The DCU - DC Universe

Jay

• Replies 4.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

4 minutes ago, mstrox said:

I’m happy that WB seems to not be interested in hashtag restoring the Snyderverse, though, because it increases the likelihood that their superhero movies will be fun.

#RestoretheWhedonverse!

10 minutes ago, AC1 said:

But there is already fun in abundance. Too bad everything turns into jokes.

Better scratch 'Best Drama Award' from now on.

I mean, these are movies about ripped dudes and ladies in latex who wear masks and use their laser eyes to stop burglars.  Minari can still vie for best drama.

Nolan’s Bat movies were “serious” and “dramatic” but still fun!  Snyder is the element that seems to suck that fun out of things.

Still, I welcome different approaches to making superheroes movies. And there's fun (entertainment) in drama too. It doesn't have to be jokey to be fun (amusing or pleasurable).

8 minutes ago, mstrox said:

Nolan’s Bat movies were “serious” and “dramatic” but still fun!  Snyder is the element that seems to suck that fun out of things.

Fun as in Marvel fun? BB, yes, but TDK?

5 minutes ago, AC1 said:

Fun as in Marvel fun? TDK?

I never mentioned Marvel, I only mentioned fun! A movie doesn’t have to be full of jokes or quips to be fun.  Well-staged brutal action sequences can be fun.  A very serious story that keeps you on your toes can be fun.  It just takes a deft touch (and an interest in sharing that fun with the audience, which I don’t think Snyder even has).

1 hour ago, mstrox said:

... an interest in sharing that fun with the audience, which I don’t think Snyder even has).

He does, especially in his first zombie movie, 300 and Watchmen, but not everyone gets it. They think he takes everything overly seriously, but he doesn't. It's all bordering on satire and actually not all that different from what makes it difficult for me to take The Shining deadly seriously. His DC movies do lack those particular qualities. Having said that, looks aside, I don't feel The Snyder Cut and Infinity War/Endgame are all that different. 

Film editor Paul Machliss (Baby Driver) is working on The Flash, in addition to cinematographer Henry Braham (The Suicide Squad) and costume designer Alexandra Byrne (The Avengers).

below_the_line

• 2 weeks later...

James Gunn's The Suicide Squad is officially rated R:

https://heroichollywood.com/james-gunn-the-suicide-squad-official-r-rating/

Out of the 7 movies DC has released since 2018, four of them were R-rated (Joker, Birds of Prey, Zack Snyder's Justice League and The Suicide Squad) and just 3 of them were PG13 (Aquaman, Shazam!, Wonder Woman 1984). 

I appreciate the fact that WB has tended to lean more adult themed with their movies, especially with how family friendly the MARVEL films have become.  The films don't always hit the right note, but more often than not I enjoy them and the varying stories they try to tell.  I just wish someone like Walter Hamada was incharge prior to BvS if only to reign in Snyder to help avoid the negative backlash that film gave the entire franchise seemingly with the general public.

It's nothing new that Marvel/Disney screams family friendly. Even granny can join while knitting.

ceri-mowatt-708417345.jpg

"Oh my, Captain America is so handsome!"

1 hour ago, TheUlyssesian said:

DC's R rated movies are pretty juvenile though?

Most of them are, R rating or not. They're absolutely juvenile scripts disguised with violence and darkness to make themselves seem "adult" and "mature" but also pull some really stupid and contrived shit that I'd barely let little kids films get away with. The only ones tolerable enough to me are Wonder Woman and Shazam. Everything else that I've seen is trying way too hard to be more mature than it is.

Say what you will about Marvel, but it knows exactly what it is.

DC needs to figure out what they want to be and actually be it.

Isn't that usually what makes action movies either for adults or for teens? Their tone? What else makes a script either juvenile or mature? 

5 minutes ago, AC1 said:

Isn't that usually what makes action movies either for adults or for teens? Their tone? 

I think the tone is only part of it. For me that tone needs to be reflected in the writing. Truly adult films feel adult because of how it feels tonally and what it does and what it's saying. The DC films make absolutely nonsensical decisions and lack a general respect for the audiences intelligence and they sometimes attempt to address certain adult themes or ideas without ever really committing or follow through. 

I see a massive difference from what I consider an adult film and whatever it is that DC does. The tone constantly comes off as a disguise to make them seem more adult without them actually being adult and as I mentioned, many of the transition points (how do we get this character from here to here) are so contrived and silly that I'd roll my eyes if it was a little kids movie.

There is a certain campiness inherent to superhero mythology that taking itself deadly serious can accentuate. It's fun the way mythology is fun. Who doesn't love Cronos eating his children? If that's not deadly serious camp, I don't know what is.

1 hour ago, TSMefford said:

I think the tone is only part of it. For me that tone needs to be reflected in the writing. Truly adult films feel adult because of how it feels tonally and what it does and what it's saying. The DC films make absolutely nonsensical decisions and lack a general respect for the audiences intelligence and they sometimes attempt to address certain adult themes or ideas without ever really committing or follow through. 

I see a massive difference from what I consider an adult film and whatever it is that DC does. The tone constantly comes off as a disguise to make them seem more adult without them actually being adult and as I mentioned, many of the transition points (how do we get this character from here to here) are so contrived and silly that I'd roll my eyes if it was a little kids movie.

Didn't the multitude of clichés of Wonder Woman demonstrate a lack of respect too? That movie played like one big deja vu. To me, that's insulting! And I'm not sure if a lighter tone automatically translates to being more mature. Just look at Spider-Man: Far From Home. It doesn't get more juvenile than that!

Anyway, you can bet your life that both Marvel and DC prey on kids as well as adults. Superhero movies are just too expensive to target only one segment of the audience, but it is their tone that makes them suitable for little kids and granny too. 

I'm not the biggest Marvel fan by any means but I'll defend Far From Home. They finally captured that John Hughes vibe they were going for. It also serves as a wonderful epilogue to the Infinity Saga, tying up a number of emotional loose ends while constructing a villain out of deep-cut in-universe nods. That all of those loose ends, emotional and villainous, are born out of Tony Stark was simple, refreshing. I normal whine that I wish Marvel would try too hard and fail at this point, anything interesting, but this was one case where the straight answer was the best answer. I actually found it to be one of the only Marvel movies that didn't talk down to me and no one was more surprised than me about that. It was dorky, but that was all about tone. Considering how tepid and unnecessary I found Homecoming, I did not expect to like Far From Home one bit. But did.

I'll happily shit on Marvel anytime but when they get it right, I'm fair, I'll say so.

7 hours ago, AC1 said:

Didn't the multitude of clichés of Wonder Woman demonstrate a lack of respect too? That movie played like one big deja vu. To me, that's insulting! And I'm not sure if a lighter tone automatically translates to being more mature. Just look at Spider-Man: Far From Home. It doesn't get more juvenile than that!

Anyway, you can bet your life that both Marvel and DC prey on kids as well as adults. Superhero movies are just too expensive to target only one segment of the audience, but it is their tone that makes them suitable for little kids and granny too. 

I think you misunderstood. Wonder Woman I don’t take issue with. Cliches are not automatically insulting and exist in many many films. I find them insulting when they’re in a movie that likes to pretend it is being immensely profound or adult and uses idiotic and juvenile writing techniques. This doesn’t necessarily refer to cliches or tropes, but just ridiculousness and things I can’t be expected to take seriously. 

For example: In Man on Steel, Lois takes a photo of a massive landscape and immediately zooms into a blob of pixels without delay and manages to find Superman. That’s absurd. And it’s in a movie that so desperately begs to be taken seriously.

Wonder Woman knows what it is and isn’t trying or pretending to be more than that. Spider-Man Far From Home is about kids for goodness sake. Of course it will be juvenile. I expect it. And again, it’s not trying to be adult or immensely profound. Shazam is another example that is what it is and is not trying to be profound. 

Also yes. Marvel and DC both pander to as many as they can, but Marvel succeeds at that without coming off as confused. DC wants to be seen as gritty, serious, profound, and adult and yet uses plot devices and silly writing techniques. It wants to do both somehow.

If they are not willing to write smart and actually say something as opposed to coming off as pretentious and lazy, then they need to reassess their themes. The recent crop of DC sours in my eyes far more because it’s trying way too hard to feel adult and profound and can’t back that up with actual smart and adult writing.

When I go into a Marvel film, I know exactly what to expect and it doesn’t try to be anything that it is not. 

• 3 weeks later...

I am looking forward to this. A bit annoying when a sequel doesn’t have the number “2” anywhere in the title though, but whatever.

On a different note, I wish that WB had done that spinoff movie The Trench.

They could’ve made it a bit more low budget, a sci-fi, teen horror affair. It could’ve been great.

On 6/11/2021 at 5:23 PM, rough cut said:

I am looking forward to this. A bit annoying when a sequel doesn’t have the number “2” anywhere in the title though, but whatever.

I prefer them not to, it feels cheap, we aren't idiots, [edit:] we know it's a sequel. [end edit] (unless you just reuse the original title but with a "the" or something)

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/12/2021 at 11:24 AM, rough cut said:

Did you just insinuate that anybody who prefers numerals in their movie franchises is an idiot? Great way to make conversation...

That was not my intent, but I guess I did, I apologize for that. :(

On 6/12/2021 at 4:24 PM, rough cut said:

Did you just insinuate that anybody who prefers numerals in their movie franchises is an idiot? Great way to make conversation...

The real debate is Roman numerals vs. Arabic.

Roman numerals are much more masculine. Arabic numerals are for nerds. Roman numerals are tough. Arabic numerals are goofy. Roman numerals make Arabic numerals cry. 

C7E47605-51BB-4756-A5A4-10CAE68BE530.jpeg

87CE0ACD-7295-40A8-8906-3A798D5C29F1.png

5095F6F8-EDF7-44CD-BF17-1F0D4E21122B.jpeg

AE239744-8A6D-4019-A5F7-CB452DB603BA.jpeg

On 6/20/2021 at 5:34 PM, Nick1066 said:

The real debate is Roman numerals vs. Arabic.

Roman numerals are much more masculine. Arabic numerals are for nerds. Roman numerals are tough. Arabic numerals are goofy. Roman numerals make Arabic numerals cry. 

Best Roman numeral scene ever. Even better than the Venice library. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Apparently there's a dong in Gunn's Squad:

If I'm not mistaken, this will be the first dick to appear in a superhero movie since Dr. Manhattan's blue wang in Watchmen. 

5 hours ago, Edmilson said:

If I'm not mistaken, this will be the first dick to appear in a superhero movie since Dr. Manhattan's blue wang in Watchmen

Well there is Dick Grayson...

Spoiler

(I’ll show myself out)

What else is new? Lol. I also trust Reeves way more than WB. Let him do what he wants with it. I'm not even that interested in it, but let him make what he wants.

• 2 weeks later...

Just started watching this Dawn of Justice movie and permanently I keep thinking that this could be much better with a soundtrack containing actually music instead of this dynamic chord mumbling all the time.

Yes, my taste might be old fashioned, but this is really awful. The heart of every person really loving film music must bleed listening to this. This is so cheap.

We watched The Suicide Squid on HBO MAX and it was a real good time!  No immediate standouts from Murphy’s score, a lot of which felt like kind of standard superhero type stuff (thinking of the somewhat memorable rousing music moment 

Spoiler

the Squad turns around against Waller’s wishes to run after Starro

).  Can’t even remember off the top of my head if the visually interesting Harley escape scene had score or a song.  I picked the Murphy album up, so will give it a listen once I work my way through the dozens of other albums on my queue.

On 8/18/2021 at 7:44 AM, mstrox said:

Can’t even remember off the top of my head if the visually interesting Harley escape scene had score or a song.  I picked the Murphy album up, so will give it a listen once I work my way through the dozens of other albums on my queue.

The Harley escape scene was scored with the song "Just a Gigolo (I Ain't Got Nobody)" by Louis Prima.  One of the good standout source songs in the movie, which overall were decent choices, but nowhere near as on point as his GOTG choices.

• 4 weeks later...