BloodBoal

Brangelina just has started drumming up her minions for UNBROKEN - an Oscar-friendly bait if there ever was one, disabilities, war, underdog-winning-against-all-odds galore - and with the other 'dramas' in competition so forget INTERSTELLAR winning anything besides technical categories.

For score i hope for MALEFICENT getting a nod...next to Zimmer, Desplat & co. it would be a nice reminder that fantasy can still be a fertile musical genre.

The Imitation Game is the best I've heard so far this year and the most deserving for best score thus far.

Cumberbatch for best actor. He's brilliant in it.

Boyhood won the New York Critics' prize for Best Film.

Less predictably, J.C. Chandor's A Most Violent Year won the top prize with the National Board of Review, usually a good predictor of Oscar nominees if not winners. I'm happy to see some light shed on this one as I'm a fan of Chandor's other two movies (Margin Call and All is Lost) and this seems to have very little distribution. Early reviews have also compared it to some of Sidney Lumet's work and while I'm not quite expecting this to match up to the master himself, it's definitely added to my excitement.

Too safe. Safe scores only win if the film has enough acclaim and Oscar-love riding behind it, which Imitation Game is lacking in compared to its competitors.

Interstellar has a much stronger chance, though my bets are on Birdman. A score wins if its approach is radical enough, and "out there" (sometimes, even a new foreign name/player suffices to meet this qualification) or if the film is one of the frontrunner critical darlings.

Imitation Game is neither I'm afraid.

Very possible. I could see one for Unbroken too. But that would kill his chances even more, as we know just too well from Williams' history.

Too safe. Safe scores only win if the film has enough acclaim and Oscar-love riding behind it, which Imitation Game is lacking in compared to its competitors.

Interstellar has a much stronger chance, though my bets are on Birdman. A score wins if its approach is radical enough, and "out there" (sometimes, even a foreign name/player suffices to meet this qualification) or if the film is one of the frontrunner critical darlings.

Imitation Game is neither I'm afraid.

Nah, I think you're calling it too early. Imitation Game still stands a pretty good chance at winning Best Picture, it's not the kind of film that needs mass critical support to be a hit with the bigger awards. The subject matter is right in the Academy's wheelhouse, audiences love it, the box-office has been pretty outstanding so far in its limited release, and it has the Weinsteins.

Interstellar could win but I don't think it'll be the big juggernaut that just takes everything like Life of Pi or Gravity. I can see it going to Birdman for how much it stands out (though there's a fine line between "weird" and "eccentric"), but right now at least, I'd say there's an equally good chance that Desplat wins for this. Either as a "safe" consolation prize e.g. Finding Neverland or Atonement, or as a technical Oscar to add to its tally as the Best Picture winner or runner-up.

I heard Imitation Game is a good film, and I'd like to see it. But I just can't see it faring well against big weights like Birdman, Inherent Vice and some others. Cumberbatch might be the candidate to bet on for Best Actor though.

I don't think Inherent Vice will be a big awards film, really. I think it's going to be awesome but it's apparently kind of insane in the literal sense of the word and even critics are divided on it so far. As for Birdman, I loved it and I think it will definitely inspire enough passion to get it loads of nominations but again, I just think it may be too wacky to reach the kind of broad consensus that a movie like Imitation Game, Boyhood, or from what I've heard, Selma can have.

You guys still actually care about the Oscars?

Karol

Oh the whole thing is bullshit, but it unfortunately also combines my love of movies with my love of lists, statistics, puzzles, trivia, etc. :P I still enjoy following it in a left-brained sort of way; Oscar predictions always depend on the most absurd logic possible and the results make even less sense. Also as Richard said, the politics are hilarious and Hollywood as an industry has always been kind of morbidly fascinating to me. It's all pretty good fun considering deserve's got nothing to do with it.

Technically, aren't these the 2015 Oscars?

Looks like the film was soaked in piss. Either that, or I'm drinking too much absinthe.

No such thing as too much absinthe. I'm thinking about getting a balancier.