Tanglewood Film Night Aug 22, 2015 [UPDATE: Williams cancels appearance]

Foxfan

In the future, I would love that even if he did not conduct the entire concert that he would still attend and conduct some of his signature pieces. I'll deal with Lockhart as long as Williams conducts at least half of the show. :D

Obviously it is early days, but we could be witnessing the end of live JW concerts. To be honest, if the only health issue affecting an 83 year old is a bad back, it means he is still in great shape for his age. I still believe that we are very lucky to have our favorite composer still producing scores well into his 80s.

Time will time, especially with the Philly concert and next year's Pops. In fact, those Boston Pops without a "Film Night with John Williams" would be a major end of an era :(

I am lucky enough to have seen him live four times (Tanglewood '05, New York '11, Boston '13, Boston '14)

Of course, I'm hoping for a complete recovery.

http://www.bso.org/Performance/Detail/69830

John Williams regretfully has had to cancel his upcoming appearances at Tanglewood for Tanglewood on Parade on August 4 and Film Night on August 22, due to a back ailment that requires him to rest and limit travel over the next few weeks. Mr. Williams is expected to recover soon and return to his conducting work in the coming weeks. BSO Music Director Andris Nelsons will lead the Boston Pops in Williams' "Throne Room and Finale" from Star Wars during Tanglewood on Parade on August 4. Boston Pops Conductor Keith Lockhart will join conductor David Newman to lead John Williams' Film Night on August 22.

Bold words done by me for emphasis.

Bah!

John Williams regretfully has had to cancel his upcoming appearances at Tanglewood for Tanglewood on Parade on August 4 and Film Night on August 22, due to a back ailment that requires him to rest and limit travel over the next few weeks. Mr. Williams is expected to recover soon and return to his conducting work in the coming weeks. BSO Music Director Andris Nelsons will lead the Boston Pops in Williams' "Throne Room and Finale" from Star Wars during Tanglewood on Parade on August 4. Boston Pops Conductor Keith Lockhart will join conductor David Newman to lead John Williams' Film Night on August 22.

The only way that news could be any more grim is if it said that Williams had taking up amateur aviation as a hobby....

Sad, but I said it. And be prepared for far less public appearances now. At 83, it's just OK to slow down a bit.

Now I feel sad about spending the entire summer of 2014 in Europe, thinking that the 2013 performances of his might be the last I attended. Thankfully I got War Horse signed! :crymore:

I'm keeping my fingers crossed for Philadelphia. That's a charity engagement so he'll probably do anything not to cancel.

I'm okay with Williams not doing public appearances so long as he continues to write music.

Even if he doesn't conduct his own concerts I would love more guest appearances. Did you guys watch Great Performances? Watching his reactions to all the praise the conductor was giving him was just so heart warming and you could tell he truly is such a humble man and truly loves what he does. Again, just having him conduct a few of his signature pieces at a concert would be absolutely wonderful. Of course I'm being completely selfish and his health is so much more important, but seeing him perform live in concert is just such an incredible experience I'd hate to see that end.

Now I feel sad about spending the entire summer of 2014 in Europe, thinking that the 2013 performances of his might be the last I attended. Thankfully I got War Horse signed! :crymore:

Never feel bad about spending time in Europe!

The cradle of true civilization.

The only thing that seems off is that they said the exact same thing back in May for Boston Film Night. It's been months, not weeks. Anyway, I'm glad I didn't end up going to this because I was really close to finalizing the trip and everything, but decided to take the time off from work to relax at home.

Feel bad for those that invested in this, I know how it feels!

Maybe the back thing is an excuse? Not to say there aren't back issues, but maybe he just doesn't want to travel back and forth like that in the middle of his work on TFA. At his age, that might be a bit much.

If he couldn't do as many live shows, that wouldn't bother me as I live nowhere near Boston, nor any place he would make an appearance. I'd prefer him to keep writing music (and slow down). He's entitled for a break.

Glad I saw him conduct in San Diego in 2012, he seemed very energetic back then.

But it is a sensible move on his part, 5 hour flight can cause health risks and bear in mind much of his concert works are energetic and you can't conduct that stuff with minimal hand gestures... It must be exhausting. The comparison with Morricone is unfair, entirely different music. Perhaps he is focused on Star Wars, he did mention his pace of writing has slowed down somewhat.

Once you get to a certain age there are many more health risks associated with travel so I doubt we'll see him traveling much which is a shame, but realistic.

What unfortunate news! Especially to those who were travelling from Europe to see the Maestro.

Don't his back issues go back to the 80s?

Yes, I keep bringing up 1988, but it's worth mentioning again that he was out for the WHOLE of that year in terms of conducting etc. So this is nothing new. Even though he's much older now; I'm not too worried about the longterm consequences. That being said, I'm sorry for those of you who spent tons of money on travel costs (especially here from Europe).

Terrible news. Feel really bad for you Steef. But info hope the maestro recovers soon. Seems like it's been a tough year.

Goldsmith, Barry, Bernstein, Poledouris, Kamen etc all didn't reach 83...

Nor did Mancini. Though i guess not all of these gentlemen took care of themselves - Barry was a big drinker (at least in his heyday) and Goldsmith a chain-smoker and rather heavy drinker till the late 80's. So in today's climate they might have stayed longer...