The DCU - DC Universe

Jay

I like the poster, it looks fun.

I don’t like the character posters, they look silly.

I watched the trailer, and, eh, ... the colors are nice. I guess. Look, I didn’t enjoy the previous two movies in this franchise, and what’s more, they seem to be getting worse with each movie.

But I can see how there’s an audience for this. Good for them.

And I’ll say what I do for every DC movie: I hope it’s good or at least does well, so they can keep making more movies, and that those movies also will be good.

That way, there’s a good chance that a movie will be made and that it’ll be exceptionally good. And maybe that it’ll have be a good Superman story as well.

Who knows?

I’m secretly holding out for a Routh Kingdom Come-movie.

• Replies 4.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Apparently, the main antagonist of Gunn's Suicide Squad will be Starro, a giant alien starfish that was the first enemy that the Justice League faced together in the comics:

https://www.comicbookmovie.com/suicide_squad/the_suicide_squad/the-suicide-squad-heres-everything-you-need-to-know-about-the-bizarre-villain-from-todays-trailer-a183551

BOMBA! Vilão de Esquadrão Suicida 2 pode ser o Starro! - Portal Refil

On 3/26/2021 at 7:19 PM, Jay said:

The trailer is here

Damn.  I didn't laugh once.  Oh well.

Oh yeah, that’s a quality sign, having John Cena in your film.

6 minutes ago, Jay said:

Strange aspect ratio in this Suicide Squad tv spot

Oh no. Here we go again. Odd. It's even taller than 4:3. Almost looks like a social video, but it says "Watch the trailer Online" which wouldn't make any sense to put on Social. Unless they were just too lazy to change the VO and Graphics.

Regardless. From a quick comparison, it's basically just cropped in on the sides from the 1.85:1 footage with some slight open matting to the top and bottom. Odd choice indeed. I'll stick with the 1.85:1, since that appears (for now) to be what Gunn wants.

It’s Zack Snyder’s original intention for James Gunn’s The Suicide Squad.

This does not appear to be an expansion of image, just a crop.  A lot of online advertising is cropped to fit Instagram, which is all vertical.  

22EC12BC-09FE-4C3C-A919-DE3E18704590.jpeg907E85B9-1624-45CC-AA15-9FB5F8710BD0.jpeg

Aye, i'd reckon that's someone re-uploading an instagram trailer to youtube

Oh, this one is the same way

16 minutes ago, mstrox said:

This does not appear to be an expansion of image, just a crop.  A lot of online advertising is cropped to fit Instagram, which is all vertical.  

It is a very slight expansion at the top and bottom actually. Check the topmost row of stars, they have their points in the vertical framed one vs being slightly cropped in the 1.85:1. Also there's a shadow on the ground at the very bottom that is cropped out in the 1.85:1.

But yes, it's basically a crop. Seems they gave the editors an open matte version though so they could have some more vertical leeway.

13 minutes ago, Jay said:

Aye, i'd reckon that's someone re-uploading an instagram trailer to youtube

If that's the case, then they should really get someone to swap the VO and graphics. We're already online. Lol.

On 3/31/2021 at 12:25 AM, Edmilson said:

Ayer still hopes to release his supposed cut of Suicide Squad. 

It’s kind of sad that the most vocal supporter for the ‘Ayer cut’ comes from Ayer himself. You gotta look out for number one though, right?

I don’t want it, and I’ll sure as hell never pay for it, but if it showed up on HBO one day, I’d watch it because, apparently, I like to torture my self.

I’ll tell you what I would pay for though. A re-remaster of 4K of Batman 1989. Instead we got a remaster of BvS. Huh? Go figure.

20 minutes ago, bruce marshall said:

Any chance of a STAR WARS/DCEU crossover?

No, but when people finally get tired of superhero movies, a desperate Marvel and DC will do crossovers (in order to attract the audiences) resulting in HULK vs Superman movies.

26 minutes ago, rough cut said:

I'd watch Superman v Godzilla.

It depends. Is Godzilla radioactive blue fire Kryptonite-like? Because if it is, well the man in the red cape is f%§k( unless Williams is back for music and in that case I don't think the big lizard will live long...). I don't want a fight too short...

Why are the DC geeks so upset about "Snyderverse" getting cancelled? 

Man of Steel had mixed reactions. 

Batman v Superman was gobshite. 

And Justice League was a disaster, that took years, and another 70 million, to turn into a "too little too late" movie. 

Maybe get some directors that don't hate superheros would be a good start. 

4 hours ago, gkgyver said:

Why are the DC geeks so upset about "Snyderverse" getting cancelled? 

Man of Steel had mixed reactions. 

Batman v Superman was gobshite. 

And Justice League was a disaster, that took years, and another 70 million, to turn into a "too little too late" movie. 

Maybe get some directors that don't hate superheros would be a good start. 

Why do you always sound like a troll?

The answer is obvious. There are people who like those movies.

@gkgyver doesn’t sound like a troll, I think that a lot of people share his opinions. That thing about Snyder hating superheroes is a bit of fun speculation, but Incorrect, me thinks.

As much as I have spoken about my dislike towards the Snyderverse, I do think that Snyder has a good superhero movie or two in him.

Just not about Superman. He doesn’t understand the charachter. And Snyder’s style and inclination is much more appropriate for something ‘darker’.

They should’ve given him something else, anything else. He has said that, during his initial talks with DC (before MoS), it wasn’t settled on any particular hero. He asked to do their most popular franchise, Batman. DC said no. Snyder, then going for the next best thing, asked for Superman. DC said yes.

I wish they would’ve given him Batman. Which they eventually did anyway. After the success of MoS, he immediately suggested to do BvS, he was so horny for Batman. I guess that’s why that movie is more centered around ol’ Bats rather than ol’ Supes.

Still, both those movies are bad, bad, bad. His version of JL is too long to be good, but still better than the first two. You can tell that DC had given him a lot of pointers and that he was no longer able to do whatever he wanted (which is ironic considering the grass roots campaign for its re-release “release Zack’s original vision”).

Point is, even from the start, I think he did his best. It was just a bad match. It really is the fault of strategic managing from DC.

They should’ve given him Batman.

Or Lobo, that would’ve been cool.

3 minutes ago, rough cut said:

@gkgyver doesn’t sound like a troll, I think  that a lot of people share his opinions.

Even though you share his opinion, you don't sound like a troll. 

37 minutes ago, rough cut said:

@gkgyver doesn’t sound like a troll, I think that a lot of people share his opinions. That thing about Snyder hating superheroes is a bit of fun speculation, but Incorrect, me thinks.

As much as I have spoken about my dislike towards the Snyderverse, I do think that Snyder has a good superhero movie or two in him.

Just not about Superman. He doesn’t understand the charachter. And Snyder’s style and inclination is much more appropriate for something ‘darker’.

They should’ve given him something else, anything else. He has said that, during his initial talks with DC (before MoS), it wasn’t settled on any particular hero. He asked to do their most popular franchise, Batman. DC said no. Snyder, then going for the next best thing, asked for Superman. DC said yes.

I wish they would’ve given him Batman. Which they eventually did anyway. After the success of MoS, he immediately suggested to do BvS, he was so horny for Batman. I guess that’s why that movie is more centered around ol’ Bats rather than ol’ Supes.

Still, both those movies are bad, bad, bad. His version of JL is too long to be good, but still better than the first two. You can tell that DC had given him a lot of pointers and that he was no longer able to do whatever he wanted (which is ironic considering the grass roots campaign for its re-release “release Zack’s original vision”).

Point is, even from the start, I think he did his best. It was just a bad match. It really is the fault of strategic managing from DC.

They should’ve given him Batman.

Or Lobo, that would’ve been cool.

The Superman project was more available at the time too, because WB had this "Man of Steel" project in development hell as a sequel to Superman Returns. They just chucked MoS at Snyder and I think no-one was really sure whether it was going to be part of the Nolanverse yet.

10 hours ago, Jay said:

Well, I liked the first 30 seconds. Those were probably the movie's coolest shots. Then it's back to the jokes again but to me it feels like Gunn has lost his mojo.

38 minutes ago, AC1 said:

Well, I liked the first 30 seconds. Those were probably the movie's coolest shots. Then it's back to the jokes again but to me it feels like Gunn has lost his mojo.

Might be possible after what Disney has done to him.

Anyway still really waiting for his movie, big fan of the man's work.

Love Guardians Vol. 1 but Vol.2 was a disappointment for me. It suffered a bit from 'wanting to do too much'. The jokes in The Suicide Squad trailers aren't very promising either. But I'm sure the world disagrees with me.