'Star Wars: The Force Awakens' SCORE speculation

Ricard

I know this won't make me friends, but those fast trumpets at around 0:40 makes me think of Zimmer's Batman (ex: Gotham's Reckoning). But we know he's done a lot of fast stuff like that throughout the years, probably since The Lost World.

Also... DAMN those timpani being compressed and super bassy.

It's very clearly a reworking of the sarlacc pit in the beginning but is still very nice material. My main constant for wanting to see this film is the music.

It's very clearly a reworking of the sarlacc pit in the beginning but is still very nice material. My main constant for wanting to see this film is the music.

It's not clear to me.

It's not clear to me.

bummer.

It might have been clearer for me considering I had listened to that cue the day before. It's so distinctive.

OK, I just listened to the trailer with my eyes clothes to focus solely on the music. I like the new music in the beginning a lot actually. It's kind like his 2000s style action music but not specifically like any particular score. Would love to hear it clean.

Once the fanfare kicks in there's nothing knew that I noticed, although in the youtube version the audio gets so distorted there it's hard to say for sure.

Call it complete cynicism or just plain loss of faith on my end, but I don't think Williams is going to be coming up with any new thematic material that will be as dynamic and memorable as his material in the OT.

:peepwall:

Mind you that this opinion is based solely off of what I've heard in the trailer.

Honestly I can't believe that anybody would think that this quickly written trailer cue has anything whatsoever to do with how he'll approach scoring the film itself.

It's just trailer music.

He's not doing a 1941 / Hook / Harry Potter teaser thing here. He just wrote quick hype music. If he's figured out what themes he wants to use in this new film, he hasn't showcased them here yet.

Don't forget Williams doesn't read scripts, and they just finished shooting the film, so there's no rough cut for him to watch yet for him to begin scoring the film at all.

If you've been composing music for film and television for the vast majority of your life, odds are that you'll have run out of original thematic material to conjure up.

Then again, Williams may surprise me yet. You're right. It's just a trailer. Let's see how the actual film plays out.

I foresee Filmtracks will give this four stars out of five. Just a gut feeling.

The trailer track or the film track?

Just kidding. ^_^

One thing I would have liked is if he composed a cool new "ending fanfare" for the bit of the SW main theme. It just kinds of ends badly here

yes, it does sound a bit akward ending on the dominant, but on second interpretation maybe it wants to show the waiting for the new trailer ( the coming of the final tonic!)

Please, a little seriousness guys, those verbal sparring between members becomes very annoying.

I'm a little bit deceived by the music of the trailer, but I think it cames from the short form of the trailer itself.

That's a trailer that inspire suspense and mystery... so the music is about suspense and mystery... well, until the appearance of the Millenium Falcon.

I personally hoped for a more nostalgic trailer, using the Force Theme and... showing Luke!

Well, it seems we'll have to wait for other trailers to discover the scale of the work done by John Williams on this new Episode!

One thing I would have liked is if he composed a cool new "ending fanfare" for the bit of the SW main theme. It just kinds of ends badly here

yes, it does sound a bit akward ending on the dominant, but on second interpretation maybe it wants to show the waiting for the new trailer ( the coming of the final tonic!)

Indeed, I was pointing this out earlier. Very unusual for Williams to end the fanfare in such an unresolved nature.

Indeed, I was pointing this out earlier. Very unusual for Williams to end the fanfare in such an unresolved nature.

Perhaps he didn't and this is just a producer's edit?

Perhaps he didn't and this is just a producer's edit?

Or perhaps it is entirely intentional.

He doesn't have it in him anymore, sadly.

The bass is cranked WAY too high on this thing, like they put Marty McFly in control of the amplifier. I guess the music Williams provided wasn't RCP enough?

He doesn't have it in him anymore, sadly.

The bass is cranked WAY too high on this thing, like they put Marty McFly in control of the amplifier. I guess the music Williams provided wasn't RCP enough?

it's not only the bass of the music but the bass of the sound effects too.

I hear a distorted thing in the whole trailer.

My guess is that they made this trailer and tested it in their high quality equipment, without thinking how it would sound in a home pc with regular speakers.

I wonder if the same distortion is evident at cinemas too..

Well it should be noted the version of the teaser on YouTube in the main post here is a fan upload to YouTube, not an official upload. I haven't checked to see if LFL has put it up properly YouTube or if they've only put it on iTunes themselves.

Well it should be noted the version of the teaser on YouTube in the main post here is a fan upload to YouTube, not an official upload. I haven't checked to see if LFL has put it up properly YouTube or if they've only put it on iTunes themselves.

Every version I've checked, has the same distortion.