The DCU - DC Universe

Jay

• Replies 4.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

6 minutes ago, AC1 said:

Love Guardians Vol. 1 but Vol.2 was a disappointment for me. It suffered a bit from 'wanting to do too much'. The jokes in The Suicide Squad trailers aren't very promising either. But I'm sure the world disagrees with me.

Well I don't! I don't watch trailer from the movie I want to see...

13 hours ago, AC1 said:

Love Guardians Vol. 1 but Vol.2 was a disappointment for me. It suffered a bit from 'wanting to do too much'.

Yup. I wonder, isn’t it too soon to call Gunn a “horribly beautiful mind,” whatever that’s supposed to mean? Isn’t his rep built mostly on Vol 1? What was horrible or beautiful about that movie?

16 minutes ago, Bayesian said:

Yup. I wonder, isn’t it too soon to call Gunn a “horribly beautiful mind,” whatever that’s supposed to mean? Isn’t his rep built mostly on Vol 1? What was horrible or beautiful about that movie?

I'm guessing it's supposed to more be referring to his pre-GOTG days, which are considerably much more adult. Hell, that's probably why he ended up writing those live action Scooby Doo films, since those were supposed to be edgier takes on the material before being massively retooled. Granted, he probably got the job in this instance strictly because of the success of GOTG (especially with the previous SS film trying to ape it), but I suppose his general filmography made it an easier sell for the marketing.

Before he got big money projects, Gunn was something of a b-movie auteur, graduating from Troma-level schlock to more polished things like Slither and Super.  His career path has followed the Sam Raimi/Peter Jackson route to respectability.  (still think that “beautiful horrible mind” or whatever sounds dumb, though I think the movie should be a lot of fun)

Just now, mstrox said:

though I think the movie should be a lot of fun)

Because you had a ball with the trailer jokes? Really?

Comic books are inherently silly and comic book movies should contain some of that DNA too.  I did not think anything in the trailer was groaner-level, and DC has proven to me that it can make so-so movies better with irreverence and style (Shazam, Birds of Prey) and make so-so movies worse by making them deadly serious (Snyder/Snyder/Snyder)

2 minutes ago, mstrox said:

Comic books are inherently silly and comic book movies should contain some of that DNA too.

Wow! No, that's not what I meant. Never mind! 

I answered your question in the next sentence (I didn’t hear any groaners).  Have you ever rolled around the aisles laughing at any preview?  

I liked the group threatening Doctor Who on the rooftop, I like the dumb shark, and I like the existence of Polka Dot Man.  It seemed like it would be funny enough.

I liked both of his GOTG movies, the first more.  If the humor is like that, I’ll be fine.

5 minutes ago, mstrox said:

I answered your question in the next sentence (I didn’t hear any groaners).  Have you ever rolled around the aisles laughing at any preview?  

I liked both of his GOTG movies, the first more.  If the humor is like that, I’ll be fine.

I hope so, since I really enjoyed Guardians Vol. 1, but again, this one doesn't seem to be funny at all (even though it tries to be). Maybe I'm putting too much stock in the trailer. 

• 2 weeks later...

I'll believe it when I see it finally finished on a screen. Lol. The film seems cursed.

I'm almost expecting them to fire him midway through or the film to go through numerous delays after it's been shot. Guess we'll see what happens. I very much enjoyed the new IT films, so I have faith that this guy could pull it off. At this point, I have no idea what they're going to do with it.

From the article I linked to

The production start comes after over six years since the Ezra Miller-led superhero film was first announced in 2014. Throughout its development, the project has suffered multiple setbacks regarding its creative team. Before Andy Muschietti officially boarded the project, a number of directors and writers were previously attached to The Flash movie including Seth Grahame-Smith, Rick Famuyiwa, Joby Harold, and John Francis Daley & Jonathan Goldstein.

Oh.

Yes, it doesn’t bode well, but here’s to hoping.

It might be naive of me, but I am generally inclined to be positive about an upcoming project until I can judge it with my own two eyes.

Unless it involves Lucy Liu. Then I’m equally judging.

Benjamin Wallfisch to Score Andy Muschietti’s ‘The Flash’

That was predictable, but fine. I liked Wallfisch's Shazam score and the Flash is a character that can inspire a pretty nice theme, judging by his music on Elfman's JL (didn't care for Junkie's theme though).

3 hours ago, Edmilson said:

Benjamin Wallfisch to Score Andy Muschietti’s ‘The Flash’

That was predictable, but fine. I liked Wallfisch's Shazam score and the Flash is a character that can inspire a pretty nice theme, judging by his music on Elfman's JL (didn't care for Junkie's theme though).

I feel pretty confident Wallfisch is going to quote Elfman's Batman theme (especially since Keaton has officially signed on), and possibly his Flash motif. 

It's the same friggin thing! Only now they tacked a "The" at the beginning.

How's this gonna go down in casual conversation?

"Hey watcha watching?"

"Oi mate I'm watching Suicide Squad."

"Yo which one? Suicide Squad or 'The' Suicide Squad?"

*looks at the video box*

"Uh I think it's The Suicide Squad."

"Dude why didn't they call it something different?"

"Dunno man, dumb."

Or it could go like:

"Oi whatcha watching?"

"Suicide Squad."

"1 or 2?"

"Which one's which?"

Couldn't they have just called it something like "The Return of the Suicide Squad" or something?

3 hours ago, Unlucky Bastard said:

Nah. Totally different. The first one was just a "Suicide Squad", no big deal, just ignore them. Meanwhile, these guys are "THE Suicide Squad" they're the real deal. Please forget that other one.

5 hours ago, Unlucky Bastard said:

The movie was titled by people who write in Java. They couldn't use "this Suicide Squad" so they changed it into "The Suicide Squad" by the force of habits! ;)

Maybe it's exactly the same name to cause even more confusion. Or they could start adding punctuation:

No 1: Suicide Squad

No 2: The Suicide Squad

No 3: A Suicide Squad

No 4: A Suicide Squad!

No 5: A Suicide Squad?

Suicide Squad

The Suicide Squad

The Suicide Squad Holliday Special

The Suicide Squad Strikes Back

Return of the Suicide Squad

The Phantom Suicide Squad

Attack of the Suicide Squad

Revenge of the Suicide Squad

The Suicide Squad Awakens

The Last Suicide Squad

The Rise of the Suicide Squad

1 hour ago, Raiders of the SoundtrArk said:

Suicide Squad

The Suicide Squad

The Suicide Squad Holliday Special

The Suicide Squad Strikes Back

Return of the Suicide Squad

The Phantom Suicide Squad

Attack of the Suicide Squad

Revenge of the Suicide Squad

The Suicide Squad Awakens

The Last Suicide Squad

The Rise of the Suicide Squad

You forgot Suicide Squad 2: Electric Boogaloo!

10 hours ago, AC1 said:

Fans outside WB Studios send a message to the suits:

It's tough to be more self-absorbed than Zack Snyder himself, but these people are accomplishing it. 

"Snyderverse" is a horrifying prospect. 

It's depressing enough to know these films exist, but actually watching "Snyderverse" would require prophylactic Xanax. 

3 hours ago, gkgyver said:

It's tough to be more self-absorbed than Zack Snyder himself, but these people are accomplishing it. 

You not only hate Snyder but his fans too? Every brand, franchise or celebrity brings along its hardcore fanatics, especially in the US. You should know that better than anyone. This is nothing compared to some other things I've seen. Things I sadly cannot post here.

I don’t harbor any ill will towards Snyder fans, but mainly I just look at them with bafflement!  If they like it, good for them!  Campaigning for something they like is probably as useless as any other internet petition and they probably should have saved their money instead of renting a billboard, but it doesn’t affect me, so whatever.

I’m happy that WB seems to not be interested in hashtag restoring the Snyderverse, though, because it increases the likelihood that their superhero movies will be fun.