Star Trek is better than everything

Unlucky Bastard

14 hours ago, Andy said:

Trek The Halls!4C0EBF7F-8433-4425-8F0B-69FD08ABD439.jpeg

6B0E091F-9D56-435C-928A-7555F1A88090.jpeg

49A716B2-14AE-4F30-9E99-ED29665B3BFA.jpeg

The Ilia is a little spooky. I have that shuttlecraft.

Day 10
Here's Mudd in yer eye, it's no tribble at all!
And have Courage in the Library.

I, Mudd - Samual Matlovsky
The Trouble with Tribbles - Jerry Fielding
Second Season Library Music - Alexander Courage
    Original music by Courage, addition music by Steiner and Fried

Second season alternates and outtakes by Fried, Kaplan, Duning, Matlovsky, Fielding
Source music by Gerald Fried

TAEms0Hm.png     DTnPTavm.png    

s0NkUjKm.png

Ahhhh the last disc of the second season. So, LOTS of stuff.

I, Mudd - OK, I listened to it again. And it's as forgettable as the last time. Bleh. Really a score that I have nothing good to say about. And this was one of the ones that they re-recorded for Label X!

The Trouble with Tribbles - I'm not usually a fan of "funny" music. But most of this is great. Big Fite is delightful. The Tribble violins are a bit much. But they're supposed to be.

The Courage Library - One of the treasures of this box! Courage didn't score an episode but he wrote some of the great music of season two. This is the kind of music that would never have seen the light of day if not for a project like this. This is some of my favorite Star Trek music, period. C'mon, say it along with me! "In every revolution, there's ONE man with a VISION." (Or read the preamble to the U.S. Constitution. They're both good.)

Funny that Monster Illusion was conspicuously absent on the original GNP record. And now we have it twice! (Checks...) Um, THREE times! Same with 2nd Ruth.

The rest of the library and outtakes: I'm not nit picky enough to know when these were used (or not used). But I love the Metamorphosis alternates. Someday I'll figure out where everything went. Or find someone who already did. Hey, it's Christmas AND my birthday is coming up!

That's it for Season Two! I'm sure Season Three will be the best season EVER!

Day 11
Season Three! To quote the late Mr. Arnaz: Mr. Hatch, if you please.

Spectre of the Gun - Jerry Fielding
The Paradise Syndrome - Gerald Fried

oYJU3enm.png     G6gzQy8m.png

Season Three Titles - Conducted by Wilbur "I Love Lucy" Hatch.

Spectre of the Gun - Tribbles was OK, but listening to Spectre of the Gun I definitely wish Fielding had done more. He just fits into such a weird and off kilter place. Not quite serious, not quite schmaltz. A little off putting. And he does westerns really well. And then we have right down the middle beautiful romance music. This episode seems tailor made for him.

The Paradise Syndrome - My... Third favorite Steiner score? It's a much more coherent score than Shore Leave and it's a better score than Catspaw. I get a little tired of the coochy-coochy-coo music, but that's just me.

It definitely shows off Fried's versatility at writing for different instruments and different emotions and in a better way than Shore Leave did.

Yay! Spock's bass guitar theme is back!

Death of Miramanee is obviously a standout. And good solid Star Trek finale for the out.

The harmonica motif in Spectre of the Gun is somehow jaunty but lonely and melancholy at the same time.   So wonderfully weird.

Paradise Syndrome is some of the best music written for television in my mind.   I adore that one.

17 hours ago, Andy said:

The harmonica motif in Spectre of the Gun is somehow jaunty but lonely and melancholy at the same time.   So wonderfully weird.

Paradise Syndrome is some of the best music written for television in my mind.   I adore that one.

I love the harmonica. And I often feel I should like Paradise Syndrome more than I do.

On the 12th day of the Star Trek Box my true love gave to me...

Fred Steiner:
Elaan of Troyius
Spock's Brain

uo2ZdY3m.png KjlCSAFm.png

Fred's back and while he certainly is bringing his bag of tricks this season has far more unique scores than the second season.

Since this is some of the same music as previous seasons you can make a 1:1 comparison and the orchestra just sounds smaller somehow. Maybe the recording is clearer? Dunno. Weird.

Elaan has a very Steiner love theme and it's also got some killer battle music. The odd but effective inclusion of a bass guitar (not for Spock!) in the action is a neat turn.

The last track Kirk in Command has a startlingly lonely but heroic statement Steiner's Captain's theme from Charlie X that is lovely in its starkness. It then resolves into the warmer version of theme we're more used to.

Spock's Brain has Steiner returning to some very Herrmann territory. Which is fine by me! I can see why this is a fave. I should probably spend more time with it.

7 hours ago, Tallguy said:

Elaan has a very Steiner love theme and it's also got some killer battle music. The odd but effective inclusion of a bass guitar (not for Spock!) in the action is a neat turn.

Yyyyeeeahh!  I love that music. The guitar sounds amazing on this disc. 

I can’t recall the music from Spock’s Brain, so now I want to listen again. 

Day 13!
Space Hippies! And a bunch of Courage stuff

Alexander Courage:
The Enterprise Incident
Plato's Stepchildren
Whom Gods Destroy

Arthur Heinemann, Charles Napier & Craig Robertson; William Pitman:
The Way to Eden

OIYhguLm.png     1GNLjVFm.png

BwKUgM8m.png

Courage writes his last two Star Trek scores (not counting his work on Star Trek: The Motion Picture.) Not surprisingly they're both good.

Enterprise Incident is a favorite of mine and it has a score to match. I don't like Plato's Stepchildren very much but it has a good score as well. (There are a lot of terrible episodes this season that got original music.)

Courage seems to be updating the kind of writing that he did for Where No Man Has Gone Before and The Man Trap with a little more warmth and melody. Every time I listen to Enterprise Incident I feel like when I get to the scenes with Spock and the Romulan Commander (No names, she's Romulan!) that the score just grinds to a halt with the love theme going on forever. Other than that there is some great stuff here.

Stepchildren is OK but The Little Visitor is a standout and a fitting finale for Courage's time on the series.

Then there's more dancing music (they did seem to write a lot of it). Annnnd the Space Hippies. As much as I love Charles Napier (I'll wait while we all quote The Blues Brothers) I skipped most of the songs.

Day 14
Duning's Day pt. 2

George Duning:
Is There in Truth No Beauty
The Empath

Ivan Ditmars:
Requiem for Methuselah

wiuoPPAm.png K2PEU10m.png

Oh, this was a tough day. I know these scores have their fans. I suppose I'm occasionally one of them. The problem (for me) with these scores is there isn't a lot for me to grab on to. I'm sure I'm wrong but they feel like the same very Duning themes just going on and on and on.

Sometimes his use of organ can be quite lovely. But just as often it sounds very kitschy and for want of a better term "very season 3". If Shatner's third season haircut had a sound, this would be it. It doesn't help that neither of these episodes are my favorites.

That all said, there are many moments of real beauty in these two pieces. Duning was a master at that. I'm sure I could put together a 10 minute suite of these that would be mind blowing.

Both of these scores got suites on the Varese / Label X recordings.

I realize that growing up I didn't watch "first season Star Trek" or "third season Star Trek". I just watched Star Trek. But I also didn't pay as much attention to the music. It had to be The Doomsday Machine for me to notice. Now I'm much more aware of the music but I'm picking the episodes I watch, and I tend to watch the first two seasons far more. So I don't have the same phenomena where I know a score as well or better from its re-use with the third season as I do with the other two. I should fix that somehow. I mean, watching The Day of the Dove or All Our Yesterdays certainly isn't a chore! The Cloud Minders is a little more challenging and I'm not watching Turnabout Intruder unless I have to.

One more disc to go!

Day 15
Th th th that's ALL, folks!

George Duning:
And the Children Shall Lead

Courage (conducted by Hatch), Fried, Duning:
Library cues

NskQXTwm.png BwKUgM8m.png

(YES, I'm amused by using Mr. Atoz for the cover with the Library Cues!)

The last score on this disc is a not great episode. (I'll take it over The Alternative Factor any day, though.) But I like this score better than The Empath or Is There in Truth. It's almost entirely mystery and suspense without any of Duning's treacle which finally wore me out. Yes, the Ring Around the Rosy bits are a little silly and even a little cliche. But then he pays that off with a lovely rendition of it in Gorgon Summoned / Gorgon Zapped at the end. And he wraps it up with some nice Enterprise stuff. Not a bad ending.

Then we end where we started: Library recordings of Courage's first three scores. These are really interesting because they didn't have some of the same electronics that they used in the original recordings so the instrumentation is different. OTOH I have a vague memory of watching a third season episode that should have included this re-recorded music but obviously included the originals. I suppose they re-recorded the music so they would at least have the legal cover of having paid the musicians but then used the original anyway? Or used the original by mistake? Further research is called for!

I LOVE First Goner with a vocal instead of the electronic cello or whatever it was in The Man Trap.

Fried re-recorded tracks from season 1 AND 2 and Steiner didn't get any?!?

Well, this has been fun. Thank you for listening with me, or at least not telling me to sit down and shut up. It was a nice excuse and a good structure to make it through 15 discs of Star Trek!

Excuse me, I have some Jerry Goldsmith to go listen to!

• 2 months later...
On 6/12/2022 at 10:08 AM, Tallguy said:

In honor of the 10th anniversary of La-La Land's amazing Star Trek: The Original Series Collection I'm listening to a disc every day.

Day 3, Disc 3. The Big Fred Steiner Disc.

Really enjoyed catching up and reading these Tallguy! But… did you skip posting about days 1 & 2, for some reason?

Yavar

Wow, @Yavar Moradi I'm so flattered! It looks like I made an uncharacteristically brief post in the What Is The Last Score You Listened To? (older scores) thread. Then I realized that people might tire of 15 days of "I'm STILL listening to Star Trek!" so I took it over here.

Hmmm. I really thought I wrote those up someplace else. Ok, here we go!

So, four Alexander Courage scores (The Cage, Where No Man Has Gone Before, The Man Trap, and The Naked Time) and all almost entirely different! The Cage and The Naked Time are probably the closest to "regular Star Trek". Long melodies, some weird instrumentation, The Theme.

The Cage is just a masterpiece. It's a big budget film score for a TV show. (Although they were hedging their bets that if the show fell through that it could be sold as a feature. And they were probably right.) Of these four it straddles the gap between romantic and spacey as well as creepy and scary.

Where No Man Has Gone Before takes a different direction. There is a Captain's / Ship's theme but it's brief and exclamatory. (And Courage would continue to use it.) It has none of the hope or romance that the Star Trek fanfare and theme from The Cage had. The whole score is a very lonely with a sound from "the edges of space" as it were. I LOVE this score. The original GNP disc wasn't bad but this not only sounds way better but it's much more complete. It has Power Mad and Situation Grave from the finale which is a home run.

Back when these were all on the Streamers this was one of the discs that was sadly excluded over the rights with the original GNP disks because it really is the first volume that GNP put out only supercharged. I love The Box but I'm sorry that this wonderful music is not more widely available.

I find The Man Trap, as I said in the other thread, to be rather a dreary score. I like it better now than I used to. It certainly has some very fine moments. But there is a reason that Roddenberry put the breaks on this kind of sound. This is the end of the progression from The Cage through Where No Man and then to here. This is so dry it's sandy. (OK, I didn't see what I did there until after. I'll leave it anyway.) (Get it? Sandy? Sandy Courage? I'll move on now.) The electric violin is an interesting curio. The gimmick of giving the Salt Monster a theme that is handed to different instruments as the monster changes guises is clever. But it just goes on for so, so, so long. I only really revisit this when either I'm doing a play through like this or when I say "HEY! You haven't listened to The Man Trap and you've played Charlie X fourteen times!"

The Naked Time is pretty much the wonderful mish-mash that the episode is. It's also much more in line with Standard Star Trek. This could certainly be compared to Fried's Shore Leave and if it is, I like this better. For me the high points are all in the final fifteen minutes or so. It takes the lonely Captain's Theme from Where No Man Has Gone Before and dresses it up with Star Trek-y spaceship sounding horns. OTOH, the track Captain's Wig (OK, I take no grief over my Sandy pun after a title like that) was re-titled Mr. Spock for the library cues and it doesn't hold a candle to Fried's Spock theme that he would write for season 2.

Ahhh, now my re-listen is complete. Enjoy!

7 hours ago, Tallguy said:

Ahhh, now my re-listen is complete. Enjoy!

I very much did, as an owner of the box myself. Thanks for the journey! If you ever feel like doing the same with the Ron Jones TNG box (https://www.filmscoremonthly.com/notes/box05_intro.html), I'll be here for it too!

Yavar

11 hours ago, Yavar Moradi said:

I very much did, as an owner of the box myself. Thanks for the journey! If you ever feel like doing the same with the Ron Jones TNG box (https://www.filmscoremonthly.com/notes/box05_intro.html), I'll be here for it too!

Yavar

That could be tough. Even the best of TNG era music I have a hard time getting through, or distinguishing one bit from another. I love Jones' video game music. And I love Generations. For that matter Encounter at Farpoint is quite good.

The only way I might be able to tackle such a task would be to go episode by episode WITH the actual episode. Which means watching first season TNG. Ouch. (Jones lasted a lot longer than I usually remember.)

It might be interesting to do ALL of the umpteen disks of TNG music including the RJ box.

But I have to finish DS9 first. I'm finally in the seventh season. First ever watch. (I think Take Me Out to the Holosuite is one of the best hours of television I HAVE EVER SEEN.)

Dammit, @Yavar Moradi now you've triggered the Star Trek completist in me. I mean, at this point I might as well push through with the Animated Series and the TOS scores, right? :D

10 hours ago, A Farewell to Kings said:

Man Trap has that dun dun dun dun piano cue right?

It's the one that does this sort of thing for a really long time:

But there are a lot of moments that became Star Trek mainstays. They're just padded with a lot of oooooooEEEEEEEaaaaaaaaaaerrrrrrrrrrr...

As long as they don't cancel Lower Decks (the only modern Trek I outright LOVE, sorry Strange New Worlds -- you're okay) I'll be fine. and since it presumably has the lowest budget of all the current Trek shows, I'm not too afraid.

Yavar

https://variety.com/2023/tv/news/star-trek-discovery-final-season-5-paramount-plus-premiere-date-2024-1235541321

Looks like the next season of Discovery will be its last. It will no doubt finally finds its groove in the final season… which would be annoyingly ironic. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 28/2/2023 at 5:42 AM, Tallguy said:

That could be tough. Even the best of TNG era music I have a hard time getting through, or distinguishing one bit from another. I love Jones' video game music. And I love Generations. For that matter Encounter at Farpoint is quite good.

The only way I might be able to tackle such a task would be to go episode by episode WITH the actual episode. Which means watching first season TNG. Ouch. (Jones lasted a lot longer than I usually remember.)

It might be interesting to do ALL of the umpteen disks of TNG music including the RJ box.

Trust me, the RJ box will be the most fun. Almost every score of his is quite distinctive (and usually for the better, and sometimes for the worse, they tend to stick out in the episodes themselves!) I honestly think you’ll find it super rewarding and you’ll enjoy seasons 1 and 2 of TNG more than you expect, thanks to some excellent direction and scoring (even McCarthy has the odd standout episode score in the first season, with “Arsenal of Freedom” being my easy favorite which even plays well in complete form like most of the Jones scores do). There’s even a neat complete Fred Steiner score for one of the worst Trek episodes ever (poor guy, maybe if he’d gotten a better assignment than the miserable “Code of Honor” he’d have kept scoring the show…)

The problem with TNG is that as the series itself smoothed off the rough edges of the early seasons, the music and direction of the episodes became more generic and didn’t stand out like early on. But Jones did keep doing superb work into season 4, ending with the superb score (and episode) “The Drumhead”, a great way to go out.

There’s a reason every note Jones did for the series got released complete, and if you dig into that FSM set you’ll discover why. So much variety (almost TOS-level) and all from one composer instead of several! And plenty of lovely long-lined orchestral themes too… it’s just that Jones wasn’t allowed to make them recurring!

On 28/2/2023 at 5:42 AM, Tallguy said:

But I have to finish DS9 first. I'm finally in the seventh season. First ever watch. (I think Take Me Out to the Holosuite is one of the best hours of television I HAVE EVER SEEN.)

Dammit, @Yavar Moradi now you've triggered the Star Trek completist in me. I mean, at this point I might as well push through with the Animated Series and the TOS scores, right?

Sure, I’d be happy to have your thoughts on the half hour or so of TAS music that Neil Bulk and Mike Matessino salvaged for LLL! Did you finish DS9? I think the 10-part finale storyline is pretty darn excellent… until “What You Leave Behind” which I found overall fairly disappointing (man was Dukat wasted…)

Yavar

https://www.looper.com/1227470/star-trek-fans-are-obsessing-over-picard-season-3s-soundtrack/

Star Trek fans like music that sounds like Jerry Goldsmith and James Horner’s Star Trek music shocker (I mean if you’re gonna “lovingly pastiche” you may as well do it from the best).

1 hour ago, Tom Guernsey said:

The third season of "Star Trek: Picard" gives fans yet another opportunity for further adventures with Patrick Stuart's titular "Next Generation" captain

🤦‍♂️

Yavar

3 hours ago, Tallguy said:

I haven't noticed as much in the later episodes, but the Horner button was pressed pretty hard in the first episode.

Oh definitely, although there is quite a lot of Eidelman too, especially in the end credits (the bit after the First Contact section when the fuller credits roll) with those descending brass figures.

2 hours ago, Yavar Moradi said:

The third season of "Star Trek: Picard" gives fans yet another opportunity for further adventures with Patrick Stuart's titular "Next Generation" captain
🤦‍♂️

Yavar

Well... yes... quite. Gerry Goldsmyth is my favourite.

1 hour ago, Tom Guernsey said:

https://www.looper.com/1227470/star-trek-fans-are-obsessing-over-picard-season-3s-soundtrack/

Star Trek fans like music that sounds like Jerry Goldsmith and James Horner’s Star Trek music shocker (I mean if you’re gonna “lovingly pastiche” you may as well do it from the best).

There is an episode of TNG that had a score that sounded like - I shit you not - "Planting The Charges".

The music for Picard S3 got off to an amazing start with the callbacks but has pretty much reverted back to background music I don’t notice.  

Everybody, film score fans and casual viewers, expressed how great the music was at first.  It would be nice if the producers hear the message. I still think the First Contact theme is being wasted, and the TMP theme to a lesser degree. 

Still love the show though. 

29 minutes ago, Andy said:

The music for Picard S3 got off to an amazing start with the callbacks but has pretty much reverted back to background music I don’t notice.  

Everybody, film score fans and casual viewers, expressed how great the music was at first.  It would be nice if the producers hear the message. I still think the First Contact theme is being wasted, and the TMP theme to a lesser degree. 

Still love the show though. 

This is when you want more skilled pasticheurs on board... picking some random names out of thin air, Joel McNeely and Kevin Kaska... they could do the pastiche stuff brilliantly, but also write interesting new material.  Still, it's a step up from the music from the earlier seasons (and Disco).

• 2 weeks later...

Strange New Worlds: Season 2 - June 15th. Renewed for season 3.

Lower Decks: Late Summer - Renewed for season 5.

Prodigy: Winter 2023 - No renewal news yet.

Good time to be a Trekkie!

6 minutes ago, Tallguy said:

Strange New Worlds: Season 2 - June 15th. Renewed for season 3.

Lower Decks: Late Summer - Renewed for season 5.

Prodigy: Winter 2023 - No renewal news yet.

Good time to be a Trekkie!

And Picard S3 is great!  

Paramount+ has handed a series order to Star Trek: Starfleet Academy, its fifth live-action Star Trek series (and seventh Trek series overall)

Franchise boss Alex Kurtzman and Noga Landau (The CW’s Nancy Drew) will serve as co-showrunners and executive producers.

Paramount+ is currently home to Star Trek: Discovery (ending with Season 5), Star Trek: Short Treks (an anthology series initially conceived to bridge the gap between seasons of Discovery), Star Trek: Picard (ending with its current Season 3), Star Trek: Strange New Worlds (renewed for Seasons 2 and 3), Star Trek: Lower Decks (renewed for Seasons 4 and 5) and Star Trek: Prodigy (renewed for Season 2).

As of January, an eighth series — the long-gestating Discovery spinoff about Section 31 starring newly minted Oscar winner Michelle Yeoh — was still in active development at Paramount+.

This concept is so has been kicked around forever. It didn’t interest me then, and I’m not super thrilled now. 

Was in local HMV branch and saw that they have 20% off Trek DVDs, so I purchased the Animated Series boxset. I don't recall seeing much (if any) of the episodes back in the day, so it'll all be new to me hopefully. Yay!    

I've been thinking on if I should get TAS on Blu ray. I'll make the decision as soon as it's hard to get / more expensive.

TAS has higher highs and possibly lower lows than a lot of TOS. Everyone loves Yesteryear but One of Our Planets is Missing and The Time Trap are top shelf Star Trek to me. And while More Troubles More Tribbles somehow gets dismissed as a Trouble with Tribbles rehash, it has one of the best space battles in all Trek. (Before technology turned every space battle into Midway meets Star Wars.)

3 hours ago, Sweeping Strings said:

Well, this is it ... animation obviously isn't hampered in the same ways as live-action TV Trek was.

No, but it is hampered by the cost of animation.

Well, yes ... I have read that the reason there was no Chekov was due to the budget not stretching to having Walter Koenig on board as well as the other regulars. 

But in terms of settings etc, there's surely more flexibility scope-wise if they're being drawn rather than having to be built.   

Yeah, they only wanted to bring back The Big Three (and maybe Scotty?). But Nimoy put his foot down for diversity reasons. (Not a 21st century invention, believe it or not.) So they budged and brought back Nichols and Takei but there was no way they could afford Koenig. But he got to write an episode.

As it is, Doohan and Majel Barrett do a LOT of voices. Nichols and Takei too. Doohan's Commodore Wesley from The Ultimate Computer isn't bad. But he's no John Colicos or Bart LaRue. Oh, Majel does a good Amanda as well.

When I say "the cost of animation" I mean that Filmation's stock and trade was limited animation techniques so as to give you a 30 minute episode at a far lower cost.

That said, the likenesses of the cast are really quite good. And there are some pretty terrific Star Trek designs in there.

First ep was fun ... despite the lack of Chekov and the theme tune (due to an argument between Alexander Courage and Roddenberry, apparently) it felt unmistakably 'Trek'. Nicely zippy pace too, which I guess is what happens when the episodes are half the length of the live-action ones.  

Theme: Nothing to do with Roddenberry. They weren't going to pay for the theme no matter who wrote it or got paid for it.

Although according to Ray Ellis he approached Roddenberry and asked what he thought of the new theme. Roddenberry said something like "There's a new theme?"

I love the music to TAS. I'm sure there's a little bit of nostalgia there but mostly just because it's awesome.

Sunday I finished the Original Series for the first time, I did it with my mom who watched a few episodes on TV back in the day, and yesterday we started the Animated Series, we watched everything from the first disc, 6 episodes I believe.

I really enjoyed the the animation and the vibes, it certanly continues from TOS, and greatly expands the worlds (though, somehow, the Enterprise seems empty), loved The Lorelei Signal, specially because I was really confused by Turnabout Intruder. Vulcan looks nothing like Vulcan from anything else in Yesterday, and that was an interesting choice.

As for TOS, it's a show that I watched. Kidding, I really enjoyed it, though some episodes really bugged me the wrong way, but I brush it aside because it was the '60s. I liked to some extent that the Seasons had thematic throughlines, but the repetition of plots started to be a little tiresome at the end of each one. Thankfully, I don't have a problem with it being an old show (technically speaking), quite the contrary, it makes me like it even more.

37 minutes ago, Gabriel Bezerra said:

though, somehow, the Enterprise seems empty

Everyone thinks that you can do anything in animation, but they don't consider that it's more work to film 10 people walking down a hall than it is the animate them all. :)

39 minutes ago, Gabriel Bezerra said:

Vulcan looks nothing like Vulcan from anything else in Yesterday, and that was an interesting choice.

They've revisited some of the images from TAS. Notably in Enterprise.

Congratulations. Esp. for your choice to follow with TAS.

Turnabout Intruder: It's funny the things that fans will latch on to as ABSOLUTE TRUTH and the things that they will readily dismiss. "Vulcan has no moon" was ONE line in the first aired episode but that takes precedent over any on screen depictions with a moon. (And there has been some attempts to reconcile that in fan lore.)

But tell people that Spock is Vulcanian (the term used almost exclusively in the first season in many episodes) and you will be told that that was just early series weirdness.

One of the worst episodes ever made has a crazy person say that women can't command Starships? CANON!

3 hours ago, Tallguy said:

One of the worst episodes ever made has a crazy person say that women can't command Starships? CANON!

I wish it was just a line about it, but the entirety of the episode revolves around this nonsense of a rule being true, it's non-canon now thank God, but that mean this episode also is to an extent. I don't think the episode itself is that bad, if they focused on the fact that she was right, she should be able to command a starship, it could be great (for the time, the notion that a future utopia would have such a rule is completely nonsensical). And of course dropping the whole hate towards being a woman, the writer had unresolved issues, surprised it wasn't the same as Metamorphosis, the one I despise the most.