The DCU - DC Universe

Jay

I'm still annoyed that the 3 most iconic American superheroes (Superman, Batman, Spider-Man) are all currently played by gd Brits.  At least Captain America is still an American actor.

• Replies 4.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If they can find someone like that maybe DC will get back to the top. But as of now, it's just a giant mess.

And WB itself also isn't helping. I think a lot of things have to change inside WB. Maybe the Discovery merger will help.

• 2 weeks later...

Their franchises are so ramshackle that it would probably make more sense just to Not Have The Flash for a while.  Cinema has never had a movie focused on the Flash.  Unless Ezra Miller’s movie generates huge receipts this year (which would likely be in no small part due to Miller’s charisma in the role anyway), there’s not a lot of sense having a feller waiting in the wings…

• 5 weeks later...

I hope Phoenix is working with a BETTER script for the sequel. He deserved that Oscar for Joker, but it was a LOT of heavy lifting and choices HE made on his end.

I'm dreading who Phillips will cast as Harley Quinn.

Well that certainly looks like…something!  Looks like it hews away from the fun side of comic books for the most part, but that might just be Badass Trailer posturing.  As a comics fan and generally, I’m more intrigued by the presence of Hawkman and Dr. Fate than the character of Black Adam (presumably removed from both the character of Shazam/Captain Marvel and the tone of that movie).

For everyone complaining that all superhero movies are the same and people are getting bored, let's see the reaction to this.  Honestly, if Gaga is indeed playing Harley Quinn and their love story is told through song as they go around causing chaos around them it could be spectacular.

2 hours ago, Goldfinger said:

For everyone complaining that all superhero movies are the same and people are getting bored, let's see the reaction to this.  Honestly, if Gaga is indeed playing Harley Quinn and their love story is told through song as they go around causing chaos around them it could be spectacular.

Joker wasn't typical superhero movie. It was the Joker doing Taxi Driver. Who knows, maybe each movie of this Joker franchise will be a different genre, even though, the social drama aspect seem to have worked for the first one.

• 1 month later...

Exclusive: Fake Accounts Fueled the ‘Snyder Cut’ Online Army
A WarnerMedia report reveals that bots and other inauthentic users bolstered the fan-led campaign for director Zack Snyder’s Justice League do-over

A movie about the wars involving Snyder and WB would surely be more entertaining than most of DC's films.

New Shazam 2 trailer from Comic Con.

And something new from Black Adam.

With the announcement that Lorne Balfe is doing the score.

http://filmmusicreporter.com/2022/07/23/lorne-balfe-scoring-jaume-collet-serra-black-adam/

5 hours ago, JNHFan2000 said:

With the announcement that Lorne Balfe is doing the score.

http://filmmusicreporter.com/2022/07/23/lorne-balfe-scoring-jaume-collet-serra-black-adam/

Oh God. Why oh WHY do producers keep hiring this guy? This is likely going to be closer to his Pacific Rim Uprising nonsense than Black Widow.

3 hours ago, Matt C said:

Oh God. Why oh WHY do producers keep hiring this guy? This is likely going to be closer to his Pacific Rim Uprising nonsense than Black Widow.

Because Zimmer and Giacchino said no?

6 hours ago, Edmilson said:

Ed Sheeran would've written a better score than Balfe.

Heck, even a monkey can write better music than Balfe.

Balfe has mostly been missing the mark for me but if his score continues what he did for Black Widow, I am anticipating it.  

There is an LTP concert created for 'Wonder Woman' (2017)

https://schirmertheatrical.com/show/wonderwoman/

WWConcert.jpg

The world premiere would have taken place in Paris, France on October 28, 2022...

but it is now cancelled.

https://www.ledomedeparis.com/fr/spectacle/125/wonder-woman

I'm the last one to defend the Balfe, but I have come to the conclusion that he is very good at giving the powers-that-be what they want. Yes, he has mega-crap scores like Pacific RIm 2, but he also does decent fully orchestral animation stuff, while pulling off a decent Mancina approximation in Bad Boys 3, and some gritty Brit TV while he is at it (or whoever works under the Balfe label).....

Whatever Black Adam will be will be exactly what the producers decide it ought to be.

The composer simply won't matter. If it's Lennertz or Beck, they will all have to deliver the product that meets the studio regs. Balfe will deliver that.

Whether the score is a groany neo-Dunkirk, fine.

But it could also be something great like this one from Black Widow where the brief was clearly: do Desplat and Valerian but more Zimmer (in a positive way, for once):

On 23/07/2022 at 3:17 PM, JNHFan2000 said:

New Shazam 2 trailer from Comic Con.

Finally watched these trailers

Shazam 2 looks like a lot of fun!  And I've never even seen the first movie!

Black Adam looks dumb though

First movie was also a lot of fun.  A little bit cheesy, but I think that’s fine in a superhero movie.  Better fun and cheesy than grim.

Ive never found Black Adam to be a particularly interesting comic character and the trailers haven’t swayed me on that, but I’ll likely check it out eventually (still haven’t watched Joker, WW84, or The Batman, and likely never will watch either Justice League - so it may be a while until I get there though).  Black Adam is usually most interesting when contrasted with other characters like Captain Marvel/Shazam or Superman.  It’ll be neat to see what they do with Hawkman and Dr. Fate though, as they are more interesting comics characters.

13 hours ago, Edmilson said:

Batfleck fans, rejoice!

Ben Affleck Returning for ‘Aquaman and the Lost Kingdom’

Jason Momoa revealed Bruce Wayne is back for the 'Aquaman' sequel.

I don't give two shits about Aquadude, but I enjoy Affleck's take on Batman/Bruce Wayne.

On 29/07/2022 at 9:35 AM, Naïve Old Fart said:

I don't give two shits about Aquadude, but I enjoy Affleck's take on Batman/Bruce Wayne.

I am the opposite. With Pattinson, I don't have any care for Affleck's Batman. I do enjoy Momoa as Aquaman though. 

6 hours ago, Bilbo said:

Imagine how deliciously awful it must be for them to just write off that money? 

i've read reddit reports that it isn't, the new board just wants to focus on big event blockbusters so they shut off this smaller direct to streaming detective movie, money spent on it was spent by the previous board so it's no loss. Which is a pretty fucking stupid thing to do if true.

The trades are reporting similar:

https://deadline.com/2022/08/batgirl-scoob-discard-warnerbros-discovery-david-zaslav-jason-kilar-hbo-max-strategy-1235084032/

https://variety.com/2022/film/news/batgirl-movie-why-not-releasing-warner-bros-1235332062/amp/

I’d have been much more likely to watch a lowkey Batgirl detective movie from Ms. Marvel directors than I am to watch Black Adam or a sequel to the god-awful Aquaman movie, so bummer!

I was really looking forward to this movie. I like Leslie Grace and the previous stuff Adil El Arbi & Billal Fallah did was always great.

Their 2 big projects Ms. Marvel & Bad Boys For Life were both very well directed.

And I've seen 2 of their films they made in Belgium, which also both were very strong.

I was looking forward to see what they did with the character. I hope they get some other project quick. I would maybe give them one of the other big Marvel projects