The DCU - DC Universe

Jay

• Replies 4.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On 03/08/2022 at 7:16 AM, AC1 said:

Not even as a streaming release? Why throw away 90 million?

It makes no sense. Now the unreleased F4 movie by Roger Corman I get (since they spent like $2M on it to keep the rights), but it's a completely different thing to can a $90M movie that's almost finished. Studios usually can a movie BEFORE filming starts or after the first week of shooting.

There's no way Batgirl is "unreleasable." Zaslav is not a great 'tastemaker', his purview before the Discover merger was unscripted fare like "Naked and Afraid" and "Diners, Drive-Ins and Dives." WBD could've just sold Batgirl to a rival studio and try to recoup their cost, rather than a tax write off.

And I would've loved to hear Natalie Holt's score, since she apparently met with Elfman for his blessing on using his Batman theme for Michael Keaton. But I don't think they got to the score recording phase, which is a shame.

They spent 90 million dollars for a movie that was going directly to streaming, and streaming is going to be rethinking their content machine soon.  Streaming-exclusive titles don’t make money - the goal is subscriber increase or at least retention.

Netflix is losing money, other content providers are hitting a wall.  The new challenge will be: “how little money can we spend and still keep our subscriber base?”  The mercenary actions of WB/Discovery over the last month (not just the initial wave of a handful of movies, but subsequently dozens of TV series and many more episodes of their established TV library) are a product of the tax breaks baked into the merger, but are probably not too dissimilar from what we’ll eventually see from everybody.  Cutting content means cutting paid residuals, after all.

On 22/08/2022 at 11:25 AM, Naïve Old Fart said:

Ironically, BATGIRL might become a hit on streaming. People will want to see what all the fuss is about, and would happily pay $5 (or whatever it is), for the privilege.

The movie is not complete. At all. No final sound mix, no complete VFX, no score.

The directors were out of the country attending a wedding when WBD announced Batgirl was being canned. When they got back, the studio had already yanked the footage they were editing.

It's a bad look for Warners. Had Zaslav allowed the directors to present a finished film to screen for audiences, a positive audience response could've changed minds. 

On the bright side:

‘The Batman’ Filmmaker Matt Reeves Inks Overall Film, TV Deal With Warner Bros.
He is working on a sequel to the Robert Pattinson film, while also moving ahead with a 'Penguin' spinoff.

A sequel for The Batman will probably be announced over the next few months.

42 minutes ago, Matt C said:

The movie is not complete. At all. No final sound mix, no complete VFX, no score

I don’t know how much if any of the score was recorded, but Natalie Holt shared that she’d composed about 90 minutes!

Yavar

Ouff, they didn’t have any private back up of any of the footage. When they got the news, I guess they tried to “bootleg” their on stuff by filming a monitor with an iPhone, but discovered that they no longer had access to any of the film… bummer!

But I doubt it is actually ‘deleted’, more likely it’s just locked up tightly.

I also doubt that footage will ever see the light of day.

I’m of the generation that grew up with Batman 1966, so my idea of Batgirl centers around Yvonne Craig and the charming Librarian alter ego.   I feel really sad for everyone involved in this production, but if its burial means the character gets another chance in a few years instead of never, then I (selfishly) guess that’s a positive?

34 minutes ago, TolkienSS said:

Have you seen the show?

If this film is only half as terrible as THAT, it would bury Batgirl for a decade.

Huh? Do you mean Batwoman, on the CW? Not only a different creative team, but a different CHARACTER! (Actually two different characters, I guess...)

Have you seen these directors' work on Ms. Marvel? It's wonderful. I have a hard time believing their Batgirl film (with Michael Keaton as Batman no less) was shit. This asshole WB CEO is the one burying Batgirl (and oh yeah the new Bruce Timm animated Batman show too, by the way... to say nothing of vanishing the great animated series Infinity Train from existence...)

Yavar

Does anyone know the tone of the film or has there been a script leak?  Maybe if Batgirl tested poorly it’s something I would like. ;)

1 hour ago, Yavar Moradi said:

Huh? Do you mean Batwoman, on the CW? Not only a different creative team, but a different CHARACTER! (Actually two different characters, I guess...)

Have you seen these directors' work on Ms. Marvel? It's wonderful. I have a hard time believing their Batgirl film (with Michael Keaton as Batman no less) was shit. This asshole WB CEO is the one burying Batgirl (and oh yeah the new Bruce Timm animated Batman show too, by the way... to say nothing of vanishing the great animated series Infinity Train from existence...)

Yavar

Wait, you're right, I was thinking Batwoman.

Jesus, it's time to quit following the flood of Superhero disasters.

‘Batgirl’ Actress Ivory Aquino Implores Warner Bros. Discovery to “Consider Releasing” the DC Film

The actress tweeted an open letter to the studio's CEO David Zaslav on Thursday following news that it was holding secret screenings of the shelved movie for cast, crew and executives.

No matter the amount of campaigning the fans, cast and crew are willing to do, WB simply cannot legally release the movie, or they'll get in trouble with the IRS.

The best thing they should do is to move on.

Is it legally a done deal?  I mean as far as the tax papers signed and everything?  Because there’s no advertising like saying a film is forbidden, or resurrected. 

I don't think information like that ever gets disclosed, since we were never given a precise date for when Sym-Bionic Titan was supposedly written off (which might've not even happened if it's still available on iTunes and got a brief cameo in OK KO more recently).

Ok, I LOLed at this:

tweet-borys-kit-legadodadc.webp

This guy is a journalist for THR, and according to him, one of the reasons that made Shazam 2 be moved to a later date is because WB simply doesn't have enough money for releasing it this year.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Kinda funny that he gets to be the creative head of DC movies, when the only non-Guardians film he’s directed over the past decade is a DC movie, and it’s the DCEU’s single biggest flop!

He also did the Peacemaker TV show, which was successful with critics and audiences. 

I just hope Gunn is aware of what makes each DC character great and doesn't try to turn every movie into a Guardians copy, filled with pop songs and dick jokes.

The first eight notes, modernized instrumentation.  Here’s the scene, for as long as it’s up

I’m happy for the lady in the audience who screamed about Cavill returning.  I have no strong opinions of him as Clark/Sup.  His return was a negative for me for other reasons related to the last three movies he was in, but when combined with the change in leadership and presumably tone, I have no problems. 

I think it's great that Cavill is back, but I didn't like that it was implied that he was working for Amanda Waller. I mean, the entire Justice League and its most powerful member are on Amanda's pockets? Sigh.

An end credit tease inside the movie that is underperforming, is there because the movie is underperforming?

What?

Cavil is represented by Johnson's ex wife who is also a producer on the film.  Walter Hamada, the former head of DC Films, apparently was actively against bringing Cavil back.  When it became clear Hamada was being let go, Johnson went to WB directly in September and got them to agree to film the credits scene to bring back Cavil into the role.

It has nothing to do with the film's performance, and everything to do with Cavil's team making sure he gets his job back.

My sister went to see Black Adam today (I have not seen it).

We are both oretty openminded and always look for something positive in a project but she said that she thought it was one of the worst films she ever saw. Bad acting, writing and just wall to the wall action that makes no sense she said.

Some people even walked out. I thought that was incredible.

I won't see the film myself probably until it's streaming release. But just wanted to share this. I thought it was very interesting.

28 minutes ago, Goldfinger said:

Cavil is represented by Johnson's ex wife who is also a producer on the film.  Walter Hamada, the former head of DC Films, apparently was actively against bringing Cavil back.  When it became clear Hamada was being let go, Johnson went to WB directly in September and got them to agree to film the credits scene to bring back Cavil into the role.

It has nothing to do with the film's performance, and everything to do with Cavil's team making sure he gets his job back.

You see, that's what I don't understand. How come Hamada was building a DC Universe on screen without Superman? That's completely ridiculous. Superman is essential to DC Comics as a whole, and yet he was actively against bringing Supes back because he isn't fond of the actor?

Hamada long stayed past his welcome on the job.