Star Trek is better than everything

Unlucky Bastard

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Star Trek Day announcements: Discovery Season 3 trailer. Lower Decks will have an episode in which Q appears. There was only a small amount said about that.

In the panel, Kurtzman said the burn is a “cataclysmic” external event that hits the Federation when its at its strongest, and Paradise said that the first episodes unfold as a mystery, as Burnham and the Discovery crew try to figure out what happened to the Federation. When they do, Paradise said, “we’ll find that it’s still in existence, [but] much diminished from what it once was.”

https://variety.com/2020/tv/news/star-trek-day-discovery-trailer-1234762231/

• 2 weeks later...

I thought Picard was passable fluff. At least, I preferred it to the intolerable Discovery, although f-bomb cringe is a blight they both share. But at least Picard had Sir Patrick going for it. Discovery has that overly dramatic watery eyed try-hard Michaels. 

At least Picard was good for falling asleep to last thing at night. 

49 minutes ago, bruce marshall said:

TNG sucked EXCEPT for the Borg eps.

VOYAGER was a bore.

Having just finished my first full viewing of TNG, there's a great deal more to it than the Borg episodes - and some of those are quite silly (Lore reprogramming some Borg who were separated from the Collective).

Anyway, here's some things I took note of after watching TNG:

- While Wesley Crusher is a fan favourite to hate on, I thought his character grew in places but the ending of his arc was completely botched. Instead of simply having him drop out of Starfleet to start his own life as a 24th Century Elon Musk, they inflated his ego bu making him a 'chosen one' to travel on different planes of existence with The Traveler. GTFO.

- In Sub Rosa, the episode where Beverly fucks an alien ghost, they ignore the Prime Directive and instead of electing to help it find a new planet to survive, they shoot it with a phaser??!! What the fuck?! Upon further investigation I found this episode was ranked among many 'Worst Episode' lists. 

- I love Picard, Data, and Worf's character development throughout all of the 7 seasons - seeing Picard slowly open up made some mundane episodes great. It's also a shame some of that development was crammed into the last 2/3 seasons.

- Working together to solve problems=TNG. I love how each member of the main crew is given a problem and through a chain of problem-solving, testing hypotheses and being put in demanding situations they are able to save the day. Discovery by comparison sadly lacks this major component of what I believe makes Star Trek what it is.

- Ensign Ro was the sexiest character in both her roles on the show and I think it's a shame she didn't want to return for DS9. Her last episode was a surprisingly good send-off and cemented some of my feelings about Starfleet and the Federation as assholes, especially in s6 and 7. With her addition to the crew they were able to establish the Bajorans and Cardassians, fleshing out the world bit by bit beyond simple border disputes.

- Riker is an On Again/Off Again asshole. Sometimes he can be understanding, empathetic, emotional. Other times he's got a stick up his ass that makes no sense in certain situations. Whilst I liked the idea of his clone in one episode, I couldn't decide who was worse.

- What's up with Troi's accent? No other relation of hers has the same weird accent...

- There's a great mystery episode in one of the later seasons where humans, Klingons, Cardassians (and Romulans I think) work together to solve an ancient mystery locked away in human DNA. The mystery was great up until the ending where instead of teasing a greater and still yet unanswered mystery, they just explain it away like they ran out of time. 

Which brings me to one of my greatest problems with the show: Deus Ex Machina and too little, too late. Interesting stories that go nowhere, or are wrapped up with no further questions. Urgh! 

There's more stuff I've jotted down somewhere, I just can't be bothered to find it.

14 minutes ago, Quintus said:

I thought Picard was passable fluff. At least, I preferred it to the intolerable Discovery, although f-bomb cringe is a blight they both share. But at least Picard had Sir Patrick going for it. Discovery has that overly dramatic watery eyed try-hard Michaels. 

At least Picard was good for falling asleep to last thing at night. 

Picard feels like today's ethics and values transplanted into the world of Trek and the two don't mesh and instead comes across as an obvious appeal to modern audiences. Despite TNG being written in the late eighties/early nineties I never got the impression the characters or messages were of that particular time and I think that's what Roddenberry wanted.

I don't have an issue with swearing, but it was incredibly off-putting and out of place.

There are certainly dated or at least somewhat stupid elements of TNG such as the shrink on the bridge in an aerobics outfit that isn't even consistent with the rest of the crew. There's an episode where she has command and doesn't even know what to do. She should never have been a senior officer or wearing an 80s aerobics outfit, probably. Picard was a smart guy and I know he wanted to use her to sense people's emotions, but a senior adviser on a ship when she doesn't know anything about space travel or starship operations? That's ridiculous!

• 3 weeks later...

I have a ST:TMP question.

Kirk says "Two and a half years, at Starfleet Operations may have made me a little stale...". Scotty, however - and barely one minute before - says "We have just finished eighteen months redesigning, and refitting the Enterprise".

What happened in the intervening year?

17 minutes ago, Naïve Old Fart said:

Kirk says "Two and a half years, at Starfleet Operations may have made me a little stale...". Scotty, however - and barely one minute before - says "We have just finished eighteen months redesigning, and refitting the Enterprise".

I don't know, but I'm sure Janeway's to blame.

53 minutes ago, Nick1066 said:

And here I thought you were the one stranded in the Delta Quadrant! I was just getting used to my role as the Undisputed Nick!

On 10/11/2020 at 1:07 PM, Nick1066 said:

She's easily the worst of the major Captains of the series. She stranded her crew in the Delta Quadrant, mostly made enemies there and constantly betrayed the ethics of Starfleet.

16 minutes ago, Gruesome Son of a Bitch said:

She's easily the worst of the major Captains of the series. She stranded her crew in the Delta Quadrant, mostly made enemies there and constantly betrayed the ethics of Starfleet.

Speaking of the not worst captains:

https://wegotthiscovered.com/tv/cbs-reportedly-plans-bringback-star-trek-deep-space-nines-captain-sisko/

On 10/11/2020 at 2:48 PM, Naïve Old Fart said:

The Enterprise underwent structural integrity testing, while fuels and consumables were purged. This testing gave additional insight as to exactly what bulkheads were showing the greatest wear. My guess is the E was due for a one-year haulout after its 5-year cruise anyway, plus it was the class ship for the new uprated design, so the idea that it underwent additional testing and structural repairwork before the formal 18-month refit process began makes sense to me. So Scotty spends that first year at some lab somewhere, designing new general warp technology or whatever, before being assigned back to the Enterprise to personally oversee its modernization.

There is a “The Lost Years” series of novels which deals with what Kirk and the gang were up to in these years, but honestly, I don’t know any way you could write about this time interval in a way which isn’t dull and lame. Other than for McCoy who, one hopes, gets back together with Natira, and apparently tries to bring back disco. Spock quits Starfleet and devotes himself to Vulcan ways, I suppose giving in to his father’s wishes after all? And Kirk is stuck behind a desk.

In my headcanon none of it ever happens. No refit, no new uniforms, Kirk doesn’t leave the E, it’s just a nice long TOS era that goes on for decades and decades of nonstop kickass five-year missions.

11 hours ago, Gruesome Son of a Bitch said:

Spoken like a true woman hater. 

She was the most likely to get her ship destroyed, but don't worry. They'll hit the reset button in the end or a crewman will travel back in time from the future to set it right and no one will have any memory of it.

I've never really been into Star Trek, but I do remember watching and quite enjoying an unusual amount of Voyager back in the 90s, on Sunday evenings, around tea time. Mainly because of convenience, Goldsmith's GOAT theme, and Janeway. She was quite a charismatic captain, and I probably low key fancied her. 

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

The phaser alarm thing that Valeris demonstrates in Star Trek VI only ever happens in that instance, although she matter-of-factly points out that you can't fire a phaser on a starship without an alarm going off. It never happens again on any starship in any time period.

19 hours ago, Fabulin said:

More grace than Chopin

That's fantastic! I could even follow the music.

Now...do Klingon Battle :lol:

There are YouTube clips of a guy who's transposed the End Titles from THE SWARM, and EXPLORERS, for piano.

• 3 weeks later...
On 1/23/2021 at 1:21 PM, Fabulin said:

Bit late to the party, but these are great, especially the more avant garde sections such as during the Klingon Battle, although I highly recommend listening to The Cloud over on their YouTube channel. The adaptations are both faithful but also surprisingly idiomatic a lot of the time (aside from the odd sustained note or chord that you might do differently). Fascinating to hear all those unusual harmonic progressions and how he voices the chords in the V'Ger sections. Listening to the Main Title of King Solomon's Mines, the build-up to the main theme is surprisingly sparse and atonal at times; you'd never guess it was from a throwaway, silly adventure film (although guess the same goes from the opening scenes from Raiders).

Possible spoilers for Lower Decks!

Not sure what the vibe is on Lower Decks, but have just binged it after it appeared on Amazon in the UK. OK, it's quite goofy, but the Star Trek in-jokes and random call-backs are great. Nice that the last episode changed the status of some of the characters so maybe the dynamics might change in the second season.  However, from a film music perspective (music by Chris Westlake who I don't really know at all I must admit), I really enjoyed the spoofing of Horner's nautical flourish from the second and third movies in the penultimate episode, especially effective as the first few notes of the main theme from Lower Decks are identical to Horner's main theme. The sign-off spoof from Star Trek VI was neat too, although shame it didn't call back to Eidelman's score more. And I couldn't help but getting a thrill with the TNG/TMP theme appearing during the final episode at a pivotal moment. Couldn't quite work out if it was a re-recording or tracked (possibly from The Final Frontier).

11 minutes ago, Jay said:

Apparently he was a "musical consultant" on The Force Awakens.  I wonder what that means?

Maybe the source music?! Either way, his music for Lower Decks is good fun. I like the idea of a CD as it's generally tuneful and appears to be fully orchestral throughout (but I could be mistaken, synth orchestras are pretty good these days!). I guess the risk is that the cues are very short and much less enjoyable when separate from the show.

• 2 weeks later...