The DCU - DC Universe

Jay

• Replies 4.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is funny, although since the source is some YouTuber it's probably balogna. 

If true, sounds like Pattinson refuses to take HGH like the rest of the superhero actors!  Honestly, I believed Michael Keaton as Batman.  The suit does most of the heavy lifting.  There's no reason Batman needs to be jacked like Captain America or latter-day Wolferine.

I doubt that these days ... that said, there's probably no need to go as far in the other direction as Affleck's embittered neck-snapping Bats either. 

The Bale movies trod an ideal middle-ground ... sure there's darkness, but still room for Bond-and-Q type banter between Bruce and Lucius Fox. 

The darkness in Batman movies is patently ridiculous. Bruce Wayne is a borderline case if ever there was one - literally a person who is on some kind of a mental illness spectrum. Or maybe like Zack Snyder wanted - he should be raped in prison or something. How's that for darkness.

Batman doesn't work outside of his own universe. I get that doing cinematic superhero universe movies is all the rage, but fuck, man. Batman vs. Kryptonian monsters and other aliens? It's just ludicrous. Remember the end fight in BvS where he's just swinging around on a grappling hook and not doing anything because, well, what is he going to do?

On the comics and cartoons he has been fighting aliens, supernatural beings and other more fantastic enemies alongside the Justice League for decades, it's really nothing new. He even developed a plan on how to defeat each and every member of the League in case they turn evil!

Just on the cinemas the filmmakers have this obsession on making Batman movies "dark, grim and very realistic". Yeah, sure, because a movie about a guy who dresses like a rodent have to be as rooted in reality as possible. Meanwhile, the MCU has a purple villain that erases from existence half of the universe after battling a blue alien, a guy in an iron suit, a teenager in a Spider suit and a magician, and they already made over 20 billions at the BO.

1 hour ago, mstrox said:

It makes just as much sense as Black Widow and Hawkeye fighting Thanos!  If the movie is well made, people will suspend their disbelief.

Exactly. Also, neither Black Widow or Hawkeye fought Thanos directly, the only heroes that faced him are the ones with superpowers (Thor, Scarlet Witch, Captain Marvel, Doctor Strange), aliens (Drax, Nebula) or with technological enhancements (Iron Man, Spider-Man, Captain America, Star Lord). Still, even with their limitations, they managed to be useful for the team, like Black Widow flying trying to close the portal on the first Avengers, dueling with Proxima Midnight, or Hawkeye helping the team with the Ultron bots and running with the Gauntlet during Endgame's climax.

What I like behind these superhero teams is that, even with very different habilities and power levels, they manage to combine their strengths and face a common enemy. It is what the MCU movies did, and what the DC movies failed to do so far - no one needs Batman facing directly that FOTR troll Doomsday, but rather using his skills (strategic planning, advanced combat, weapons, etc) to help the League.

This is a great example of why I don't care what happens in the comics. It also translates into a stupid movie having Batman fighting with and against aliens. Whatever the fuck that was in Suicide Squad should never, ever be a part of a universe with Batman.

I mean, "the comics" also had Star Trek teaming up with the X Men for Christ's sake.

23 hours ago, TheUlyssesian said:

Bruce Wayne is a borderline case if ever there was one - literally a person who is on some kind of a mental illness spectrum.

There is no spectrum of "mental illness", only diagnoses. 

Which mental illness do you think that Wayne might have?

5 minutes ago, Gruesome Son of a Bitch said:

In the comics, Selina Kyle was a hooker. I like her better as a neurotic secretary.

That was only in Frank Miller's stuff, I think

Some interesting news regarding the development of future DC movies were revealed yesterday by Variety:

• There was rumour that the upcoming Batman movie with Robert Pattinson would be entirely set on Arkham Asylum (similar to the 2009 game, I guess), but only a handful of scenes will happen there. But the movie will feature a large ensemble of villains, including Paul Dano as The Riddler, Colin Farrell as Penguin and Zoe Kravitz as Catwoman.
  • If the movie works, WB believes that some of these villains could headline their own spin-offs. Key castmembers on both The Batman and Birds of Prey have contract options to appear in sequels and standalone movies.
  • However, there is less clarity on what to do with the other DC iconic hero: Superman. There have been discussions with J.J. Abrams, whose Bad Robot signed a massive deal with WB.
  • Also, earlier this year studio execs had a meeting with Michael B. Jordan, who pitched to WB his own vision for the character. But he isn't ready to commit, since filming apparently won't happen for several years.
  • Therefore, a new Superman movie is unlikely to be released before 2023 - ironically, 10 years later than the previous Superman solo movie.
  • Walter Hamada, who was hired as president of DC Films in 2018, and Toby Emmerich, who is WB film chief, are credited on helping right the DC movies. Thanks to them, the studio got comfortable on backing R-Rated comic book movies, like Joker and the upcoming Birds of Prey.
  • Because of that, it is probable that James Gunn's upcoming The Suicide Squad will be R Rated as well.
  • Now that Fox is under Disney's umbrella, and is unclear if they will continue to release movies like Deadpool and Logan, WB is more than happy to fill the quota for R Rated comic book movies.
  • Green Lantern Corps remains a priority for the studio, and Geoff Johns (who wrote my favorite run of the Corps on the 2000s) is delivering a script by the end of the year. Then, the project might be presented to Abrams and Bad Robot to see if they have interest.
  • Johns is also partnering with Greg Berlanti (producer of the Arrowverse TV shows) on a series centered on the Green Lantern Corps for HBO Max. 
  • WB also still have faith on Ezra Miller as The Flash. The standalone movie based on the character will be directed by It's Andy Muschietti and written by Bumblebee's Christina Hodson, who will finish this assignment before writing a screenplay for Batgirl, also for DC.
  • However, production won't start until Miller finishes the filming of the third Fantastic Beasts movie, which means cameras are unlikely to roll until 2021.
  • WB is looking for a director for The Trench, a spin-off of Aquaman.
  • Aquaman 2 will be again directed by James Wan and starred by Jason Momoa, and filming will begin on early 2021.
  • HBO Max is currently looking for DC properties that could be turned into films on the platform. The idea is to make movies with lower budgets (aroun $65 millions) and not rely on established stars.
  • Finally: there are no plans for release the Snyder Cut of Justice League, which will probably never happen. Nerds were heard crying in despair all over Twitter.

https://variety.com/2019/film/news/dc-comics-superman-michael-b-jordan-green-lantern-aquaman-birds-of-prey-1203415757/

On 11/26/2019 at 4:17 PM, Gruesome Son of a Bitch said:

I mean, "the comics" also had Star Trek teaming up with the X Men for Christ's sake.

Some of those crossover comics are good. 

Too bad WB and Marvel didn't team up for JLA/Avengers back before Disney bought the latter. The scope of that would make Avengers Endgame look like child's play.