'Star Wars: The Force Awakens' SCORE speculation

Ricard

Any ideas on the opening chord? I'm getting E5-F5-Ab5-C6-D#6-E6-G6. It's like an FmM9 with secundal bristling.

what's "secundal Bristling" ? is that the E5 and D#6 ?

t

I for one hope Abrams will call for a more heavily thematic approch for these score, not only in the action sequences but otherwise as well. Williams has such a giant playbook of themes to draw upon now, especially in the post original trilogy universe. I am guessing that he will be focused on writing new material as it seems to be his usual method as he wants very keenly not to be seen as just recycling old material but will probably judiciously use the old themes to establish us back into this galaxy. I also dearly hope he has been given a chance to rework the older themes and motifs so that the score is not just littered with note-for-note quotes of old material from previous films (which tended to happen in RotS).

All depends on the nature of the storytelling and the general stylistic approach of the movie. Williams will surely draw upon some of the earlier thematic material (maybe even for just a quote), there's no question about it, but I expect a fairly new original score, with new themes establishing the main ground on which Williams will build the score. As for the action music, it very much depends on how much cluttered and dense the whole sound track will be, but I'm fairly sure it'll be however more in the vein of the prequels' action music than the original films'.

I for one hope Abrams will call for a more heavily thematic approch for these score, not only in the action sequences but otherwise as well. Williams has such a giant playbook of themes to draw upon now, especially in the post original trilogy universe. I am guessing that he will be focused on writing new material as it seems to be his usual method as he wants very keenly not to be seen as just recycling old material but will probably judiciously use the old themes to establish us back into this galaxy. I also dearly hope he has been given a chance to rework the older themes and motifs so that the score is not just littered with note-for-note quotes of old material from previous films (which tended to happen in RotS).

All depends on the nature of the storytelling and the general stylistic approach of the movie. Williams will surely draw upon some of the earlier thematic material (maybe even for just a quote), there's no question about it, but I expect a fairly new original score, with new themes establishing the main ground on which Williams will build the score. As for the action music, it very much depends on how much cluttered and dense the whole sound track will be, but I'm fairly sure it'll be however more in the vein of the prequels' action music than the original films'.

Naturally it depends on the approach the film makers are taking and what kind of score Abrams is planning for the film. No doubt some nostalgia is addressed but I am sure it will be very much a brand new score to continue the musical saga. From the point of view of leitmotifs Williams will be able to bring back quite naturally many of the beloved themes of the original trilogy in the new score with some of the familiar characters making reappearances.

I hope Abrams will allow for some magical music moments like "Tales of a Jedi Knight," "Yoda and the Force," or even "Binary Sunset." Those types of cues were sadly missing from the PT.

I hope Abrams will allow for some magical music moments like "Tales of a Jedi Knight," "Yoda and the Force," or even "Binary Sunset." Those types of cues were sadly missing from the PT.

I would argue that that is probably because there weren't really any magical moments in the PT that would justify music of that nature. I can imagine something like that playing when we see Luke for the first time in TFA.

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/oaKm5U6hahE?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

I think this is by far the best cue of the PT... outside the film. I don't think the scene itself is the same as the others as it doesn't have the same hair raising moments, at least for me. "Yoda and the Force," for example, fits the scene perfectly with Yoda's dialogue and the visuals. It doesn't take over the scene, but instead adds more depth to it.

Even something like The Death of Yoda. There were few scenes even remotely comparable to this in the prequels with characters speaking at length where Williams composed music that is just brilliant outside of the film. The closest they ever got was probably Anakin and Palpatine in Revenge of the Sith, but the majority of the music for those scenes still doesn't really excel aside from the opera scene, and even that's really stretching it.

I hope Williams does some thematic material for the stormtroopers following the rebel's march and opening crawl. A melody that really conveys the frantic nature of the few stormtroopers getting their act together. Maybe even something comical, like in the vein of The Devil's Gallop.

Not really, they were there in all three prequels. Some are still unreleased:

Well a lot of that "magic" probably has to do with your connection with those scenes. Considering none of the PT scenes touched you personally as much, you're understandably going to have less of that "magic", and consequently think less of the music.

The funeral music is beautiful stuff though.

Not really, they were there in all three prequels. Some are still unreleased:

Always really loved this.

There's some beautiful moments in the Prequels. E.T. and Elliot is just one of the most jaded JWfans

My God, man! Put away your Rosewood-colored Williams glasses and let me save this forum before it's too late!

While derivative, I feel it has enough variation to kinda make it stand on its own. Parts of it do sound pretty similar to Seven Years In Tibet though, I'll give ya that.

It sounds more like "Hook" to me, but it's still one of the highlights of the PT.

It's best not to dwell on such minutiae. In any case, we have far more important matters to discuss.

Am I really a jaded JWFan? I feel that my view of the prequels is fairly realistic. I don't love them, but I don't dislike them, either. I enjoy the hell out of certain parts, but I find them by no means to be remarkable or in the same league as Star Wars, Empire or Jedi.

It's best not to dwell on such minutiae. In any case, we have far more important matters to discuss.

Am I really a jaded JWFan? I feel that my view of the prequels is fairly realistic. I don't love them, but I don't dislike them, either. I enjoy the hell out of certain parts, but I find them by no means to be remarkable or in the same league as Star Wars, Empire or Jedi.

Those abominations should never have been made. On the other hand, they have taught us a valuable lesson when idolising storytellers and examining their limitations.

The prequels also make for a grest litmus test by indicating a movie goer's personal tastes and standards when judging art.

I'm going to go and watch some daytime soaps right now.

Those abominations should never have been made. On the other hand, they have taught us a valuable lesson when idolising storytellers and examining their limitations.

Well it clearly didn't do its job properly!

- KK, remembering the good old days of Hobbit hype...

I find quite amusing that people still go on the fence when talking about the prequels (be it the movies themselves or just the scores) and I guess the very same will happen with the new films, so brace yourself for another 15+ years of forum fights :P

I think the prequel music overall are damn fine scores. What they lack in comparison to the original trilogy music is the same strong narrative cohesion, but that's mainly how Williams responded to the films themselves, which suffer by piecemeal-styled narrative. In the prequels, music is relegated more often than not to background accompaniment, hence leaving less space to a developed narrative. That happened much less in the original films, where the music is given a more prominent role. Maybe only in Revenge of the Sith the music raises to the same level in some sequences (but that's also because the music is mixed louder in comparison to EpI and II, hence the perception changes).

That being said, there is plenty to enjoy and chew on the three prequel scores from a purely musical standpoint. Williams' command of the symphonic lexicon and his treatment of the orchestral language are just phenomenal.

Well put. One of the major differences in the structure of the films and scores is how little connective ideas the films contain and thus Williams's music crafts largely 3 individual stories with the last of them more notably quoting material from the previous two. This is mainly because the main characters shift from one film to the other either disappearing or transforming so that the previous music was not considered applicable in the new situations. Even though Williams always strives to create new set of themes and sounds for a new score in this series he usually implemented with skill the music from the previous film and expanded upon that. With Prequels he in all three cases started almost from scratch with each film aside from using few older themes like the Force theme to create continuity as the story would allow only few ways to use the previous music in the next film if at all.