BloodBoal

"Do not pity the dead, Harry. Pity the living, and, above all those who live without love."

- Captain Jean-Luc Picard

It was one of the most painful online experiences I had to go through! You gotta give me some credit for making the effort!

- KK, still trying to process half the gibberish he just read.

So anyway....

I think Interstellar should win for cinematography, score, production design, and visual effects. In the "would be nice but unlikely/undeserved" category, I'd put editing, sound mixing/editing, and screenplay. I don't think it'll win best picture, obviously, but I'm not sure I feel like anything else really deserves it more.

Nolan really deserves his own statue, and if they're going to give it to him, this is the best time for it. Think that's the one I'm most pulling for, unlikely as it might be.

Not really sure who's going to win Best Picture this year, no obvious candidate is popping up yet. But I'm 90% sure that Birdman and Inherent Vice are better films and better candidates for the statuette than Interstellar.

I know I haven't seen it yet, but I think Birdman will win for cinematography, and probably a stronger candidate for screenplay too. I think Interstellar has a strong chance for visual effects, sound mixing/editing, and maybe production design or best original score, though I wouldn't put my bets on that.

It was one of the most painful online experiences I had to go through! You gotta give me some credit for making the effort!

- KK, still trying to process half the gibberish he just read.

What, are you rereading The Lord Of The Rings?

No, I'm going through your analyses of Price's Robin Hood scores!

I haven't seen either Birdman or Inherent vice, but they're on my "most anticipated" list.

And while I'm sure Interstellar will get nominated for the director and Best Picture categories, I don't think he'll go home with either.

It won't win Best Picture for sure. But it looks I'd enjoy it more than Interstellar (which is a great film, just not PTA-level great).

I haven't seen either Birdman or Inherent vice, but they're on my "most anticipated" list.

Birdman sure is on my list!

Inherent Vice looks fun too, but I'm not in a hurry to see it.

It's annoying because Birdman has been out here for a while, but I haven't had the time to see it yet!

It comes out around January for you guys right?

I'm curious if Zimmer will receive a nomination for Interstellar.

I'm sure he will.

I predict Interstellar will win....nothing.

It's not as raved about as Gravity and they don't give awards to space movies often , it didn't make that much money, numerous problems reported about the sound mix could mean not even an award in sound. There's nothing in the score indicating it will even be nominated for that

I predict Interstellar will win....nothing.

It's not as raved about as Gravity and they don't give awards to space movies often , it didn't make that much money, numerous problems reported about the sound mix could mean not even an award in sound. There's nothing in the score indicating it will even be nominated for that

You're an idiot.

Where are you, Stefany?

I love the part where KM makes sweeping claims based on an exaggeration of review quality, the assumption that $500m is "not a lot of money", ignoring what I said about Academy members eating up the "innovativeness" of the sound mix, and his own feelings about the score.

Okay, so who's in the running for Best Original Score?

I'm putting my money on either Johannsson's The Theory of Everything, Desplat's The Imitation Game, and Reznor & Ross's Gone Girl. Not too sure of Powell's HTTYD2.

Newman's The Judge?

Okay, so who's in the running for Best Original Score?

I'm putting my money on either Johannsson's The Theory of Everything, Desplat's The Imitation Game, and Reznor & Ross's Gone Girl. Not too sure of Powell's HTTYD2.

As far as nominees go, Selma might have a chance if the film is enthusiastically received. Birdman was mentioned in another thread.

Powell's score doesn't stand a chance of getting nominated.

The list will probably look something like this:

The Theory of Everything by Johann Johannsson

The Imitation Game by Alexandre Desplat

Interstellar by Hans Zimmer

Birdman by Antonio Sanchez

**Gone Girl by Reznor + Ross

The last one is real iffy, not sure if the Academy will give them a third nomination. So you can substitute that by any other surprise scores if you'd like.

I don't know what would be more depressing. HTTYD 2 not being nominated or Gone Girl being nominated and winning. Both, probably.

Boyhood was gimmicky poo. A lot of pensive staring and technique ultimately saying nothing.

Malick has been there and back, a thousand times more successfully.

I haven't seen it, but I hear Selma doesn't amount to much either, unless you're a sucker for anything that Oprah slaps her name on.

I liked it. It was a really interesting experiment, and it had a way of hooking you in, just because everything felt so real.

I can see why it's so easy to dismiss as gimmicky crap, and I do agree it's overrated, but it's not without merit.

I don't know what would be more depressing. HTTYD 2 not being nominated or Gone Girl being nominated and winning. Both, probably.

Gone Girl won't win. Might get nominated though. HTTYD 2 won't be however.

I haven't seen it, but I hear Selma doesn't amount to much either, unless you're a sucker for anything that Oprah slaps her name on.

I don't know any insiders, as perhaps you do, but early reviews are promising, so I'm hopeful.

Gone Girl won't win. Might get nominated though. HTTYD 2 won't be however.

You never quite know with the music voters, but yeah, they don't often go for sequel scores. Usually it has to be a noticeable sonic departure to get nominated, like Skyfall and Prisoner of Azkaban in recent years. I could see Powell sneaking in, but Dragon 2's score is more along the same lines as the first so I wouldn't necessarily bet on it.

As far as other plausible alternatives go...Imitation Game seems like the Desplat score they'd probably go for, but I wouldn't be surprised to see him get in for Unbroken either or even The Grand Budapest Hotel. He might end up with two nominations. Elsewhere, Danny Elfman has Big Eyes this year. Selma might have a chance depending on how it's scored and if it's in the running for Best Picture. Talking of unlikely sequel scores, I guess Giacchino could surprise with Dawn of the Planet of the Apes. Also interestingly, Iglesias seems to get nominated whenever he does an English-language movie so they could always go for Exodus even if the movie doesn't go over so well. And they nominate Thomas Newman pretty much as a rule so I wouldn't count out The Judge either.