The DCU - DC Universe

Jay

I thought it was just really dumb. But you guys had a ball? I guess Aquaman isn't my kind of humor then.

14 hours ago, Bofur01 said:

It’s Kingsman: The Golden Circle to WW’s Kingsman, I’d say.

Superman to Superman III would be closer to home, but I guess you guys aren't really familiar with old movies.

• Replies 4.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

WW1984 was abysmally awful. We watched it last night and I was seriously surprised by how bad it is. I actually enjoy campiness/silliness to some degree, but this was just ridiculous. Also, the portrayal of the 80s was just a ridiculous caricature of the decade - and not even in a clever or amusing way.

Nonsensical “plot.” The whole "Steve Quantum-Leaping via magical wish into some other guy's body" might be the lamest way I've ever seen a character be shamelessly resurrected.

There were surprisingly subpar visual effects at times.

It's also as subtle as a bulldozer. All men are ogling creeps. Got it. Also, I love how she very blatantly tries to avoid hurting people and being "above violence" almost to the point of breaking the fourth wall. After telling the one driver that "the brakes still work" after ripping out the steering wheel, I half expected her to look at the camera and say, "Just wanted to be sure you fine folks in the audience know that I am not dooming him to a fiery car crash. The brakes still work and I am a good person who does not believe in violence."

The retconning of Diana Prince’s adventures in 1984 is somehow even more egregiously stupid than Captain Marvel’s MCU appearance in 1995. The audience is supposed to believe the events of this film occurred and then decades later when Batman v. Superman and Justice League take place, nobody remembers anything?

I love good escapism as much as anyone but WW1984 was terrible.

6 hours ago, stewdog1 said:

So can she fly or not? She seemed to forget how to fly late BvsS and Justice. But maybe off camera. Lol

The entire world also forgot she existed by BvS and JL.

We haven’t watched 84 yet, but I’ll posit that since the DCU canon is already messy and about to get a whole lot messier, they didn’t care and just did whatever they felt was right for the movie.

Her dead boyfriend told her flying is easy ("Feel the air, the wind, ...") and so she can fly (but only in the '80s). Not only that, she also creates some kind of energy force with her hands.

Hollywood is very predictable. If one director who was successful in the past now finds himself releasing a flop, (s)he will want to return to his former glory by releasing a sequel to a past success.

It happened with Andrew Stanton, who after the successes of Finding Nemo and WALL-E, directed the box office disaster John Carter, only to return to the franchise that made him famous with Finding Dory. Brad Bird was the same thing, after the box office bomb Tomorrowland, he went back to his past success with Incredibles 2.

I had hoped Nolan would be "above" this and continue doing original movies. As flawed as Tenet is, I prefer him doing that than other Batman flicks.

It's easier to find money when you build on established successes. That's why Ridley Scott returned to the Alien universe. And now he's going to try his luck with Gladiator. It's either that or superhero stuff.

The reasoning behind it is stupid as well. 

Nolan has too much cred, one box office flop (in the midst of a pandemic) ain’t taking that away. He needs to have a couple of duds in a row for that to be the case. And even then he’d prolly try his hand at other well-known franchises (Bond?) or even Inception 2. 

Nolan is done with that universe and just wants to do his own thing. It’s just some stupid rumor brought to life by some 3rd grade nerdsite for clicks. 

I thought it was 2 movies in a row that underperformed. 

3 minutes ago, Lord Zimmer said:

Nolan is done with that universe and just wants to do his own thing. It’s just some stupid rumor brought to life by some 3rd grade nerdsite for clicks. 

Well, you should know best, Lord Zimmer.

1 hour ago, AC1 said:

I thought it was 2 movies in a row that underperformed. 

Dunkirk was a box office hit and was nominated for the Academy Awards, including Best Picture and Best Director.

Date Title US International Total
Sep 3, 2020 Tenet $57,929,000 $305,000,000 $362,929,000
Jul 21, 2017 Dunkirk $190,068,280 $329,564,286 $519,632,566
Nov 5, 2014 Interstellar $188,017,894 $464,529,561 $652,547,455
Jul 20, 2012 The Dark Knight Rises $448,139,099 $634,089,008 $1,082,228,107
Jul 16, 2010 Inception $292,576,195 $436,006,270 $728,582,465
Jul 18, 2008 The Dark Knight $533,720,947 $465,713,472 $999,434,419
Oct 20, 2006 The Prestige $53,089,891 $51,317,475 $104,407,366
Jun 15, 2005 Batman Begins $205,343,774 $153,660,728 $359,004,502
May 24, 2002 Insomnia $67,263,182 $46,359,317 $113,622,499
Mar 16, 2001 Memento $25,544,867 $14,178,229 $39,723,096
Apr 2, 1999 Following $48,482 $192,013 $240,495

https://www.the-numbers.com/person/106410401-Christopher-Nolan#tab=summary

2 hours ago, Edmilson said:

Dunkirk was a box office hit and was nominated for the Academy Awards, including Best Picture and Best Director.

I probably was thinking two 'artistic flops' in a row in the eyes of the man on the street or the average JWFan. I know I and PTA liked it but that's about it. So it makes sense. And heck, what else is Christian Bale going to do? Play a villain in a Marvel movie? 

26 minutes ago, Jay said:

Screenshot_2021-01-05-20-17-46.png

DUNKIRK was not an , artistic flop".

Many critics including EW named it " Best Picture"

Interstellar obviously rode the coattails of the BATMAN films.

Only way to describe its international b.o.

I didn't care much for the Illusionist at the time - I found it to be bland and almost disappointingly straightforward.  But enough years have passed that I'm willing to give that one a second try!

5 minutes ago, mstrox said:

I found it to be bland and almost disappointingly straightforward. 

Sometimes that's a nice break from all the "smart" films with too many subversions.

AND it's got Jessica Biel. :)