The DCU - DC Universe

Jay

• Replies 4.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In the early days of the comic books, Batman was armed and had no qualms about killing crims. But then they got to thinking that that makes him no better than them, an idea which was present in the Bale/Nolan flicks but apparently not with 'Batfleck' (I haven't seen any of those movies, so can't say for sure). 

13 hours ago, blondheim said:

Marvel tends to try to appeal to everyone by giving us a little of everything every time: humor, a romance, mild terror, a theme park of set-pieces. I find this to be the lowest common denominator when it comes to creativity, sort of writing a film by committee. Visual pop songs. They have had 5-star films so it has occasionally been the right recipe.

This is excellent analysis!

1 hour ago, Koray Savas said:

Isn’t that essentially what Scorsese said a couple years ago?

Yes, he said they are theme park movies. Then he said there was nothing wrong with that but it's not for him.

I agreed with him at the time. About most Marvel movies at least, and a large part of the superhero genre in general. I've also heard the sentiment expressed by other reviewers about a variety of films.When Honey I Shrunk the Kids was released, those were the criticisms lobbed at it. They are some of the criticisms of Tenet, I believe.

1 hour ago, Edmilson said:

This along with yesterday’s revelation that Dwayne Johnson had contracted the virus is yet another reminder that the coronavirus is an insidious disease ambivalent to race, wealth or stature

So cringe. 

I vote for COVID 19 for the Nobel Peace Prize and honorary member of PRIDE. 

EXCLUSIVE: With New York, Los Angeles and San Francisco movie theaters still not open, our exhibition sources are hearing that Warner Bros is apt to move Wonder Woman 1984 again, this time out of its current October 2 date to either sometime in November or possibly to late December. That would bump the studio’s Legendary feature Dune out of its December 18 weekend to sometime in 2021.

Tenet is another reason why Wonder Woman 1984 won’t be able to go during the first weekend of October. With sources currently estimating that New York and Los Angeles won’t open movie theaters until early October/late September, the Christopher Nolan movie will still need to make a big splash in those markets, or at least make its best effort. Having Wonder Woman 1984 in Tenet‘s way won’t help its hopeful domestic tail at the box office.

https://deadline.com/2020/09/wonder-woman-1984-release-date-change-2020-november-christmas-1203019735/

I just looked it up because I figured they'd be back filming, but I guess it's only been a week since Pattinson tested positive for COVID.  Could have sworn it was weeks ago.  Hope he's on the mend.

I actually have very little interest in this Batman based on the little trailer they put out, but I'll probably see it (unless the reviews are as dismal as Justice League's, which I still haven't watched).

On 9/12/2020 at 10:51 AM, Edmilson said:

I believe Dune will actually come out in 2021. I don't think WB will let two of their biggest blockbusters compete with each other.

There's hardly any big movies for this year, as Christmas is usually very lucrative. Dune isn't a superhero tentpole film, so they're aiming at different audiences.

Sony successfully counterprogrammed their Jumanji movies against Disney's SW sequels in 2017 and 2019. Paramount released Adventures of Tintin and Mission Impossible: Ghost Protocol within days of each other in 2011.

4 minutes ago, mstrox said:

... unless the reviews are as dismal as Justice League's, which I still haven't watched.

You waited for The Snyder's Cut, eh?! Smart move!

3 hours ago, mstrox said:

Most of my hesitance to watch Justice League is informed by my dislike of BvS.

Those movies doesn’t really have much to do with each other, as sequels might do in other franchises. MoS and BvS are similar, but the similarities stop there.

So consider this: BvS got bad reviews for being boring, bleak and for having a nonsensical plot.

Then - go figure! - JL got bad reviews for putting the franchise on a new path (well, sorta).

Well, it just goes to show: You’re damned if you do and you’re damned if you don’t! :P

3 hours ago, mstrox said:

Most of my hesitance to watch Justice League is informed by my dislike of BvS.

I feel like had Whedon made the entirety of Justice League it would've technically been better. Before any Snyder fans freak out, Snyder's version I think will probably also be better than the theatrical version...Will it be good? I don't know, I'm skeptical, but anyway...my point.

The theatrical Justice League really feels like two different movies. Parts of it feel like an MCU kind of film and parts of it feel like it belongs in Snyder's world. It has a huge amount of trouble feeling like one cohesive vision when there are things pushing and pulling in different directions, sometimes within a single scene. One or the other would've been better than the Frankenstein that we wound up with. 

In other news related to Justice League, has anyone shared Junkie XL's sneak peek at the new score for the Snyder Cut?

In my opinion, we're clearly hearing a demo and not something recorded yet I don't think, but I'm not super impressed. I did not like the score for Man of Steel or BvS either though so...anyone that are fans of those may like it?

2 minutes ago, Edmilson said:

I liked the preview of Junkie's JL score. Sounds really decent, and not as annoying as his material for Man of Steel.

Maybe not as annoying, you're right. Sounds like it might be better, but...and again, this may because it's a demo, but I just don't feel anything when I hear it, you know? It has that usual big Zimmer sound. Almost sounds like someone took MCU music and Zimmerfied it. I don't really know what else to say about it

8 minutes ago, Edmilson said:

Who knows, maybe now with Conrad Pope helping him he might actually deliver a great score that isn't just violent drums.

I wonder if they are preparing to record it with an orchestra in 2021, right after the end of the pandemic.

I was wondering the same thing. If not, I wonder how they'll do it. Lol. Just get hundreds of tracks recorded from peoples houses?

You mention the violent drums. What is so frustrating to me is watching the Man of Steel featurette about having all those drummers in one room. As cool as that idea is 1.) Why for Superman? (Zimmer said it's because it sounded very American, but I don't know about that), but more importantly 2.) Why does it not sound or feel like I'm listening to that many people? It's never mixed in a way that exudes the kind of power I would expect from hearing that. 

4 minutes ago, TSMefford said:

Why does it not sound or feel like I'm listening to that many people? It's never mixed in a way that exudes the kind of power I would expect from hearing that. 

That's the same issue as with Fallout. They brag about hiring the LSO and expanding it with lots of additional players, while the end result sounds comparatively small and processed.

3 minutes ago, TSMefford said:

You mention the violent drums. What is so frustrating to me is watching the Man of Steel featurette about having all those drummers in one room. As cool as that idea is 1.) Why for Superman? (Zimmer said it's because it sounded very American, but I don't know about that), but more importantly 2.) Why does it not sound or feel like I'm listening to that many people? It's never mixed in a way that exudes the kind of power I would expect from hearing that. 

Yeah, these drums, combined with the horn of doom, are a huge reason why I dislike the MoS score. It has nothing to do with Superman. In a movie like Fury Road I can understand the constant drumming, since they represent a brutal, almost tribal, world, but in MoS it sounded just weird and very loud.

1 minute ago, Jurassic Shark said:

That's the same issue as with Fallout. They brag about hiring the LSO and expanding it with lots of additional players, while the end result sounds comparatively small and processed.

It's odd. It's possible some of it could just be due to the final mastering and ultra compression typically present on Zimmer releases (not sure about Fallout, haven't heard it), but perhaps you can only really experience it in something like a Dolby Atmos mix?

1 minute ago, Edmilson said:

Yeah, these drums, combined with the horn of doom, are a huge reason why I dislike the MoS score. It has nothing to do with Superman. In a movie like Fury Road I can understand the constant drumming, since they represent a brutal, almost tribal, world, but in MoS it sounded just weird and very loud.

Precisely. This feels more like Zimmer experimenting, which is great, I'm totally cool with that. Or maybe he just had a checklist of cool things he wanted to do in a score and used the budget as an opportunity. I don't know, but I don't buy that this is a score for Superman. Now, all those drummers getting together to score Fury Road as you said, or even something that is literally dealing with drums as a core part of the plot like Whiplash or something, could've been a powerful story telling tool.

Here? I just don't get it.

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/8/2020 at 9:26 AM, bruce marshall said:

BATMAN and ROBIN

The MARSHALL Mix

Museum Mayhem

Barbara Arrives

Ivy and Bruce

Cool Party Crasher

Matters of Trust

Partners Three

Prison Break/Freeze Lair/New Identity/Observatory

Final Battle

TT:49:11

Thor,

Does this compare to Goldenthals program.

The length this guy goes to, just to compensate his hurt ego is amazing. 

That Junkie XL theme is total trash. People just don't know how to shape themes anymore. Where's the theme in that? It's a bunch of brass notes with no discernable harmony or rhythm. That guy is scoring Godzilla vs Kong. Really, fuck that.