Star Trek is better than everything

Unlucky Bastard

I’m embarrassed to confess, after seeing the movie a hundred times, I usually get bored after they leave the Genesis Planet.   

Incredibly underrated movie though.  It is a beautifully lensed adventure. 

7 hours ago, Stu said:

1611384869_ScreenShot2022-05-28at09_13_19.png

I... have had enough...of you!

2 hours ago, Andy said:

The Genesis cacti with snow is wonderful.  I'm a big fan of sets instead of location for fantasy films.  I don't always need the environment to seem real.  

Since Genesis is an artificially created planet, it kind of makes sense to employ the use of a dinorama (sorry about the spelling!).

The shift in the cinematography during the "Sunset On Genesis" scene, is beautiful.

5 hours ago, Andy said:

I remember wanting that cue for so long.

After Stealing The Enterprise, it's my favourite cue, in the film.

5 hours ago, Andy said:

Always thought her costume looked like raw steak 🥩 

I always thought it was a proto SCREAM mask.

13 hours ago, Stu said:

Guys, I just really freakin’ love The Search for Spock

Agreed. It's my second favourite Star Trek film.

I love the fleeting shot of the holographic videogame being played in the bar.  Echoes the groundbreaking rudimentary early computer graphics in the Genesis video, but now used just for background world-building.

st3gamegif.gif

34 minutes ago, Stu said:

Eventually I'll make my avatar a Voyage Home image and pepper this thread with defenses of Rosenman's wonderful score.  Step off, haters!

It works within the film (it got an Oscar™ nomination, so AMPAS can't be wrong), but it makes for a very disjointed listen, on its own.

Why not change your avatar to the cinema seat, in the STAR TREK V teaser poster? :)

Are you joking, @Andy?! Bob Peak's Star Trek posters are absolute classics.

What  Star Wars posters - apart from the circus poster - has Drew Struzan done?

(edit) ok, so he did the P.T., and the 20th anniversary of the O.T., but Peak's are just beautiful, while Struzan's are utilitarian.

That was a good scene!

2 hours ago, Naïve Old Fart said:

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

Screenshot_2022-05-28-10-54-17.png

21 hours ago, Stu said:

Eventually I'll make my avatar a Voyage Home image and pepper this thread with defenses of Rosenman's wonderful score.  Step off, haters!

oh yeah?!?!?! well were you for my whale fugue vs shark fugue theme poll?!?!?!?! cause it was just me and gruesome voting for whale. :lol:

but for real. I love the score of Star Trek IV, but it's also my favorite Star Trek movie.  Just the idea of mankind hunting (a very intelligent species nonetheless) the planet to destruction, is such an incredibly dark and poignant theme for such a light/comedic adventure.

I'm also such a sucker for really happy endings in movies, and when they are all celebrating in the ocean as a crew....gosh it doesn't get better than that.

Also...it's just an absolutely hilarious movie at times.  The gags are so spot on and haven't aged.

Also, might take some shit for this.  But the opening/ending credits of The Voyage Home are my favorite out of all the movies.

Trek II-IV is my favorite movie trilogy!

3 minutes ago, Bellosh said:

oh yeah?!?!?! well were you for my whale fugue vs shark fugue theme poll?!?!?!?! cause it was just me and gruesome voting for whale. :lol:

Look, I love Rosenman's score.  But come on, Jaws is Jaws!

On 28/05/2022 at 5:07 PM, Stu said:

Guys, I just really freakin’ love The Search for Spock

This! Absolutely my favourite Trek film, just everything about it is fantastic. The story feels like a natural follow on from TWOK, Horner's score dare I say is better with several highlights, acting on point, for example Shatners dismay at the death of David, Lloyds Kruge just chewing scenery, Deforest Kelley not only having to play Bone's but channel Spock as well. Iconic scenes like stealing the Enterprise, the destruction of the Enterprise which has been imitated but never had the weight that it does here, Sarek mind melding with Kirk is just an emotional gut punch. TWOK might be the better film, but TSFS just works better for me.

On 02/06/2022 at 3:10 PM, Stu said:

Trek II-IV is my favorite movie trilogy!

Definitely my second favourite, after OT Star Wars of course, one thing that feels great about both trilogy's is they build on the previous film, they're not a mapped out story, the makers looked at the one that came before and said where do we go from here, which just feels like better storytelling.

On 01/06/2022 at 5:43 PM, Stu said:

pepper this thread with defenses of Rosenman's wonderful score.  Step off, haters!

Rosenmans score fit's the film and is an enjoyable listen outside of it, love his main theme and how it uses the traditional theme as an opening before going in a different direction, making it more unique. Rumor was that Nimoy wanted Rosenman for TSFS, but I'm glad the studio pushed for Horner instead, not that Rosenman could of done a bad job, just Horner really did a perfect job that it's difficult to imagine that a Rosenman could top it.

IV was probably the most accessible film of them all. It was a massive hit. I will always love it.  The humor was so refreshing after the first three films.  But the way it completes Spock’s arc is brilliant.  And that final scene with Sarek. :crymore:One of the most majestic and happiest endings ever.   The Whale Fugue is truly lovely and unabashedly nerdy in its waltzy sing-song way.

I love the score, but will always believe that this would’ve been the Trek film that JW could’ve scored. He wasn’t even too busy at the time.