Marvel's Agent Carter

Jay

2 hours ago, Drax said:

But it needs to be broadcast over the airwaves to qualify as "television"!

Nope.

2 hours ago, Stefancos said:

Not in this day and age. Actually, not since cable TV.

Yep!

1 hour ago, Drax said:

Cable TV isn't real TV. Neither are shows that you tape from the internet.

Nope.

Drax, you're getting seriously tiring.

Agent Carter 2x06 Life of the Party

Well, I wasn't expecting Whitney Frost to just kill off half the council like that.  Though it makes sense that she'd be the ultimate season big bad and not a mysterious council.  And she killed her husband too!  That's cold!  Though maybe it will advance her acting career, or at least would if she didn't have zero matter all over her face :P

I like the continuity this show has, with Peggy actually being sidelined for (at least) an episode due to her injury, which was I guess a good enough reason to bring in Dottie to help out (you knew she'd get involved in things at some point).  She's a great  character and her scenes with Peggy are always good so that is nice.  Since Thompson captured her but then she ended up in the hands of Whitney anyway, its clear that Kurtwood Smith is working for the wrong team (Thompson I think realized this when he saw him talking to Leland Palmer later).

Was great to see Jarvis' wife again, she's a great character.  The actress plays her in an interesting mix of trusting her husband and Peggy and worrying about their safety while knowing they are saving the world, and yet somewhat skeptical of how close they are to each other.  It's good, and I hope she has more to do before the season's over.

Speaking of Peggy's love life, about the only thing I didn't like this week was her and Souza actually moving in to kiss each other (before the body dropped).  No Peggy, nooo!!  Why do shows always make every female character i nto every male character on a show?  Why can't they simply have her and the scientist guy be into each other without triangles and such?

Agent Carter 2x07 Monsters

Well I guess Peggy's rebar injury is completely over with now just last that.  Oh well.  Dottie's verbal sparring with Kurtwood Smith and Whitney was nice and loved how she finally cracked after Whitney showed off her powers.

Still hating that they are doing a Peggy / Wilkes / Souzsa love triangle.  Jarvis butting in and asking Peggy about it was awkward!  Don't we know from Captain America 2 that she marries some other dude anyway?

The mission to free Dottie was fun, I liked Stark's jitterbug device.  The twist that they were actually planning on kidnapping Wilkes was good, and man was it a bummer that Ana got shot!  I hope she's ok and they don't kill her off too; If Peggy has 3 love interests that will be too much!

Kurtwood Smith taking over the SSR was no surprise; seems to happen on all these types of stories that our heroes have to save the day without the help of their backup (see also: every mission impossible movie).  Should be good stuff coming up with Dottie on the loose, no Wilkes or Stark, and just Peggy, Jarvis, and Sousa to save the day!

I decided to check this series today (i havent seen this yet because i like to watch seasons when they are finished so i dont have to wait for the next episode to air...)... and i discovered it has not been released in Spain yet. (it seems season one is acquired and dubbed but the channel does not kow when to air it...)

And now i check this thread and it's going to be cancelled?

Damn. The story looked interesting, and i like the time-setting.

Agent Carter 2x08 The Edge of Mystery

Easily the weakest episode of the season.  Some weird stuff here, with Frost and Wilkes talking about their powers (she hears voices....) and him suddenly learning to turn him self on and off and actually siding with Frost over Peggy, and threatening her life to get what Frost wants.  Ok....

Ana surviving but being unable to have children is... an odd story choice.  Are we supposed to be invested in their future offspring?  They seem way older than the average age of people who had children back then anyway...

So Masters is totally working for Frost and even MIB-zaps Thompson to steal the uranium.  Prick!  Thompson had to know that "redacted" file was too easy to get; took him long enough to realize what was really going on!

The stuff in the desert at the end was kinda weird.  I like seeing the special effects and stuff but the whole zero matter stuff is so unexplained 8 episodes in here.  I guess we'll find out more next week....

• 2 weeks later...

Agent Carter 2x09 A Little Song and Dance

Loved the opening musical number!  That was great.  Overall though, this continued the kind of limp to the finish feel the previous episode also had.  I can't really put my finger on what it is, but something about the end of the season is just not as strong as the start.  Maybe its less fun (though the dance sequence tries to inject some!), and less spy / disguise-y, and just constant battles with Whitney and Manfredi while trying to get Red Foreman and Thompson on board.  I dunno.

Anyway, So Frost is trying to suck all the zero matter out of Wilkes and our heroes have to save him and the true motivations of Masters and Thompson kept getting revealed, blah blah.  A good moment was Carter and Jarvis in the desert.  I quite enjoyed them hashing out their differences.  He finally tells Ana she can't have kids (isn't that something the doctor would have told her directly, even in the 40s), but we don't see it (?).

The ending of the episode was so convoluted I almost stopped caring what happened.  What a strange cliffhanger to end on.  I wonder if when scripting and shooting, the final 2 episodes would air back to back.  That'd made more sense.

Well, one more to go!

Sure, and it was great to see her old roommate again, and her brother, and everything about it was fun. But it was completely random, and also was the only shining bright spot of recent episodes. Hopefully the finale is good!

Agent Carter 2x10 Hollywood Ending

A so-so finale to what ultimately was a so-so season.  It started out great, every bit as good as season 1 if not better - you had a weird murder mystery to solve, new characters and corporations, new Stark inventions, all kinds of stuff going on.  We even met Mrs Jarvis!  But then in the back half of the season, it became a bit dull.  Whitney was a really cool and interesting character at first, as was that society running things. But then when it just all became about her and zero matter and whatever she was trying to do with it and every episode was about them stopping her, it became kind of repetitive.

Sadly it wasn't building up to a cool climax for the Whitney and Zero Matter stuff, because the conclusion of that story was about as dull as the recent stuff.  Once its over, the show focused more on the characters, and I'm not sure if I liked that wrap-up either.  There was no ending to the nerdy SSR guy and Rose.  Did they get together or not?  Peggy finally has to be with Wilkes and... chooses not to?  At least Thompson finally got to respect Carter, so that was good... but then they killed him off?  Why!?  And then they have Peggy get together with Sousa, which I just didn't like at all.  She had much more chemistry with Wilkes by far, and I would have preferred her to be with a scientist than a freaking coworker.  Oh well.

I also didn't like that Red Foreman wasn't in the episode, just written off with a quick line about how he's confessing.  We should have gotten to see a final scene with him!  Stark returning is always welcome, and he was delightful here as always.  I quite liked his hover car! Finally got one to work after the one in First Avenger crashed :)

I hope the show gets renewed and if it does, I wouldn't mind if the show stayed in LA instead of NY.  Or a whole new location!

Was Thompson supposed to have been killed by HYRDRA - is that secret society and their key thingies supposed to be connected to that?

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Not surprising, but still a shame. It was a good little show about a really good character.

• 3 weeks later...

That's a nice article, that is! I really hope that they do continue.

Season 2 did not have a satisfying ending at all. And she didn't found SHIELD yet.

In other words: They're not done yet.

Also, the characters are so much fun and the period setting makes for a nice atmosphere.

So bring her back already!

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 6 months later...
  • 2 years later...
25 minutes ago, Pieter_Boelen said:

Discussed last month here