'Star Wars: The Force Awakens' SCORE speculation

Ricard

There's nothing Disneyfied about the opening raptor pen attack in JP. Used to terrify me as a kid and still sends shivers down my spine. It doesn't resort to TLW's relative gratuitousness, but it works wonderfully.

I didn't found it terrifying in the least but then you can imagine which movies a male teenager watched around '93 in cinema or tv, compared to a lot of them, JURASSIC PARK seemed rather tame if well-directed (the action sequences at least). The only Spielberg movie that ever terrified me was JAWS.

I didn't found it terrifying in the least but then you can imagine which movies a male teenager watched around '93 in cinema or tv, compared to a lot of them, JURASSIC PARK seemed rather tame if well-directed (the action sequences at least). The only Spielberg movie that ever terrified me was JAWS.

Jaws was underwhelming in that department. The real scary stuff as a child was the vodoo ceremony in TOD.

As an adult the only Spielberg film i found a bit scary was Minority Report, which still remains his best film after Saving Private Ryan.

KOTCS isn't nearly as damaging to the series as the Star Wars prequels. It's just a dumb Indy adventure.

Lol!

There's a plastic post-modern touch to the original JP. It was of course, because of the times. 1992 (when it was shot) was going through this phase of arts. Same happened to a lot of other medium (music, architecture, clothing, design, etc...). Sure that opening scene might have been scary, but when you start dissecting it you see a lot of smoke & giant floodlights in the background, it feels like a movie setup and not natural at all. There's no grit.

Indeed.

I'm not the biggest Zimmer fan in the world. but he still is a far more interesting composer

tvh0077.jpg

Don't forget that Zimmer is 10 years older than Giacchino. You can't compare Giacchino to today's Zimmer, compare him to the Zimmer circa 2005

I think Giacchino makes good use of the whole orchestra, which Zimmer does not. My favorite Giacchino scores are, to me, better than my favorite Zimmer scores.

More often than not, I find Zimmer's music (in-film) more affecting/effective than Giacchino's.

I think Giacchino makes good use of the whole orchestra, which Zimmer does not. My favorite Giacchino scores are, to me, better than my favorite Zimmer scores.

More often than not, I find Zimmer's music (in-film) more affecting/effective than Giacchino's.

I'd say the way Zimmer utilized woodwinds in Interstellar alone is more interesting than anything Giacchino had done in that department until Jupiter Ascending. But even that's nothing special. And that's pretty telling since one is a symphonic composer and the other isn't, so the comparison is silly to begin with.

Many see Gia as the next JW, because he writes in an "old fashioned" symphonic style!

Because it's been on i will give the spotlight to a composer who is around the same age and writes in a positively 'old-fashioned' style and even knows how to orchestrate. It's a given that Zimmer shouldn't/wouldn't/couldn't touch stuff like this but if the hailed 'symphonic' Giacchino finally would even get around such a good and competent themes-and-variations approach and write a tune not in mortal danger of expiring due to galloping shortness of breath after 6 notes, i would be more than willing to sing his praises (that he can do it i know, it's just so infrequent i don't even remember when).

"Dejah's Theme" from John Carter was probably the last Giacchino melody to make an impression on me, though I don't remember how much variation there was on it.

There's nothing Disneyfied about the opening raptor pen attack in JP. Used to terrify me as a kid and still sends shivers down my spine. It doesn't resort to TLW's relative gratuitousness, but it works wonderfully.

I was three years old, so I don't think CANDYMAN, SILENCE OF THE LAMBS or JACOB'S LADDER were ever on the cards.

I'd say the way Zimmer utilized woodwinds in Interstellar alone is more interesting than anything Giacchino had done in that department until Jupiter Ascending. But even that's nothing special. And that's pretty telling since one is a symphonic composer and the other isn't, so the comparison is silly to begin with.

I don't really think of Gia as a symphonic composer. He's still big band writer, even when he's using a 120 piece orchestra.

I don't really think of Gia as a symphonic composer. He's still big band writer, even when he's using a 120 piece orchestra.

That's pretty much how I feel. Giacchino's scores feel like marching band arrangements of themselves.

I am sure that there is part of Williams thinking he is too old to have to deal with Abrams staggered scoring/recording wishes. However, he has be happy that he will be scoring edited footage that will not (likely) be reedited post scoring. I listened to TPM ost yesterday, which reminded me of how hacked up the music is in the film, and it is the least problematic of the prequels.

I am sure that there is part of Williams thinking he is too old to have to deal with Abrams staggered scoring/recording wishes. However, he has be happy that he will be scoring edited footage that will not (likely) be reedited post scoring. I listened to TPM ost yesterday, which reminded me of how hacked up the music is in the film, and it is the least problematic of the prequels.

Yeah, I wouldn't be surprised if he decided to bow out of the other episodes simply due to the exhausting writing schedule. I've read stuff from this forum (2005 or so) about his exhaustion from The Prisoner of Azkaban's scoring process and the difficulty adapting to new directors being primary factors for him turning down Goblet of Fire.

I thought he couldn't do Goblet of Fire because he was already commited to Munich and Memoirs of a Geisha.

I thought he couldn't do Goblet of Fire because he was already commited to ROTS, Spielberg's 2 films, and wanted to do Geisha.

That was the "main" factor but the scoring process of POA certainly didn't encourage him to continue (allegedly).

If Spielberg's 2 films came out in 2006 instead of 2005 I wonder if he would have done HP4.

Well, Munich was really rushed into the end of 2005, wasn't it? Spielberg didn't even start filming it until July...I feel like the decision about GOF would have already been made before it had a confirmed release date, but maybe not.

Judging by the sheet music yea - there were a TON of rewrites - almost every cue.

The 'family theme' was completely rewritten at one point and replaced with the one we know now. I'd love to know if any cues featuring the original theme were recorded.

I was three years old, so I don't think CANDYMAN, SILENCE OF THE LAMBS or JACOB'S LADDER were ever on the cards.

That's actually an excellent point. There are so many moments, particularly in his action music, where it's just a tad too swingy. It's like if Mancini had been unable to jettison his suaveness when it wasn't needed.

Judging by the sheet music yea - there were a TON of rewrites - almost every cue.

The 'family theme' was completely rewritten at one point and replaced with the one we know now. I'd love to know if any cues featuring the original theme were recorded.

Can the sheet music for the original Family Theme be found anywhere?

Window from the Past?

Well yea, that's how I saw it :P

Window from the Past?

Yes, that theme

Well yea, that's how I saw it :P

Where?