The DCU - DC Universe

Jay

• Replies 4.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

“There are a lot of incredibly talented people in front of and behind the camera in that film, but that was not releasable. It happens sometimes.”

So it was bad in spite of all the incredible talent involved? Is that what he is saying?

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/video/james-mangold-in-talks-to-tackle-swamp-thing-movie-for-james-gunn-peter-safrans-dc-studios-thr-news/

Mangold has made nothing but incredible films, especially since 3:10 To Yuma. At this point I would trust him with anything. I eagerly await every movie he directs and I feel Indy 5 is going to be great!

• 2 weeks later...
6 minutes ago, Tallguy said:

I'm never tired of superhero movies (apparently true) but I'm getting a little tired of multi-verses.

It's funny that as soon as Marvel headed down that path, DC followed suit.

1 minute ago, crumbs said:

It's funny that as soon as Marvel headed down that path, DC followed suit.

I think DC got there first, on TV. I kinda see it the other way around. Also, DC was known for Infinite Earths a lot longer than Marvel was.

1 hour ago, Tallguy said:

I think DC got there first, on TV. I kinda see it the other way around. Also, DC was known for Infinite Earths a lot longer than Marvel was.

Yup, Flash introduced Earth-2 in its second season.

Honestly, I wish Danny Elfman had scored Flash more than Multiverse of Madness (but not more than No Way Home instead of MoM). It'd be really interesting seeing him be put into the position where he A) has to presumably expand upon a fairly minor theme he rushedly wrote for a character who is now the central hero of a new movie, B) expand upon the musical soundscape he established in Justice League while C) trying to figure out how to rectify it with previous musical material he wrote for another character in a different style. What sensibilities he would use to approach those challenges, whether it was using a soundscape that merged the two--Batman '89/Returns '92/Flash ‘90?-- against JL, something that largely grounded itself in the nostalgic superhero sound of old, or something that saw him updating his older themes to conform to the newer vision, would be so interesting to know.

6 hours ago, AC1 said:

Rabid Snyder fans are now demanding that DC needs to sell the Snyderverse to Netflix. 

TBF what is missing in this is Henry Cavil.

IF this is a massive hit, what will that do to Gunn's plans?

I suspect that we’ll see brief cameos from the Snyder-era Justice League in this one, even if just as glimpses as the Flash wipes them all away into the Wal Mart blu-Ray bargain bins forever.  If they got Affleck back, they could easily get the more enthusiastic participants of the Snyderverse back.

2 hours ago, Naïve Old Fart said:

When Michael Keaton appeared and said: "I'm Batman", I swear a little bit of wee came out.

I know, got the same problem. Think it's either age or too much caffeine. ;)

The trailer makes it look like it could be a decent guilty pleasure at the very least.

Karol

Upon rewatching the Flash trailer, it's such a weird creative choice to play the theme for Ben Affleck's Batman from Justice League for Michael Keaton's Batman. Wish they had done something different for the character.

/s

Hard to tell whether this will be any good.  I want it to be because I generally like Keaton and this pushes some of my nostalgia buttons, but the trailer itself just feels unbelievably BUSY (which was a similar complaint I had with the Black Panther 2 trailer, but that movie itself thankfully had a much more laid back pace than advertised).

How have we come to 2023, with advancements made in CGI, and any studio thinks 'You know what, this looks acceptable to release'. It looks awful. 

All of the intrigue and power of Burton's gothic Batman is stripped bare by lazy CG. It honestly doesn't evoke any sense of nostalgia and instead makes me feel sad that THIS is how Keaton chooses to return...

A multiverse movie for a dead universe is a dumb and funny idea but I do like the look of the movie from the trailers.  The taller 16:9 shots feel a lot more dynamic than your average 2.35 MCU film 

Superheroes are the modern equivalent of tall tales after all

Him mostly in the dark is fine, as long as he can actually be 'made out' in same. From the clips I've seen of The Batman, it looks like there would've been a whole lotta squintin' going on. 

8 hours ago, JNHFan2000 said:

Am I one of the only people who still finds it extremely jarring to see Batman in the daylight. I wasn't a uge fan of it in The Dark Knight Rises either. It just feels off to me

Yep. In the daylight, Batman just looks like a man in a silly costume. I miss the days when Batman had mystique because he lived and worked in Tim Burton’s neo-Gothic shadows. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

In a desperate attempt to create hype for a movie that doesn't have any, WB released a spot for Shazam 2 featuring the cameo for a major DC hero, which I'll put in the spoiler tag:

Spoiler

On 25/07/2022 at 5:07 PM, SyncMan said:

There is an LTP concert created for 'Wonder Woman' (2017)

https://schirmertheatrical.com/show/wonderwoman/

WWConcert.jpg

The world premiere would have taken place in Paris, France on October 28, 2022...

but it is now cancelled.

https://www.ledomedeparis.com/fr/spectacle/125/wonder-woman

The world premiere of that LTP concert will take place at the Royal Albert Hall this October 25th.

https://www.royalalberthall.com/tickets/events/2023/wonder-woman/

Superman: Legacy Taps James Gunn to Direct, Gets Plot Synopsis

https://www.comingsoon.net/movies/news/1274224-superman-legacy-director-james-gunn

Superman: Legacy tells the story of Superman’s journey to reconcile his Kryptonian heritage with his human upbringing as Clark Kent of Smallville, Kansas. He is the embodiment of truth, justice and the American way, guided by human kindness in a world that sees kindness as old-fashioned.”

On 26/1/2023 at 10:39 AM, Nick1Ø66 said:

☑️ People flying

☑️ People falling

☑️ People flying catching people falling

☑️ People smashing people into walls

☑️ People getting smashed into walls

☑️ Electric bolts of electric magic being shot at people

☑️ Said bolts being deflected

☑️ Shots of people landing in "hero" stance

☑️ Heroes "assembling" shot

☑️ Villains emerging from rifts in the sky/ground

☑️ Villain in voice-over saying ominous/threatening things

☑️ Cars being thrown & overturned (cars MUST be thrown)

☑️ Scary looking CGI creatures doing CGI things

☑️ Third act massive destruction in major metropolitan city by scary looking CGI creatures doing CGI things and people flying around, falling, smashing into walls, throwing cars and sending magic electric bolts. Extras fleeing.

☑️ Sly pop-culture reference. Occasional quip/snarky humour to let us know we just don't take any of this as seriously as you do. Now, seriously give us your Dollars, Pounds, Euro, Yen & Yuan!

Rinse & repeat. And don't forget to put your phone on silent.

Never change Hollywood, never change.

☑️ Box Office Flop