Star Trek is better than everything

Unlucky Bastard

On 5/16/2020 at 6:31 AM, woj said:

Star Trek Picard is depressing AF. 

It's a weird goddamn show. I still stand by all the positive things I've said about it...but as a whole, it's better to pretend it doesn't exist, if just to avoid diluting the universe of Star Trek.

I'm normally not a fan of rebooting "problematic" continuity, but please, someone come along and use that Picard disease as a seed of creating a series where this show is just an alternate future and just start over.

On 5/15/2020 at 9:56 AM, Giftheck said:

Star Trek: Strange New Worlds coming to CBS All Access. The series will focus on the USS Enterprise under Captain Pike and has Anson Mount, Ethan Peck and Rebecca Romijin reprising their roles from Discovery.

https://www.cbs.com/shows/star-trek-discovery/news/1009825/star-trek-strange-new-worlds-to-follow-captain-pike-spock-and-number-one-on-the-u-s-s-enterprise/

Why does every new Star Trek series announcement read like an apology for the last one?

Don't think I could take that guy's voice for an hour-and-a-half, but I have read something this morning that indicated a major theme of Picard is Jean-Luc being told/learning to *check his privilege*. 

Never mind him busting his balls at Starfleet Academy and working hard to rise through the ranks ... he's white, so it must be privilege that got him where he is. Jesus fucking Christ. 

Not sorry that I'm missing this at all.  

On 5/19/2020 at 11:47 AM, Sweeping Strings said:

Don't think I could take that guy's voice for an hour-and-a-half, but I have read something this morning that indicated a major theme of Picard is Jean-Luc being told/learning to *check his privilege*. 

Never mind him busting his balls at Starfleet Academy and working hard to rise through the ranks ... he's white, so it must be privilege that got him where he is. Jesus fucking Christ. 

Not sorry that I'm missing this at all.  

This is news to me.

I thought Picard was harmless fluff and was fine as something to doze off to. I watched it in fragments late at night, it took me a while to see it all. The plotting/logic was bullshit (towards the end especially), but even then it was nowhere near as horrific as anything in Discovery. I'll probably tune in for S2.

Somebody wrote words I don't agree with, therefore I must acquiese and automatically hate Picard! :angry::angry::angry:

Spoiler

That was sarcasm, in case you couldn't tell. My opinion on Picard remains unchanged.

It was just depressing and dark. I stuck it out to see if it was going to get better, but eventually the novelty of Patrick Stewart being in it wore thin and we were left with a bunch of crappy characters, a stupid storyline dragged out for the entire season and a really bad ending.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I'm an old school ST fan (OT is best, was in high school/college during TNG) so prefer the Roddenberry version rather than the Rick Berman or JJ Abrams ST.  Anyway, I don't have access to Picard, is it worth seeing if I'm an old school ST guy or not worth it for someone like me?  I'm a little confused about these newer series that aren't on TV but rather some subscription service which I still don't have. 

On 7/4/2020 at 10:33 PM, Edmilson said:

I'm not aware STID succeeded. It was an overblown, bloated, absolutely nonsensical movie, whose only asset was the only thing JJ Abrams is capable of: being a lazily disguised copy of an old movie that gets some ruckus out of people because of nostalgia, and because it's "updated" with the latest thematic requirements in Hollywood, appealing to the lowest common denominatior. 

In other words, it's just like Rise Of Skywalker, only with less aggressive politics and worse music. 

On 7/5/2020 at 5:23 PM, karelm said:

I'm an old school ST fan (OT is best, was in high school/college during TNG) so prefer the Roddenberry version rather than the Rick Berman or JJ Abrams ST.  Anyway, I don't have access to Picard, is it worth seeing if I'm an old school ST guy or not worth it for someone like me?  I'm a little confused about these newer series that aren't on TV but rather some subscription service which I still don't have. 

If you want that old school Roddenberry vibe, let me say a "Hell", and a "no". 

Unless that preference wraps around to the point where you're distant enough from what Star Trek has been that you don't really care. Then again, even on its terms Picard isn't all that hot.

It's better than Voyager. 

We're watching it now, midway through S2. I thought that I had watched it all, but it turns out I forgot a lot. It works well binging in order, better than watching it in random order. 

The digital effects were so well done and the 16:9 ratio future-proofed it. Watching it in 2020 in HD, it feels completely different than the abysmal modern Trek and closer to the shows of the era, but has this weird effect of feeling digitally remastered and enhanced, but that's just the way it was made.

The characters also have a natural quality that feels detached from the Treknobabble of the 90s shows and more modern, but not retarded Millennial speak as in Discovery or Picard.

The male cast members also tend to wear their hair like Seinfeld's bad haircut.

I think the aesthetics of Enterprise were a little generic; maybe they could have taken more inspiration from Forbidden Planet.

Forbidden-Planet-009.jpg

The standout character is obviously…

inamirrordarkly2_652.jpg

Best female lead in all of ST, as far as I am concerned. Maybe I should watch some more.

The NX-01 has it charms and at least it doesn't look like an Apple ship or dark and disturbing. 

The ships on Picard looked like Alien and everyone was smoking and dropping F Bombs.

I don't really get why Discovery and Picard have felt the need to go down the strong language, gore etc route just because they're on streaming services as opposed to networks. Feels against the overall Trek 'spirit', somehow.

3 hours ago, Sweeping Strings said:

I don't really get why Discovery and Picard have felt the need to go down the strong language, gore etc route just because they're on streaming services as opposed to networks. Feels against the overall Trek 'spirit', somehow.

Same reason Voyager brought in and then did everything to show off a character with enormous breasts--it is smoke and mirrors to distract from mediocre story-telling.  

3 hours ago, Sweeping Strings said:

It seems to me, in TOS, they tried to show us as awesome a future as they could imagine. They tackled modern-day issues as it were by contrast, showing how those problems could be overcome. This is still more-or-less the case in TNG, but gradually, the franchise has flipped this formula, and just depicts a future with all of today’s problems still present — violence, inequality, bigotry, substance abuse, Fox News!! A lazy way of staying relevant.

5 minutes ago, Pellaeon said:

It seems to me, in TOS, they tried to show us as awesome a future as they could imagine. They tackled modern-day issues as it were by contrast, showing how those problems could be overcome. This is still more-or-less the case in TNG, but gradually, the franchise has flipped this formula, and just depicts a future with all of today’s problems still present — violence, inequality, bigotry, substance abuse, Fox News!! A lazy way of staying relevant.

Huh.  That's a really perceptive take on the franchise!

6 hours ago, Tom said:

Same reason Voyager brought in and then did everything to show off a character with enormous breasts--it is smoke and mirrors to distract from mediocre story-telling.  

I completely agree that was the original intent... but ironically that character ended up being the best written, best acted, and most compelling of the series, somehow. Well...along with Robert Picardo’s.

Yavar

20 hours ago, Tom said:

So not all bad, then :lol:

On 4/10/2019 at 3:07 PM, Jurassic Shark said:

I preferred Babylon 5.

Here is what it could look like if they simply re-run the old models with today's technology:

On 7/8/2020 at 8:51 PM, Sweeping Strings said:

That's simple to answer, those shows were made by people who:

1.) Didn't care for Star Trek and its respective messages and ideology in any way or shape, but had a nostalgic view of the franchise. 

2.) Had to conform to today's modern TV tropes, unnecessary swearing, and 'action over story' mentality.

In the case of Picard, there was a cross-contamination of the poor writing from Discovery leading to the heart of the franchise and the shows feeling somewhat misplaced and unfocused. I had an argument with my brother over why I love TNG over Discovery and Picard, with his retort being that I '...Just liked people standing around looking at computers and talking'. At it's core TNG was just that - the crew working together to find solutions to whatever predicament they were in. Now we need unnecessary action scenes which feel like they don't mesh with the core values of the show, problems solved through deus ex machina convoluted technobabble.

If you live in a western society, and believe "inequality" is the reason you don't accomplish what you want, you need to go seek professional help to realize your own victim complex is keeping you from seeing that life has the meaning you give to it.