Silvestri writing new Back To The Future music

Jay

“Back to the Future” will race across the big screen just in time for the comic adventure’s 30th anniversary.
Unlike some other anniversary celebrations, there’s a twist: The picture that made DeLoreans cool, popularized the concept of flux capacitors and made incestuous attraction improbably hilarious will be shown with a live orchestra playing the soundtrack. The original Alan Silvestri score has been edited out, so musicians in major concert halls and performance venues can play in synch with the on-screen action.
The presentation comes courtesy of IMG Artists and the Gorfaine/Schwartz Agency, which have previously given the live orchestra treatment to such films as “West Side Story,” “Star Trek” and “Home Alone.” The world premiere will be given by the 21st Century Orchestra in Lucerne, Switzerland, in late May and other venues are expected to book the film, a spokesman for the Gorfaine/Schwartz Agency said.
Silvestri is preparing 15 minutes of new score exclusively for these special presentations.

It’s not the only musically charged retrospective for the 1985 box office smash. Silvestri, the screenwriting duo of Robert Zemeckis and Jamie Lloyd, director Bob Gale and songwriter Glen Ballard are teaming up on a musical based on “Back to the Future” that is slated to hit the London stage.

(Bolding is mine)

http://variety.com/2014/film/news/back-to-the-future-30th-anniversary-orchestra-1201335546/

That's awesome!

Just as exciting is the bit in the following paragraph that you didn't highlight -- a new BTTF musical penned by Silvestri & co.!

It would be even more awesome if one of the performances would be recorded and used as an extra audio track on a future release as with the E.T. live performance, but I don't really see that happening, unfortunately.

On 10/21/2014 at 3:23 PM, Thor said:

Just as exciting is the bit in the following paragraph that you didn't highlight -- a new BTTF musical penned by Silvestri & co.!

That's very old news. Just look at the references

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Back_to_the_Future_(musical)

So this isn't just a live performance in one place by Silvestri, then? This'll be available in different venues? I'd dearly love to see a live sync (something I've missed to this point).

The picture that made DeLoreans cool, popularized the concept of flux capacitors and made incestuous attraction improbably hilarious will be shown with a live orchestra playing the soundtrack. The original Alan Silvestri score has been edited out, so musicians in major concert halls and performance venues can play in synch with the on-screen action.

What an orgasmic experience that would be.

Silvestri is preparing 15 minutes of new score exclusively for these special presentations.

I wonder if those 15 minutes will be included in the film, or used as an some kind of before-screening overture. Probably the latter.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

And this will be played live to the film also in Luzern on 30th and 31st of May 2015!!! David Newman conducting.

How do you get up to 88 mph in a theater. . . ?

• 3 months later...

More, as in "I didn't notice any new music, because I was too thrilled by the whole event"?

Well, obviously the KKL in Lucerne is a beautiful building with a top-notch concert hall, so the sound was fantastic. The orchestra's performance was pretty much perfect as well, as far as my layman's ears can judge. Silvestri was there as well, although only getting on stage after the concert. I was hoping he would conduct a closing suite or something, but at least he gave autographs to everyone who lined up after the concert (got my programme signed). They also had a DeLorean on display (unfortunately I forgot my camera in the hotel). Luckily though they displayed it the day before in front of a hotel in Lucerne as well, where I took some photos (http://imgur.com/a/TacJ7#0).

There's quite a lot of 'new' music, including some material from parts two and three. The Luzern concerts were fantastic - the 21st Century just keep getting better and better. David Newman was no slouch in the conducting department either!

• 4 weeks later...

I went to the evening performance of this at the Royal Albert Hall today and agree that it was fantastic. I had not seen the film in a theatre since my Dad took me to see it at the cinema in 1986, so it was all very nostalgic for me.

The new music was not at all jarring and made some nice references to the other scores in places. For example, early in the film when Marty's parents are talking about how they met, Silvestri reworks the love theme from Back to the Future III to score the conversation. I was enjoying the film so much that I did not spot all the scenes that had new music, but for example Doc Brown's demonstration with the scale model and flaming toy car was scored, as was the very beginning of the movie.

The audience in London loved it, laughing, clapping and cheering in all the right places such as when George punches Biff, when George kisses Lorraine (the Earth Angel segue to full orchestra was done perfectly) and at other now famous scenes and lines of dialogue. There was an intermission after the skateboard chase, the orchestra playing a sort of Entr'acte consisting of the famous western music from the third movie before the second half of the film started. To see and hear the whole clocktower sequence played live was a real thrill, the audience breaking out into spontaneous applause when it was over.

It was the first time I had heard the 21st Century Orchestra and they were indeed excellent. I have no worries at all about them tackling Raiders of the Lost Ark at the same venue next year.

Thanks for the report, Damien! :)

FYI, this was performed this week at the Hollywood Bowl (with David Newman conducting the LA Phil) - the fact that it hasn't been mentioned on this board is no longer a surprise - Here's some related interviews, reviews, photos and videos:

PRE-CONCERT INTERVIEWS

CONCERT REVIEWS

VIDEOS

Bob Gale's introduction feat. Christopher Lloyd, Lea Thompson etc, and Newman conducting the BTTF Theme (starts at 2:30)

'85 Twins Pine Mall

Skateboard Chase

The Clock Tower Scene

Some excerpts including the final minutes (with Silvestri's music replacing the "Back in Time" song)

The same arrangement with the full end credits, at the Royal Albert Hall:

PHOTOS

Alan Silvestri and David Newman

107873-full.jpg

back-to-the-future-hollywood-bowl_articl

Christopher Lloyd, Lea Thompson, Donald Fullilove and Claudia Wells:

AP_back_future_reunion_jef_150701_4x3_99

Bob Gale, who co-wrote and co-produced Back to the Future, hinted there'd be a flurry of anniversary activity around Oct. 21, 2015, the date to which Marty is sent in Back to the Future Part II.
"October is going to be a great month if you're a Back to the Future fan," Gale said.

Was there any interesting new music that wasn't an adaptation from the previous scores?

I think the statement of the main theme for the title logo was new (not the same as the unused CD version).

• 2 months later...

So this went completely under the radar, but the New Jersey Symphony is doing this at Radio City with David Newman this October...like 3 weeks from now!

Lots of orchestras are performing BTTF live in concert since last Spring :). Here's the full schedule:

http://filmconcertslive.com/movies/back-to-the-future/

post-3-0-97696000-1442833205.jpg

post-3-0-51755200-1442833273.jpg

post-3-0-75500800-1442833282.jpg

• 6 months later...
  • 2 years later...

Some USA bookings for BTTF-L2P:

San Antonio, TX May 3rd and 4th 2019

San Diego, CA July 20, 2019 (Click on "Special Concerts" Menu)

As usual, Film Concerts Live did a f***'d-up job in keeping on top of updating their concert-booking postings.

http://filmconcertslive.com/movies/back-to-the-future/

• 1 month later...
On ‎2‎/‎23‎/‎2019 at 8:35 PM, SyncMan said:

Some USA bookings for BTTF-L2P:

San Antonio, TX May 3rd and 4th 2019

This concert from The San Antonio Symphony Orchestra has been cancelled since March. I found out about it this morning.  As you'll discover from the link above, there is no information or images on that page...not even a notice that the event was cancelled. 

I spoke with someone from the orchestra's Marketing department and he said that during the latter half of March,  they have sent e-mail notices about the cancellation to the patrons that purchased tickets for this concert.  I purchased mine back in February, but I never received an e-mail notice, however I did get a refund.

Is this the same with any of you that bought tickets to this concert--no email notice?

Just back from this at the Royal Festival Hall. My first live film music experience not in the Royal Albert Hall. Much more intimate (smaller) venue. Also, no subtitles for once which seems better to me. Generally great performance although I think I noticed someone playing a bar ahead or something at one stage. The new music was certainly appreciated (and needed really) but it stood out in a film seen a billion times before. Nice bit of music before the start and after the intermission (bttf 3!), and also great that they omitted the song at the end and went for a beefed up end credits. Was a bit torn on whether to go to this but it was well worth it and thoroughly enjoyable seeing one of my childhood favourites (film and score) with a live orchestra.

20190413_134626.jpg

I still think BTTF doesn't need any new music. Not saying it could never work, but it's not a necessity. Such projects are yet more proof that the organisers don't give a damn about the music, it's only about the money. The clips I've heard on YouTube all sound off, I don't want music when Marty turns up in Twine Pines Mall.

Twin Pines Mall, not Twine Pines.  After he runs over one in the past, it becomes the Lone Pine Mall.

3 minutes ago, xWxzek said:

You just corrected the spelling of a blind non-native English speaker. How's that make you feel? Do you feel proud? 

Using the wrong name of a place is not the same thing as correcting spelling.  But you know that.

Twine is a misspelled Twin that just happens to be a legitimate word in its own right. 

Twinr or Twiin or Twinn would have gotten a free pass. 

When you see Tintin, which hand it gets the OCD anxiety shakes first, the right or the left? For me, it's the left. 

Holy fuck, Captain OCD actually built in an autocorrect to turn Tin_Tin into Tintin. You're insane. But you know that. 

28 minutes ago, xWxzek said:

You just corrected the spelling of a blind non-native English speaker. How's that make you feel? Do you feel proud? 

Not this again, please. It was just a typo, and I can read just like everybody else...