So, Rhino just re-issued the Towering Inferno LP....

Jay

Who's to say Rhino doesn't have a physical CD forthcoming as well, that just hasn't been announced yet?

Who's to say Rhino doesn't have a physical CD forthcoming as well, that just hasn't been announced yet?

That could be the case. I just don't think we have to give up hope for an expansion, even in the near future.

I just found what I guess is considered the official announcement of this at Rhino's official site

http://www.rhino.com/article/digital-roundup-10292014

Funny how they only link to iTunes and not Amazon, Google Play, qobuz, etc.

They even mention the FSM release in the blurb

No, I genuinely thought it was cool. I was just expressing myself by making an admittedly terrible pun featuring an accomplished but not necessarily household name director. Clearly a misfire, but one made with only good intentions, I assure you. :)

...even better would be to have JW's autograph on it...like my copy does.

k2ipnpd.jpg

What a fun post. Explanation, please.

Can I help it if I have JW's name on a copy of "TTI"? Is a bird showing-off, when it flies? I wasn't born to score touchdowns.

You'll have to forgive my skepticism, but can you produce a picture of said signed copy of TTI?

I appreciate your scepticism, mnac, but since everyone on JWfan knows that I am an old coot who barely knows how to use a computer, for the moment, you'll just have to take my word for it. Sorry. I can tell you, however, that I got it at his concert at The Barbican with the LSO on 4th July, 1998, which happened to be his last public appearence in the U.K.

I'll try to post it, though. Damn you, sir, I will try!

I appreciate your scepticism, mnac, but since everyone on JWfan knows that I am an old coot who barely knows how to use a computer, for the moment, you'll just have to take my word for it. Sorry. I can tell you, however, that I got it at his concert at The Barbican with the LSO on 4th July, 1998, which happened to be his last public appearence in the U.K.

It's all right. Take all the time you need.

Really this is just a teaser for how good a specialty label release overseen by Matessino and Neil would sound, if the powers that be ever let that happen

Some of the percussions sound more vibrant and clear on this release (like the xylophone), but the strings sound better on the FSM .I guess it's just the mix that's different

Anyways the distortion is there so it doesn't sound like it was re-mastered from the album masters

I bought it.

Comparing with the bootleg version, it has more background noise, and that's a good news. Old vinyl restorations were far too much aggressive on the background noise and the recordings lost of their brightness.

Bad news it that there is a little default in the left channel at the very beginning of track 1 (maybe present on the original LP, has to be confirmed). This default is not present on the bootleg or maybe it was digitally corrected (that's pretty easy to do).

This has surpassed the FSM CD and vinyl transfers for me. While I enjoy the complete score, I think the album is perfect and this is the best it's ever sounded, whether you're satisfied with the release or not. I honestly listened to the Main Title on repeat all day and it's never sounded better to my ears. I'll go as far as to say this is my favorite Williams release in years. Hey, it's music I actually wanted.

It's all right. Take all the time you need.

(adopts gravelly, Satchmo-like voice) #We have all the time in the world# :lol:

I had remembered being somewhat indifferent to Towering Inferno in the past, although I didn't remember why. When the album started, I was delighted. First track is great. Then the rest of the album played and I was...less thrilled. Too much pop scoring, not enough big orchestra. Just not my genre. But about half the score, I just love.

It's actually the greatest opening track for a John Williams album.

The main theme is synonymous with 'anticipation' and/or 'liveliness'.

I had remembered being somewhat indifferent to Towering Inferno in the past, although I didn't remember why. When the album started, I was delighted. First track is great. Then the rest of the album played and I was...less thrilled. Too much pop scoring, not enough big orchestra. Just not my genre. But about half the score, I just love.

The only downer is "We have never loved like this before ..."

There's also a great moment in the opening scene of the film itself where a smiling Paul Newman first sees the tower (which the new World Trade Center weirdly resembles?) and Williams musically captures and inspires the exact reaction.

There's also a great moment in the opening scene of the film itself where a smiling Paul Newman first sees the tower (which the new World Trade Center weirdly resembles?) and Williams musically captures and inspires the exact reaction.

But then after that bit of energetic greatness there us an awful lot of actual elevator muzak in the score itself. ;)

• 2 weeks later...

No it does not resemble One World Trade Center. But John's music is fantastic. Wish I could give it a listen but my aye pod is nearly dead. Time to recharge.

• 3 years later...

Sorry to bump this thread, but did you know that a 16-bit FLAC version of the Towering Inferno can be bought at some on-line stores?

For me, it sounds like an excellent rip from a mint vinyl. Possibly, the actual best source that we can have of this OST.

It's the same quality as a CD... so bought it and put it on a CD-R ;-)

Now, it is offered in 16-bit FLAC.

That's the best source of the OST we currently have.

That's a no-brainer.

Bought it and put it on a CD-R if you love CD so much!

8 hours ago, Bespin said:

Now, it is offered in 16-bit FLAC.

That's the best source of the OST we currently have.

That's a no-brainer.

Bought it and put it on a CD-R if you love CD so much!

Where is it available in that format?

I kept putting off buying this, hoping there'd be a CD, but it's probably time to give in and buy it.

At least doing that should ENSURE a CD is announced the next day. :)