The DCU - DC Universe

Jay

• Replies 4.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What I always dreamed on seeing: an epic Justice League franchise of movies, with great scripts handled by Bruce Timm and Paul Dini, great performances and wonderful super powered battles, with flawless VFX.

What WB/DC releases: this shitty "shared universe" of TV shows with tiny budgets, awful cast, atrocious CGI, lots of teen drama romance, and no Batman, Green Lantern, Wonder Woman, and other beloved, iconic heroes. These shows are basically Power Rangers levels of bad, but with (some) DC heroes.

Just look at this and try not to cringe:

Translation: "Laughing at the DC heroes. Sausage Man, Super Taylor Swift, Super Weak, Batman in a Wig and PC Gamer Man."

4 hours ago, Gruesome Son of a Bitch said:

I thought it was the greatest movie ever?

Greater than Titanic?

2 hours ago, Arpy said:

It's certainly an overrated film. 

15 hours ago, HunterTech said:

Well your feed must've been skewered to the more positive, since the ones I saw were mixed out the gate. I more look at BvS as an example of not trusting early reviews.

Actually, these tweets were compilated in a IndieWire report, like those of "First Reactions of [name of the movie] are positive". And most of the entertainment websites I follow had these exact same tweets, all with glowing reactions to BoP.

I don't know if I'll like the movie or not, but I feel there's a positive bias towards this movie on the entertainment journalism right now, similar to those of Wonder Woman and Black Panther (two movies that I personally like, but I can't stand the fanboys saying that "only a white male to dislike this movies").

Black Panther was so culturally significant when it presented a futuristic utopian city within the heart of third-world, starvation, poverty and war-ridden Africa that refused to help those around them until an African American youth who wanted to arm the disaffected black youth of Chicago with laser guns to fight against white nationalism in the streets is defeated by a guy dressed as a panther.

5 minutes ago, Arpy said:

Black Panther was so culturally significant when it presented a futuristic utopian city within the heart of third-world, starvation, poverty and war-ridden Africa that refused to help those around them until an African American youth who wanted to arm the disaffected black youth of Chicago with laser guns to fight against white nationalism in the streets is defeated by a guy dressed as a panther.

You talk as if Coogler was not completely aware of all the issues he was wrestling with in that screenplay.

2 hours ago, Arpy said:

Look beyond that veneer and Black Panther does try and say a few things which have meaning.

Also, its a big budget film with a predominantly black cast, dealing with a political subject and it made a huge amount of money.

I would say its significant.

Black Panther's blackness IS its merit. It is the most novel thing about it. Make the same story with white characters and it would be the most ordinary movie in the world.

Greatness can derive from art's ability to create aesthetic surprise. And aesthetic surprise can arise from several avenues - including showing a vision of the world that we have never seen before. It is enough to take your breath away, show you a different perspective, bring up some new thoughts and new insight and a new way to understand our world.

Diversity isn't just for social justice. When used well it can serve a great and noble artistic purpose.

I liked Black Panther more than most of the phase 1 movies, but perhaps more for Ryan Coogler’s abilities behind the camera than anything else. For a director with no prior experience with blockbusters or big budgets, he created a film that more than holds its own against the work of seasoned pros.

1 hour ago, TheUlyssesian said:

Black Panther's blackness IS its merit. It is the most novel thing about it. Make the same story with white characters and it would be the most ordinary movie in the world.

You mean like Shakespeare?

7 hours ago, Edmilson said:

Actually, these tweets were compilated in a IndieWire report, like those of "First Reactions of [name of the movie] are positive". And most of the entertainment websites I follow had these exact same tweets, all with glowing reactions to BoP.

I specifically meant TRoS with that comment. The only negative thing I saw for BoP is someone who knows the movie isn't for him from all the Deadpool comparisons.

9 hours ago, Disco Stu said:

You talk as if Coogler was not completely aware of all the issues he was wrestling with in that screenplay.

You make it seem as if he was, when it was just another sloppy superhero film.

8 hours ago, Stefancos said:

Look beyond that veneer and Black Panther does try and say a few things which have meaning.

Also, its a big budget film with a predominantly black cast, dealing with a political subject and it made a huge amount of money.

I would say its significant.

It tries, but fails to do so. It makes those cultural issues seem like a one-dimensional 'racism for dummies' lesson. If the story wasn't so hollow and ironically racist, the Naboo-looking CGI salvaged from The Phantom Menace of all places makes the film look like garbage.

It's just the wrong film to throw support behind, when those important issues can be handled better elsewhere.

6 hours ago, HunterTech said:

I specifically meant TRoS with that comment. The only negative thing I saw for BoP is someone who knows the movie isn't for him from all the Deadpool comparisons.

Oh, I thought you were referring to my post and not to the one above about TROS, my bad :lol:

Birds of Prey is getting some good reviews out there: 91% on Rotten Tomatoes, with an Average Critic Rating of 7.07/10.

Comparing it with other DC movies, it's a great number:

-Wonder Woman: 93% Tomatometer, average rating of 7.64/10

-Aquaman: 66% Tomatometer, average rating of 6.04/10

-Shazam!: 90% Tomatometer, average rating of 7.28/10

-Joker: 68% Tomatometer, average rating of 7.22/10

That said, this number for Birds can still go down, only 95 reviews were posted yet. Also, with the Top Critics, the movie has significantly worse numbers, with 76% Tomatometer and average rating of 6.36/10. Using Wonder Woman and Shazam as comparatives, their numbers with Top Critics are 90% and 7.58/10 for WW and 87% and 6.84/10 for Shazam.

Well, it looks like the girly movie is a disaster at the box office. 

https://www.google.com/amp/s/deadline.com/2020/02/birds-of-prey-weekend-box-office-margot-robbie-1202853768/amp/

In the wake of hitting highs with Wonder Woman, Aquaman and the highest-grossing R-rated movie of all-time in the 11-time Oscar-nominated and billion-dollar-plus grossing Joker, Warner Bros’ DC is hitting a pothole in the road with the Suicide Squad spinoff Birds of Prey, which made $13 million yesterday (including previews) on its way to a $33.8 million opening stateside.

Birds of prey was ok. I expected a batman cameo at some point...I don't know why he couldn't be a part of it.

They could make a joke and make him arrive late when the girls already defeated the bad guys...

When it comes to the DC properties, WB seems to act like a bunch of morons.

Since the movie got positive reviews, why not screen it earlier for the critics, to build anticipation? You make the press screenings a few weeks earlier, the word gets out on the internet that BoP is actually a good movie (unlike Suicide Squad, which was the last time we say Robbie's Harley Quinn), put the tickets on sale, and the opening weekend will be a lot bigger. 

Also, why open it on early February (on the same spot as box office dynamos such as The Lego Movie 2 and the 2017 Rings reboot) and not on the President's day holiday? Deadpool, Daredevil, the first Kingsman and fucking Black Panther opened there to great results.

And fuck, why make this crap R Rated, since Harley has lots of fans among young girls? And apparently, the movie is not even violent like Deadpool or depressing like Joker and Logan. The R rating is mostly for some cursing here and there.

It's depressingly amateurish, idiotic beyond measure. 

I thought it looked awful as well. With DC, they basically have Batman and Superman and they've already done those definitively. Everything aside from and since the Nolan Batman movies (which I'm not a fan of, but that's besides the point) has mostly been trash. Joker is a weird exception. I also don't get the fascination with Wonder Woman, which was an extremely average and occasionally very crappy movie. I'm not even a Marvel fan, but even I can see that DC is ghetto as fuck compared to them.

Yeah, I don't understand the high praise Wonder Woman received - it was an average film with a silly bad guy. Shazam was fun, if a little thin.

They need to take things back to the drawing board and work out what creative direction is worth investing in. Go the animated route of Spiderverse, and make an interesting Teen Titans film series (I haven't seen the new show). Right now, the dark, edgy stuff seems to be all they can do until it's safe to dust off Batman and Superman again.

3 hours ago, Arpy said:

(I haven't seen the new show)

Don't even waste your time, it's terrible.

I've watched the first season and it takes itself way too seriously, with characters cursing, lots of violence, episodes dealing with heavy, depressing themes such as child sexual abuse (!).

It's like it was made by a teenager fanboy of the Snyder movies, that thinks every super-hero property must follow the Snyder template of darkness, gruesome R-Rated violence, edgy characters, etc.

I guess Squad fits more Gunn's sensibilities than other DC properties. Supposedly, he was offered other heroes, like a Man of Steel sequel, but he himself chose Suicide Squad.

That said, and discounting Gunn's movie (which apparently will be a reboot or something), I think it's a tremendous waste of good characters to keep making all these Suicide Squad spin offs. The 2016 movie wasn't even that beloved despite making money, and DC has a lot of other good characters that they still have to make a definitive theatrical version: Green Lantern, The Flash, Martian Manhunter, Cyborg, the Teen Titans, and, of course, the fucking Justice League. Instead, they'll keep churning Harley Quinn adventures. Geez...