Star Trek is better than everything

Unlucky Bastard

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

For any fellow Voyager fans:

The actors who played Tom Paris and Harry Kim are starting a new podcast where they go through all 7 seasons called "The Delta Flyers: Journey Through Star Trek Voyager with Tom and Harry."  The first episode will come out in May.   I'm excited about this!

https://trekmovie.com/2020/04/17/garrett-wang-and-robert-duncan-mcneill-are-launching-a-star-trek-voyager-rewatch-podcast/

A quick STAR TREK VI question:

While on Rura Pente, Martia  disguises herself as both a girl, and a rather large alien, but she retains her (Martia's) voice.

Why, when she morphs into Kirk, does her voice change to that of Kirk's?

On 4/20/2020 at 10:12 AM, Disco Stu said:

For any fellow Voyager fans:

The actors who played Tom Paris and Harry Kim are starting a new podcast where they go through all 7 seasons called "The Delta Flyers: Journey Through Star Trek Voyager with Tom and Harry."  The first episode will come out in May.   I'm excited about this!

https://trekmovie.com/2020/04/17/garrett-wang-and-robert-duncan-mcneill-are-launching-a-star-trek-voyager-rewatch-podcast/

Cool, I listened to one called “The Greatest Generation,” it was great!

On 4/20/2020 at 4:45 PM, Naïve Old Fart said:

A quick STAR TREK VI question:

While on Rura Pente, Martia  disguises herself as both a girl, and a rather large alien, but she retains her (Martia's) voice.

Why, when she morphs into Kirk, does her voice change to that of Kirk's?

Since she can change her appearance at will, it stands to reason she can control her voice mimicry as well. What good is shapeshifting if you cannot change your voice? 

She uses her Martia voice while pretending to be the large alien brute to show our heroes that it's her. But she uses Kirk's voice to complete the ruse because she is legitimately trying to fool our heroes and escape.  I still don't understand how they know to shoot the imposter. 

3 hours ago, Naïve Old Fart said:

Yes, Justin, but why? How did the Klingon know which Kirk to shoot?

I read up on this after I posted. There are a few theories. 

One is that Martia kept her yellow eyes as Kirk. That's an iffy explanation because the footage is not clear enough to see if one Shatner was wearing yellow contacts. 

Another is because Martia removed her shackles when she shrunk down to a child size. This was well before the fight with the real Kirk, who was still wearing his shackles. We see the difference when he knocks her back before she changed, and then a few times during the fight in overhead shots. The idea would be that the Klingon commandant would know that a human could not escape shackles, but a shapeshifter could. This theory is weak because Nick Meyer did not pull the camera back far enough for us to see that the commandant could also see the lack of shackles before vaporizing her. The shot was just waist up.

The most solid theory is that since the the shapeshifter (in her Martia form) is "naturally" shorter than Kirk, she points "up" at him when telling the commandant to shoot. Kirk, instead, points straight across. 

Honorable mentions: Klingons are supposed to have an extremely keen sense of smell (Birthright, Pt 2). This theory is weak because S4 of DS9 shows how easily better shapeshifters can easily fool the entire Klingon hierarchy for months. 

Last theory: The commandant was going to kill both of them anyways and just shot one first. 

1 hour ago, woj said:

Honorable mentions: Klingons are supposed to have an extremely keen sense of smell (Birthright, Pt 2). This theory is weak because S4 of DS9 shows how easily better shapeshifters can easily fool the entire Klingon hierarchy for months. 

They were either skilled Shapeshifters with the ability to disguise their scent, or it's inconsistent writing between series due to convenience. The latter seems more likely.

AS all the TV series of Star Trek are available for me on Netflix and my streaming service, I've decided to start a "Star Trek Fest" few days ago.

I made some researches on the web and picked these "classic" episodes, any comments?

I've sarted with The Original Series:

TOS: "Tomorrow is Yesterday"
TOS: "The City on the Edge of Forever"
TOS: "Errand of Mercy"
TOS: "The Trouble with Tribbles"

Interview: Rebecca Romijn Says Number One “Knows Her Sh*t ...

Then Enterprise:

ENT: Broken Bow (part I & II)
ENT: Regeneration

Leading the charge in this new ' sexy’ Star Trek is T'Pol ...Minor Abrasions

Now I'm into The Next Generation:

TNG: "A Matter Of Honor" Episode 2x8 (saw)
TNG: "Q Who" Episode 2x16 (saw
TNG: "Yesterday's Enterprise"  Episode 3x15 (saw)
TNG: "Sins of the Father" Episode 3x17 (saw)

Still to watch:

TNG: "The Best of Both Worlds" Episode 3x26
TNG: "The Best of Both Worlds, Part II" Episode 4x01
TNG: "Redemption" Episode 4x26
TNG: "Redemption II" Episode 5x01

TNG: "Cause and Effect" Episode 5x18
TNG: "I Borg" Episode 5x23
TNG: "Time's Arrow" Episode 5x26
TNG: "Time's Arrow, Part II" Episode 6x01

TNG: "Descent" Episode 6x26
TNG: "Descent, Part II" Episode 7x01
TNG: "All Good Things..." (feature-length) Episode 7x25/26

Star Trek Funny Photos | Funny Collection World

We watched Star Treks II and III back to back last night. III gets a little bad rep as being an odd movie so it must suck, but it does not. It is an excellent companion to II, a love letter to Spock, and I think its ending is more emotionally poignant than the ending of II. I don't think IV is streaming at the moment. 

I'm really starting to hate Vudu. It logs itself out my TV every few weeks. And of course I don't have a USB keyboard, and my password is always hard to remember. 

But I don't need to buy digital copies of movies. That's old hat. I can simply stream them using established streaming accounts and record them overnight using the PlayOn software, which I purchased last year. Then I stream them from my home network. 

On 4/26/2020 at 4:57 AM, Bespin said:

AS all the TV series of Star Trek are available for me on Netflix and my streaming service, I've decided to start a "Star Trek Fest" few days ago.

I made some researches on the web and picked these "classic" episodes, any comments?

I've sarted with The Original Series:

Interview: Rebecca Romijn Says Number One “Knows Her Sh*t ...

Then Enterprise:

ENT: Broken Bow (part I & II)
ENT: Regeneration

Leading the charge in this new ' sexy’ Star Trek is T'Pol ...Minor Abrasions

Now I'm into The Next Generation:

TNG: "A Matter Of Honor" Episode 2x8 (saw)
TNG: "Q Who" Episode 2x16 (saw
TNG: "Yesterday's Enterprise"  Episode 3x15 (saw)
TNG: "Sins of the Father" Episode 3x17 (saw)

Still to watch:

TNG: "The Best of Both Worlds" Episode 3x26
TNG: "The Best of Both Worlds, Part II" Episode 4x01
TNG: "Redemption" Episode 4x26
TNG: "Redemption II" Episode 5x01

TNG: "Cause and Effect" Episode 5x18
TNG: "I Borg" Episode 5x23
TNG: "Time's Arrow" Episode 5x26
TNG: "Time's Arrow, Part II" Episode 6x01

TNG: "Descent" Episode 6x26
TNG: "Descent, Part II" Episode 7x01

TNG: "All Good Things..." (feature-length) Episode 7x25/26

Star Trek Funny Photos | Funny Collection World

I'd stay away from those, and would be iffy on Redemption, too.

Oh hush. Redemption is great.  I can't explain why without spoiling it for Bespin, but I do like the Klingon episodes of TNG. 

If you don't like Whoopi, you won't like Time's Arrow. Jerry Hardin (still alive at 90)is a campy delight. 

And Descent is also entertaining, if you like the B and L. 

4 hours ago, woj said:

Oh hush. Redemption is great.  I can't explain why without spoiling it for Bespin, but I do like the Klingon episodes of TNG. 

If you don't like Whoopi, you won't like Time's Arrow. Jerry Hardin (still alive at 90)is a campy delight. 

And Descent is also entertaining, if you like the B and L. 

Redemption is cool, I just don't know how it'll play to a newcomer.

I like Guinan, but Time's Arrow is pretty goofy.

Descent is just weird.

36 minutes ago, Gruesome Son of a Bitch said:

Descent is the one where Picard has everyone transport to the planet and leaves Beverly in charge of the ship...

Proving that Beverly is a better driver than Troi. 

Bespin is gay. He should watch the episode The Outcast.

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/26/2020 at 6:57 AM, Bespin said:

For your next four TOS outings, I recommend these—all with memorable and well-paced scripts, gorgeous cinematography, and committed performances:

TOS: "The Naked Time"

TOS: "Balance of Terror"

TOS: "The Conscience of the King"

TOS: "Mirror, Mirror"

There are so many great ones, but I think those four are easily some of the most memorable. "Friday's Child" is also a personal favorite.

I thought the pilot episodes of The Delta Flyers were really good.  Harry Kim is a natural, gregarious host and Paris brings an affable energy.  Some pretty good anecdotes too!

1 hour ago, Pellaeon said:

For your next four TOS outings, I recommend these—all with memorable and well-paced scripts, gorgeous cinematography, and committed performances:

TOS: "The Naked Time"

TOS: "Balance of Terror"

TOS: "The Conscience of the King"

TOS: "Mirror, Mirror"

There are so many great ones, but I think those four are easily some of the most memorable. "Friday's Child" is also a personal favorite.

I dislike Friday's child . But there are some better than the other Time and King, though I like them. 

I love Doomsday Machine, A Piece of the Action, Immunity Syndrrome,  the Enterprise Incident. 

Star Trek is still the best if all the series

Star Trek: Strange New Worlds coming to CBS All Access. The series will focus on the USS Enterprise under Captain Pike and has Anson Mount, Ethan Peck and Rebecca Romijin reprising their roles from Discovery.

https://www.cbs.com/shows/star-trek-discovery/news/1009825/star-trek-strange-new-worlds-to-follow-captain-pike-spock-and-number-one-on-the-u-s-s-enterprise/