The DCU - DC Universe

Jay

• Replies 4.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On 08/12/2022 at 11:34 PM, Edmilson said:

A new report by Deadline detailing the current situation for a lot of DC's major actors and franchises, including Cavill, Gadot, Miller and Johnson. No word on Ben Affleck, though.

https://deadline.com/2022/12/dc-wonder-woman-james-gunn-man-of-steel-1235193778/

Man, the whole chaos at DC is much more entertaining to watch than 80% of their movies *Michael Jackson popcorn gif*

thriller mj GIF

4 hours ago, Andy said:

He looked tough, but lifeless.  For a character depicted as breaking the fourth wall with a wink, Cavill lacked that eye twinkle. 

Be patient, Andy. Soon they'll be able to deepfake Christopher Reeve and everything will be alright again.

Oh gosh, the whole situation at DC would be tragic if it wasn't hysterical.

An insider told THR that Cavill was out because, in the end, he was just "a pawn in Dwayne’s failed attempt to control a piece of DC”. 

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/movies/movie-news/why-henry-cavill-is-no-longer-superman-1235283791/

The Rock wanted to get in the lucrative superhero world at all costs and tried to use Superman for that, but in the end his movie took so long to get into the theaters that, when it finally happened, DC announced Gunn a few days later. It didn't help that Black Adam had poor critics and box office (it will gross less worldwide than Eternals).

3 hours ago, AC1 said:

Marvelites and Disney worshippers just want to see DC die. Better yet, they want Disney to buy DC. 

Probably not true, because no matter how bad a Marvel project is they can reassure themselves when watching the last DC movie

It feels like people still want to watch superhero movies but the excitement is not there as much as it was 5 years ago. I think superhero movies will still be a big thing for another 10 years or more but there won't be the same amount as there has been. I'm not sure if the addition of the marvel TV shows was a good idea in the long run. 

It feels like if Gunn manages to fix DC, it's like 5 years too late but who knows, maybe the slight marvel fatigue will work in DC's favor. 

The Phase Four Marvel TV shows have by and large (maybe not She-Hulk lol) been much more consistent and better conceived than the Phase Four movies have been, Shang-Chi perhaps being an exception but I’d still have preferred to have a limited series for that in retrospect, and skip the big budget Marvel CGI third act…

Yavar

On 21/12/2022 at 8:40 PM, Goldfinger said:

Gunn wrote the 2 live action Scooby Doo movies so he knows how to write for kids.  

There's a difference between movies you can watch with kids or movies written for kids. 

6 hours ago, AC1 said:

There's a difference between movies you can watch with kids or movies written for kids. 

And believe me there's a difference between Toy Story and The Incredibles and Strawberry Shortcake.

Be the day, Alex. Jay is quite capable of alerting himself. There are many things I would alert Jay to, but Strawberry Shortcake isn't one of them.

Simply put, I wasn't sure what Strawberry Shortcake was, so looked it up. Turns out, it's a rather innocuous, animated telly show.

1 hour ago, Andy said:

I just want to see a Superfriends film. 

It already exists, it's the 2017 theatrical cut of JL (aka Josstice League).

I'd argue that Josstice is the most kid-friendly movie of the DCEU, even more than Shazam!, which has some scary moments for little children.

12 minutes ago, Edmilson said:

It already exists, it's the 2017 theatrical cut of JL (aka Josstice League).

I'd argue that Josstice is the most kid-friendly movie of the DCEU, even more than Shazam!, which has some scary moments for little children.

And a strip club.

That wasn’t Superfriends.  Despite the ending with Gleek. 

I want a full on Flash Gordon style garish Superfriends movie.  Problem is, I’m the only one. 

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I didn't hate the first one. But Captain Marvel (dammit) was my absolute favorite superhero when I was growing up so it really needed to be better than that for me.

Give us us sequel!

It may be sassy, and it might even be better than the original (I don't know; I haven't watched it), but it doesn't appear to offer anything you haven't seen or heard, many, too many, times before. Apart from making a shit load of moolah, I honestly question why these kind of films are continuing to be made. Redundant and desensitizing, it, and the other films DCEU/MCU films before it, are cinematic dross.

17 minutes ago, Nick1Ø66 said:

☑️ Cars being thrown & overturned (cars MUST be thrown)

It's tradition ya know ;)

2220px-Action_Comics_1.jpg

7 hours ago, rough cut said:

Me thinks you answered your own question there.

I agree, but that is my point.

There is no worthwhile undertaking, with these films. There is no aesthetic quality to them. The only reason that they exist is to make money. Surely, that cannot be enough?

Money talks… and for better or for worse, that’s how it is.

I agree that the superhero movie genre these days is way too unimaginative (ironic!, since it’s very origin comes from imagining the impossible) and formulaic (thanks, Marvel! ;)).

But there are so many movies out there, movies with story, morale, great acting and aesthetics… and then there are superhero blockbusters.

I haven’t seen Everything Everywhere All At Once (yet) but at least that seems to be an ‘artsy’ action movie. Since that one was a huge success, maybe more of its kind will follow. Is that what you feel is missing from the genre?

4 minutes ago, rough cut said:

Money talks… and for better or for worse, that’s how it is.

Yes, money talks, and yes, that's how it is.

It’s not Hollywood’s fault, they’re doing what they’re designed to do, sell tickets. They’re being true to their nature. They sell tickets, we buy tickets. That's how we talk with our money, in which films we choose to buy tickets for. 

As long as they continue to serve dog food and fans eat it up like it's filet mignon, we're stuck with what we get, and are expected to enjoy it. Not only enjoy it, but be grateful for it. The fault lies with us. The cinema we get, we deserve. 

8 minutes ago, rough cut said:

I haven’t seen Everything Everywhere All At Once

Well then, there it is.

1 hour ago, Edmilson said:

2022 it seems that nowadays the audience is hungry for more different, old-fashioned but meticulously crafted entertainment.

Yes. A surprising development, but a welcome one. Let’s hope it continues, and that Hollywood gets the message. 

With any luck, Iron Eagle 5 is that much closer to becoming a reality.

The difference is that Marvel movies are produced at an industrial scale, while with Avatar Cameron took his time to polish his sequels as much as he wanted to. I think there's more passion in its craft than with most MCU movies (and TV shows), where the directors do what Feige wants and leave for overworked VFX artists to figure out the biggest action scenes.

And I'm not saying I'm totally on #teamAvatar against Marvel. I love a few of their movies and prefer them to the Na'Vi saga. But tbh I felt The Way of Water was more interesting and well-crafted than any Phase 4 movie, while I haven't fall loved a superhero movie since 2019.

What I mean is, in the end, they are both amusement park rides. If Marvel gets replaced with Avatar movies or some other big expensive CGI spectacle, nothing will have changed, IMO. 

While I'm not a fan of the Avatar ride, I did enjoy some of the Marvel spectacles. But, yeah, it's been a while since there has been a good one.