X-Men: Apocalypse (2016 film directed by Bryan Singer)

I can't decide how I feel about James McAvoy repeating Patrick Stewart's line from X2 about pitying "poor fool who comes to my school looking for trouble." But I think I'm erring on the side of it being dumb.

• 2 weeks later...

All the trailers really did anything for me. But I wonder whether Ottman will come back to a more traditional sound with this one. The previous score was a huge letdown in this department.

Karol

• 2 weeks later...
6 minutes ago, Alexcremers said:

Looks like a terrible Jennifer Lawrence vehicle. Bah!

Nah, it doesn't look anything like the Hunger Games.

There's hardly any difference.

Really, it's quite clear that they think the X-men franchise needs to ride on the stardom of Lawrence.

Alex - who longs to the days of Rebecca Romijn

The way Romijn moves is very important to the performance. Like a predator, but also with a certain fluent grace. It's more a physical acting performance then one based on dialogue. It kind of reminds me how Robert Patrick made his T-1000 distinctive by the way of body language.

Romijn did a good job of personifying this mutant and playing her physically, but it's hard to say that Mystique was much of a character in the first three movies (not Romijn's fault, but the scripts didn't give the character anything good to do).

Indeed. I prefer the silent, mysterious, intangible creature that she once was over the blabbering and run-the-show Katniss that she has become.

It is pretty ridiculous that they've turned Mystique from a relatively obscure and minor character into a major player in all six films due to the popularity of her two actresses.  In the first X-Men it was almost like a gimmick to cast Rebecca Romijn in the role; Take a model and completely cover her with makeup so you can't even tell its her.  And guys, wouldn't most of the stunt work you're talking about have been done by a stunt actress and not Romijn?  Anyways, they realized since they had Romijn they should actually show her face, which they did in 2 and 3 in memorable scenes (At least I think they showed her in 3... I barely remember that movie).

Then for the reboot trilogy, they basically got randomly lucky and got Jennifer Lawrence just before she blew up due to the Hunger Games, so they increased her role drastically in Days of Future Past and it looks like Apocalypse too based on the trailers.  If whoever had played her in First Class hadn't become a superstar who knows if they would have even come back to her in the sequels.  I guess her powers make her a fun mutant to have in your ensemble for various situations, but yea its really because of Lawrence that they delved into her character in DOFP and probably the next one too

What are you asking me?

Watch X-Men (2000) again.  If you didn't see Rebecca Romijn's name in the credits, how would you know its her?

It the other 2 films, she is used a lot more and has a scene with her real face.  In the original she's like the 4th villain that doesn't have a lot of scenes.

8 minutes ago, Stefancos said:

I can see it's Romijn in blue make up just as I can see its Jennifer Lawrence in blue make up.

I think the make-up used for Lawrence reveals her face much more than the make-up used on Romijn in the original film.  Even in the sequels they were smart to not hide their model's face as much.

9 minutes ago, Alexcremers said:

Romijn might not have done those acrobatic stunts herself but she had that special presence, elegance and appearance. Those elements made up the character.

Agreed.  Lawrence, who I don't have any issue with, isn't right for the role.  The character basically became Jennifer Lawrence.

2 hours ago, Stefancos said:

Didnt they shoot a scene in the first film with Romijn without the make-up and cut it? I think it might have actually been used for X2.

She is in X2 without the makeup.

Anyway, it's strange to watch this trailer that looks much closer to what X-Men comic books would have been like. It's a far cry from the 2000 film, to be sure.

Karol

Romjin's Mystique was one with far more personality and distinctiveness than Lawrence's phoned-in take, even with the little screen-time she's given. Any time her character appears, you're basically on edge, and a lot of that credit goes to what Steef and Alex described above.

23 hours ago, Stefancos said:

She was a far better Mystique!

No.

Rebecca is a terrible actress who strictly gets by on her looks.

Yes and I stand by my comment. She is a look not a presence. Mrs. O'Connell is a bad actress.

2 hours ago, Joey said:

No.

Rebecca is a terrible actress who strictly gets by on her looks.

Nope. It's more than that. See, Lawrence has looks too but her Mystique is a disappointment for all the reasons we have mentioned.

• 2 weeks later...

Review: X-MEN: APOCALYPSE is easily one of the worst films of the franchise

Wow!

BTW, this part:

Jennifer Lawrence’s role is especially odd, as Mystique is given a new “underground hero” nature that comes more as a consequence of needing to make better headlining use of the former The Hunger Games star rather than anything that’s a natural outgrowth of her actions in Days of Future Past. These two focal points aren’t particularly well served by the performances that inhabit them.

Is exactly what I predicted would happen

The only SInger X-Men movie I've liked has been X2.  The previews for this have not looked interesting to me, but we'll see.

(I loved X2, First Class, and The Wolverine, but the other movies in this series haven't really been for me in general)

Someone I know who's seen it really enjoyed it and they didn't like DoFP. Said it was very faithful to the comics and the trailers weren't a representation of what the film is like.

I dunno, can hardly be worse than the snooze fest that was Civil War.

The tone of many of those reviews is its not a bad movie but that it's not up to Days of Future Past quality. And to many of us that was a fabulous film. My favorite of all  Marvel super hero films from any studio.