is any indication.

I like her so far.

Snyder is too progressive for JWFan that still wants to hang on to the Superman of the '40s. They don't understand that this naive version of Supes was the very reason why they let him die in the comic books. His ratings were getting lower and lower. 

4 hours ago, AC1 said:

Snyder is too progressive for JWFan that still wants to hang on to the Superman of the '40s. They don't understand that this naive version of Supes was the very reason why they let him die in the comic books. His ratings were getting lower and lower. 

Lol. I don't need the Superman of the 40s, but I'd love a Superman that is written with some character. Only one that I felt really captured his character's true struggle is the Smallville version. 

55 minutes ago, Edmilson said:

Oh great, now that he found a new home at DC, Guardians Vol. 3 will take even longer to be release.

Pretty sure he's 100% committed to filming that later this year no matter what happens with DC

3 hours ago, Disco Stu said:

Pretty sure he's 100% committed to filming that later this year no matter what happens with DC

Gunn is going to start work on GOTG V3 (and a holiday special) after he locks picture on The Suicide Squad and finish directing his episodes of "The Peacemaker."

That DC project is going to be after GOTG V3.

28 minutes ago, Gruesome Son of a Bitch said:

Wow. I can't wait for the next one.

Batman Forever - Animated.gif

It's worse, just for the fact Pfeiffer isn't in it. She was fantastic in BR, even though I hated the movie overall.

5 hours ago, The Big Man said:

Bland and Blander

Abrams is one of the worst directors ever. Not only a bad director in every way (The Rise Of Skywalker is easily the worst Star Wars movie in history and his clumsy direction and filming has got a lot to do with that), but he has no artistic personality none whatsoever. 

19 minutes ago, The Big Man said:

I dunno, his directing might be fine. I mean it's mostly telling actors where to stand, what to emote and deciding where the camera goes.

And that was exactly what was so terrible in The Rise Of Skywalker. Everything looked clumsy and classless, at least in the first hour, which was all I could stomach. Yes, the writing is terrible but that can be compensated for with strong imagery/storytelling, it is the art of 'moving images' after all, but there was none of that either. It's completely bereft of art.

Sure, but there's only so much poor scripting a well directed movie can hide. Take War of the Worlds '05 for example, nicely directed, great visuals, bland mediocre scripting. The directing and visuals are nice, but the glaring script red flags are still annoying as fuck.

Films need to be a well-rounded, holistic experience, where all the pieces fit together with a level of balance.

I'm sure there are also examples of good scripts with uninspired direction too.

To be honest, I didn't like any aspect of that movie. Yes, it's professionally made and there's lots of money behind it, but Spielberg's approach, the way he and Kaminski told the story had no effect on me (save for a few shots here and there) and even rubbed me the wrong way. A 'similar' movie that worked much, much better, IMO, is Cloverfield. It doesn't have good dialogue, nor interesting characters, but the visual storytelling pulled me in and nicely compensated for all the film's weaknesses.

If Abrams have signed up with Warner and DC for a movie I would prefer him to make a Supergirl movie than  another Superman movie. We already have 6 with him and other TV shows.

Plus I have to admit that I secretly hope JJ baby to make a Supergirl movie starring Daisy baby. It would be the perfect combination to lure somebody....... ;)