The DCU - DC Universe

Jay

24 minutes ago, AC1 said:

They say it closest thing to the Nolan's Batman universe since Nolan's trilogy. 

I think Snyder did succeed at doing that with his first three movies, just like Ridley Scott did with his first three movies (although many would fault BR for the things you fault Snyder). I don't really care for his DC stuff. There he wants to be someone he's not. 

I consider Watchmen a failure too. Watchmen has everything going for it - the design literally could not be improved upon. 

But the story just does not come together as a coherent tale of human beings with their anxieties and concerns and what have you. The book is above all a truly fantastic story.

The movie is good stray moments recreated, but really does not have the appeal of a good story well-told. (One reason might be the absolutely awful casting in the film and his inability to direct actors.)

But yeah, Watchmen is a failed film too. Specially considering the book is an absolute masterpiece.

• Replies 4.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

24 minutes ago, TheUlyssesian said:

But the story just does not come together as a coherent tale of human beings with their anxieties and concerns and what have you.

You have a point, Snyder does seems to treat the Watchmen as ubermenschen, we don't get to tap into their psyche, but I did find it gripping from A to Z purely because of the way it was told. I found emotion in the style. Same for 300, BTW. Cinema that is still communicating or conveying through images. Other directors might be better with people and their anxieties but few will match the visual flair and style of Snyder's approach. 

I consider Watchmen to be Zack Snyder's 2nd best film. Sure, it's not perfect, and he got wrong many ideas from Alan Moore's comic book, but it's still a good movie.

Also, I liked that he improved upon Moore's story in the end, by making (spoiler for an 11 year old movie) Dr. Manhattan responsible for the explosion in NY, and not a giant space squid. I thought that was a better solution than Moore's original.

1 hour ago, Edmilson said:

I consider Watchmen to be Zack Snyder's 2nd best film. Sure, it's not perfect, and he got wrong many ideas from Alan Moore's comic book, but it's still a good movie.

Also, I liked that he improved upon Moore's story in the end, by making (spoiler for an 11 year old movie) Dr. Manhattan responsible for the explosion in NY, and not a giant space squid. I thought that was a better solution than Moore's original.

I agree about the ending

Big improvement.

The rest of the film was very  uneven.

Way too violent for my tastes.

2 hours ago, AC1 said:

You have a point, Snyder does seems to treat the Watchmen as ubermenschen, we don't get to tap into their psyche, but I did find it gripping from A to Z purely because of the way it was told. I found emotion in the style. Same for 300, BTW. Cinema that is still communicating or conveying through images. Other directors might be better with people and their anxieties but few will match the visual flair and style of Snyder's approach. 

The greatest indictment I can offer of the movie is that I think on the DVD they included the motion comic version. Lightly animated frames with a single man reading the dialog of all characters (both men and women).

I found that to be infinitely more moving and gripping and compelling than the movie. And that was probably produced for like 1500 bucks and the movie was produced for 150 million dollars.

There is something about a skilled storyteller - they can grip even with puppets. And some fail with even all the toys in the world at their disposal.

PS: I highly recommend the motion comic. It grips so cinematically within a few minutes and then you forget you are essentially watching lightly animated frames.

On 8/26/2020 at 3:51 PM, Edmilson said:

I cannot disagree more. Considering Manhattan fought for America in the Vietnam War, there is no way he would be considered not-American and enough of an external threat to unite the world. The space squid is important because it has no nationalism associated with it at all, it is an enigma, and could therefore shock the world into working together for a time. Manhattan would have been looked at as an extension of America and so it wouldn't work. The change doesn't hold up to logic.

He's certainly powerful enough, and you could argue the attack on American soil would help sway those opinions, but there is no way someone wouldn't think it was part of some American conspiracy to control things. Alan Moore doesn't make those kinds of mistakes. His stories should never be adapted for the screen. They are designed to take apart what comics are. By their very nature, they are subverting a different medium, so they do not transfer well at all, or ever.

27 minutes ago, blondheim said:

I cannot disagree more. Considering Manhattan fought for America in the Vietnam War, there is no way he would be considered not-American and enough of an external threat to unite the world. The space squid is important because it has no nationalism associated with it at all, it is an enigma, and could therefore shock the world into working together for a time. Manhattan would have been looked at as an extension of America and so it wouldn't work. The change doesn't hold up to logic.

I agree with this part. The space squid is a beautiful metaphor and the only way the story works.

It is also a better narrative construct because it adds to the air of mystery and intrigue surrounding the entire story.

There is almost this Randian construct - of all the brilliant people in the world disappearing etc.

Them creating the an uber space squid monster is the perfect endpoint for that.

3 hours ago, AC1 said:

I guess you've never seen Venom or Suicide Squad.

They're both terrible pieces of garbage that should never have been made. Not sure if they're any better than BvS...

3 hours ago, Edmilson said:

The diversity of opinions?

That, yes, but more especially, that people feel that they can post their opinions here, in the first place.

If someone likes VENOM, so what? Not having seen the film, I'm afraid that I can't comment on it, but I stand by @Arpy's decision to post.

JWfan might have some "strong" characters, but they don't get in the way of people posting their thoughts.

I applaud that.

😂 I think I made it clear that Venom is a disaster of a film that should never have been made, but even some goodness can come out of utter trash and not all shitty movies are always 100% bad all the time.

The same can be said about BvS, which was surprisingly decent up until the final act, which starts with the infamous "Wait! Your mother's name is Martha?" scene. From that moment on, the movie was surprisingly bad. 

Still, Venom was so childish, Venom's voice such a terrible idea, the humor so poor ... It never had any potential from the start.

19 minutes ago, AC1 said:

The same can be said about BvS, which was surprisingly decent up until the final act, which starts with the infamous "Wait! Your mother's name is Martha?" scene. From that moment on, the movie was surprisingly bad. 

I liked all the Batman/Gotham stuff. The rest can be cut out.

7 minutes ago, KK said:

I liked all the Batman/Gotham stuff. The rest can be cut out.

Affleck wasn't bad. Neither was Jeremy Irons, who has one of the coolest voices ever. But the storyline about Batman wanting to kill Superman with a spear was ass. Also dreaming about killing flying aliens with a machine gun in the middle east. What the fuck? That ain't Batman.

8 minutes ago, Naïve Old Fart said:

Really? Watch BvS, and then watch SUPERMAN. You'll soon tell the difference.

It's a bunch of blokes in capes pretending they're like school kids. Stupid.