The Battle of the Five Armies SPOILERS ALLOWED Discussion Thread

gkgyver

Yea, all of that sounds fine and makes a lot more sense than them just suddenly appearing like they do in BOFA TC!

All of this was familiar to me, except this:

Gandalf Bard informed that the gates of the city were occupied by the enemy. A feeling of despair rises in both Bilbo and forbids them to give up. He buries an acorn in the ground and says that here one day, a tree will grow, as a symbol for life.

I have never heard about this before, and I notice no source is cited.

Really, the only way they could get the Palantir scene in is to have a new beginning involving Sauron, Gandalf and the Rings. Perhaps Sauron could show Gandalf the vision through the Palantir.

Really, the only way they could get the Palantir scene in is to have a new beginning involving Sauron, Gandalf and the Rings. Perhaps Sauron could show Gandalf the vision through the Palantir.

Oh right, I didn't think of that!

It is certainly possibly that in the EE of BOFA, there will be a proper prologue, like in all 5 previous Middle-Earth films. Maybe it will start with Radagast arriving in Rivendell, and telling Elrond and Saruman (if he's still there and not in Isengard) what him and Gandalf saw in The High Fells, and what Gandalf told him outside Dol Guldur. Maybe it could then cut over to Gandalf in Dol Guldur and they could stick a palantir something or othere there, and the vision he sees is what brings up the "Battle of the Five Armies" title card, and then after that we cut to Smaug flying towards Lake-town.

Could work, I suppose.

Alvar. no one cared when Hitler came to power in 1933. And for me this is the exact same thing!

Think back at this moment years from now, when wading though the 131 sub forums that JWFan will then have. Think of how right I was.

First they make a John Williams sub forum so JE discussion wont interfere with Tolkien discussion, and then years later, when a Tolkien sub forum barely serves any function they create one?

I'm afraid JWFan truly has becomes the playground of the idiots, the panic ridden and the OCD sufferers.

Having a Tolkien sub forum without reinstating John Williams discussion to GD is insane!

Well they could have Gandalf and Sauron discuss the rings (with some flashback shit hopefully), then, with mention of Thrain and the Last of the Seven, the conversation could turn to Thorin, Erebor, and Smaug, at which point Gandalf would be shown the vision and finally despairingly utter 'Smaug' or 'The Dragon', or something similar. It could then cut back to the beginning of the film proper with Smaug's attack. This seems perfectly doable, which again obviously means it won't happen.

By having a conversation between the two, they could also address the exact nature of Sauron's relationship with Smaug as well as his overall intentions re. Erebor. I know clarification on these points would please a fair few people.

It doesn't seem entirely plausible I'll grant you, but such a scene would give Sauron a rare chance to articulate his thoughts and exhibit his scheming and devious side.

The other option is Radagast arriving at Rivendell and calling for a council, which would give us some back story on the rings, but obviously the palantir scene wouldn't fit here.

BB, what do you mean? All 5 previous Middle-Earth films had a proper prologue (events taking place before the main action), while BOFA did not. So what are you talking bout?

Both GK and SUH. I don't think there is a single scene in BOFA that hasn't been called "great" yet by SUH.

And while the latter is more willing to accept that there are flaws in this film despite his personal enjoyment, GK seems to genuinely believe in the greatness of this film, as if it should be held on a pedestal alongside the likes of Birdman, Inherent Vice, Under the Skin, etc etc. I find it rather concerning actually!

WTF is Birdman?

Find me the quotes where I put the film on a pedestal, then we'll talk. I never once said the film didn't have flaws. I'm saying the film (along with the previous two) is the perfect setup for Fellowship, and that these films are being scrutinized well beyond reason, to the point where I genuinely think some people are by now watching BOTFA purely to find flaws.

No insult to any of you.

I totally get that BOFA is an enjoyable film, and just because I can be sour and bitter from it, doesn't mean that it's any less entertaining for others.

I just don't quite follow when you guys call this a "great" film. The films I listed above are films I consider when I think about the "great" films of the year. BOFA is more like Maleficent or Guardians of the Galaxy, etc. Entertaining blockbuster pics, with special sentimental value because of the films that preceded it. That's a view that sounds credible and logical to me.

But again, it's all about opinions and taste, so who am I to judge?

If I say it's a great film, that's my opinion. I couldn't give a fuck what others think, nor should my perception of the film be effected by other, completely unrelated films. I enjoy/appreciate each film on its own merits. Like last night, I watched an old Hong Kong action film called Tragic Hero. Now some would go about comparing this to Die Hard (just because it's perhaps THE action film, not because of any similarity in plot) and even something like Hard Boiled (arguably the finest HK action film) and judge it as fairly cheap and ludicrous by comparison, but I thought it was great, and that's a term I'd also use for those two films and feel no problem in doing so.

The idea that somehow the likes of this and GOTG are to be valued differently to the critical/award darlings is pure snobbery IMO. Many critics gave top marks to GOTG and I doubt they ever thought: "Hang on, we're going to have to knock a point/star off this because we gave the same score to Gone Girl and Birdman" (and before anyone gets pedantic I realize GOTG came out before these films so such a scenario is unlikely, but you get my drift. We'll no doubt see the same with Avengers 2 anyway)

If you don't think a film is great then that's fine, but that doesn't give you the right to fault someone else for having the opposite opinion.

It seems generally JWFan's perception of the films is very different to how they actually turned out. Sure a good number of people out their think they can be lame or are disappointed after LOTR, but they're generally enjoyed and successful with fun and well done moments aplenty. I get the impression they're the antithesis cinema reading many things around here!

They are the antithesis to blockbuster cinema these days because they do have a heart.

It seems generally JWFan's perception of the films is very different to how they actually turned out. Sure a good number of people out their think they can be lame or are disappointed after LOTR, but they're generally enjoyed and successful with fun and well done moments aplenty. I get the impression they're the antithesis cinema reading many things around here!

They are the antithesis to blockbuster cinema these days because they do have a heart.

Sure but I'd argue GOTG has heart too. Just of a different kind. To others, Thr Hobbit may not have as much heart really. We find it more endearing because of the sentimental value the franchise has to us, and our familiarity with these characters.

Whatever heart may have been in The Hobbit and or GOTG was pretty weak IMO. The few smaller, more personal moments that we got pretty much all fell flat for me. Still, it was very interesting watching these movies and literally compiling lists of things I won't do if I ever end up making a blockbuster myself.