Tanglewood Film Night Aug 22, 2015 [UPDATE: Williams cancels appearance]

Foxfan

FYI the Hollywood Bowl season has just been announced and this year there's no John Williams concert programmed. David Newman is conducting his own annual Movie Night concert on Sept 6, btw.

Back to Tanglewood, on the FSM board someone says that the BSO will premiere a new Williams work on August 4 (looking for more info right now).

A new work? Colour me curious!

August 4 is the date for the annual Tanglewood On Parade concert gala (but this year Williams will not make his usual appearance). There's no program available yet. I guess the new work would be part of the commissions for the 75th anniversary of the Tanglewood Music Center, though.

Let's not jump to any conclusions about JW's state of health. At his age, it's normal if he's scaling back his conducting appearances. Also, he's at work on two new film scores that must be ready in the coming months.

Also, he'll be conducting in Boston and Tanglewood. I'm guessing TFA and/or Spielberg's flick have created some scheduling conflicts during the summer months. Although, some have speculated the Star Wars recording sessions may be as early as April, but we really don't know at this point. In any case, I'm glad the film scores get priority over a concert.

On the FSM board, Steve Vertlieb just wrote:

I've just been told by a reliable source that John will definitely appear at The Bowl this Summer, and that the dates will be announced, per usual, in March.

Looks like there's definitely nothing to worry about :)

As for the new work, we had a discussion about this last year on some thread I cannot recall. Williams mentioned in some interview that he had been asked to write a piece for a Tanglewood anniversary in 2015 and that he hoped to do it--it looks like it will happen.

Edit: here is the thread: http://www.jwfan.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=24250&hl=tanglewood

I've just been told by a reliable source that John will definitely appear at The Bowl this Summer, and that the dates will be announced, per usual, in March.

Sorry I missed this post.

Well no... I was his "reliable source" and all I told him was the Hollywood Bowl dates would be announced in March, since he was really worried about Williams' health. Bowl dates have been announced and Williams won't be there, since he obviously has some recording sessions to attend.

So we no for sure that there's no chance of Williams being there?

Well there go my plans to go to the Bowl this summer...

A friend of mine tells me that the released program might now have been the complete one.

So we no for sure that there's no chance of Williams being there?

Well there go my plans to go to the Bowl this summer...

You can go to Tanglewood instead, and meet Jason, and probably me!

Quite tempting...depends on whether my availability will favour June or August.

So you've picked Tanglewood over Boston this year?

Ahh I see. I'll have to see what I can work out. I would very much like you meet you Cosman.

Jay too of course, but I presume he'll be at both venues.

Sorry I missed this post.

Well no... I was his "reliable source" and all I told him was the Hollywood Bowl dates would be announced in March, since he was really worried about Williams' health. Bowl dates have been announced and Williams won't be there, since he obviously has some recording sessions to attend.

Just be the clear... the complete schedule will be released in March, but Williams will not be at the Hollywood Bowl? Is it confirmed he'll be doing sessions instead?

• 1 month later...

Definitely spending the night.

We haven't booked anything yet, though.

We can probably give you a ride to the concert if you need it

I'm sure he will do...

Jason, what's the policy in Tanglewood regarding taking pictures and video's? Same as in Symphony Hall?

>shrug<