The Danny Elfman Batman Collection (New, Improved Batman '89 + Batman Returns) - New La-La Land

Jay

10534128_10152959770438755_5946629543343

THE DANNY ELFMAN BATMAN COLLECTION: BATMAN / BATMAN RETURNS: LIMITED EDITION (4-CD SET) LLLC 1327

Limited Edition of 3000 Units

RETAIL PRICE: $49.98

In honor of Batman’s 75th Anniversary, La-La Land Records, Warner Bros. and WEA proudly present THE DANNY ELFMAN BATMAN COLLECTION: BATMAN / BATMAN RETURNS: LIMITED EDITION (4-CD SET). Batman swoops back into La-La Land with this thrilling re-issue of our previously out-of-print deluxe editions of Danny Elfman’s classic, original scores to the Tim Burton-directed BATMAN (1989) and BATMAN RETURNS (1992), presented together for the first time! While the programs presented on these discs are the same as found on our acclaimed initial releases, BATMAN (1989) has been overseen by producer Neil S. Bulk and newly remastered by James Nelson from recently unearthed score elements, resulting in better sound quality. (BATMAN RETURNS is the same master as our previous release.) Produced by Neil S. Bulk, Dan Goldwasser and MV Gerhard, this special release of 3000 units features gorgeous, completely re-designed packaging by Jim Titus. The 48-page booklet carries over the liner notes from our previous editions. The populace of Gotham would agree – this is one knockout presentation of two iconic scores from a legendary Dynamic Duo in its own right… Tim Burton and Danny Elfman!

TRACK LISTING:

BATMAN

Disc 1

ORIGINAL SCORE FILM VERSION:

1 Main Title* 2:42

2 Family*/First Batman*/Roof Fight* 3:24

3 Jack Vs. Eckhardt* 1:37

4 Up Building*/Card Snap* 1:54

5 Bat Zone*/Axis Set-Up* 1:55

6 Shootout* 5:42

7 Dinner Transition*/Kitchen Dinner*•/Surgery* 3:00

8 Face–Off*•/Beddy Bye* 3:59

9 Roasted Dude* 1:03

10 Vicki Spies (Flowers)* 1:56

11 Clown Attack* 1:59

12 Photos*/Beautiful Dreamer*† 2:30

13 Men at Work* 0:33

14 Paper Spin*/Alicia’s Mask* 0:30

15 Vicki Gets a Gift* 1:13

16 Alicia’s Unmasking* 1:10

17 Batman to the Rescue*/ Batmobile Charge*/Street Fight* 4:25

18 Descent Into Mystery* 1:33

19 Bat Cave*/Paper Throw* 2:48

20 The Joker’s Poem* 0:59

21 Sad Pictures* 0:38

22 Dream*/Challenge*/Tender Bat Cave*• 4:28

23 Charge of the Batmobile* 1:43

24 Joker Flies to Gotham (unused)*/Batwing I* 0:31

25 Batwing II*/Batwing III* 6:02

26 Cathedral Chase* 5:07

27 Waltz to the Death* 3:58

28 Showdown I*/Showdown II* 5:05

29 Finale*• 1:47

30 End Credits* 1:29

Total Time Disc 1: 75:40

Disc 2

ORIGINAL SOUNDTRACK (REMASTERED):

1 The Batman Theme 2:37

2 Roof Fight 1:22

3 First Confrontation 4:43

4 Kitchen/Surgery/Face–Off• 3:09

5 Flowers 1:51

6 Clown Attack 1:46

7 Batman to the Rescue 3:57

8 Roasted Dude 1:02

9 Photos/Beautiful Dreamer† 2:31

10 Descent Into Mystery 1:33

11 The Bat Cave 2:35

12 The Joker’s Poem 0:59

13 Childhood Remembered 2:43

14 Love Theme• 1:30

15 Charge of the Batmobile 1:41

16 Attack of the Batwing 4:45

17 Up the Cathedral 5:05

18 Waltz to the Deat* 3:56

19 The Final Confrontation 3:48

20 Finale•† 1:46

21 Batman Theme Reprise 1:31

BONUS CUES

22 News Theme* :11

23 Joker’s Commercial* 1:23

24 Joker’s Muzak (unused)* 1:15

25 Main Title (alternate 1)* 2:42

26 Photos*/Beautiful Dreamer (alt)*• 2:33

27 Batman to the Rescue (original ending)* :52

28 Charge of the Batmobile (film edit)* 1:47

29 Main Title (alternate 2)* 2:47

Total Time Disc 2: 68:20

ALBUM TOTAL TIME: 144:00

* Previously Unreleased

• Includes “Scandalous” composed by Prince with John L. Nelson

† Includes “Beautiful Dreamer” composed by Stephen Foster

All tracks published by Warner-Barham Music LLC except where noted

• Published by Controversy Music – Warner Olive Music LLC. † Published by Minder Music, Ltd.

BATMAN RETURNS

Disc 3

THE SCORE:

1 Birt* of a Penguin/ Main Title 5:38

2 Penguin Spies* 1:09

3 Shadow of Doom*/Clown Attack*/Introducing the Bat• 5:01

4 Intro*/The Zoo•/The Lair 6:00

5 Caught in the Act*/Uh-O* Max* 1:58

6 Kitty Party*/Selina Transforms• 5:30

7 Penguin’s Grand Deed* 1:50

8 The List Begins* :45

9 The Cemetery 2:56

10 Catwoman Saves Joan*/The New Woman* 2:03

11 Penguin’s Surprise 1:43

12 Bad, Bad Dog•/ Batman vs. Circus/ Selina’s Shopping Spree• 5:42

13 Cat Chase• 2:12

14 Candidate Cobblepot* :58

15 The Plan*/Kidnapping* 2:32

16 Sore Spots/Batman’s Closet* 3:22

17 The Plot Unfolds* 1:15

18 Roof Top Encounters• 4:49

19 Batman’s Wild Ride• 4:19

20 Fall from Grace• 4:17

21 Revealed*/Party Crasher* 3:18

Total Time Disc 3: 68:08

Disc 4

THE SCORE (cont’d)

1 Umbrella Source/ The Children’s Hour/War• 7:53

2 Final Confrontation•/Finale 9:15

3 A Shadow of Doubt•/ End Credits• 6:15

4 Face to Face 4:18

Performed by Siouxsie and the Banshees

ALTERNATE AND ALBUM CUES:

5 The Zoo (alternate)• 1:00

6 The List Begins (alternate)* :45

7 Cat Chase (alternate ending)• 2:13

8 Roof Top Encounters (original)• 4:49

9 Fall from Grace (alternate ending)• 4:17

10 The Lair, Part I :57

11 The Lair, Part II 4:51

12 Selina Transforms, Part I 1:12

13 Selina Transforms, Part II 4:15

14 Batman vs. The Circus 2:35

15 Cat Suite 5:43

16 A Shadow of Doubt (alternate)•/End Credits (alternate) 7:02

BONUS TRACK:

17 Super Freak* 3:23

Total Time Disc 4: 71:27

TOTAL ALBUM TIME: 139:35

* Previously Unreleased

• Contains Previously Unreleased Material

“Face To Face” Words and Music by Danny Elfman and Siouxsie and the Banshees

Published By Warner-Barham Music LLC/

Little Maestro Music BMI/Dreamhouse Music PRS.

“Superfreak”

Written by Rick James and Alonzo Miller

Orchestrated by Bruce Fowler

Publishing by Jobete Music Co., Inc./

Stone City Music/Stone Diamond Music Inc.

Samples:

http://johndadlez.com/MP3/Batman/D1_T02_F_FB_RF.mp3

http://johndadlez.com/MP3/Batman/D1_T11_CA.mp3

http://johndadlez.com/MP3/Batman/D1_T17_BTTR_BC_SF.mp3

http://johndadlez.com/MP3/Batman/D1_T25_BII_BIII.mp3

http://johndadlez.com/MP3/Batman/D2_T04_K_S_FO.mp3

http://johndadlez.com/MP3/Batman/D2_T17_UTC.mp3

http://johndadlez.com/MP3/Batman/D2_T23_JC.mp3

http://johndadlez.com/MP3/Batman/D2_T29_MTA2.mp3

Order:

http://www.lalalandrecords.com/Site/DEBC.html

http://www1.screenarchives.com/title_detail.cfm/ID/28441/

http://www.moviemusic.com/soundtrack/M09668/danny-elfman-batman/

Clown Attack sounds significantly better based on the samples and my memory of the old non-album version. Excited for this. Can't wait for the Main Title with that snare in all its glory.

According to Elfman's Batman liner notes from the 2010 Warner Bros. Collection:

This is a reconstruction of the sequence and edits of the original soundtrack album using a different source for the master.

I never thought the original soundtrack album sounded very good from a sonic perspective. There are a number of possible reasons for this.

In the first place, getting a good recording proved to be difficult due to the extreme pressure of the schedule and my own inexperience in how a large score should sound. (This was my first time with a big orchestra.)

It was technically difficult as well, as we found ourselves in a studio that neither we, nor the engineer, were very familiar with, and we had equipment problems. I was simply focused on getting the notes recorded before the clock ran out for each session, nothing more. Just to get the damn thing on tape!

It is also possible that the source of the masters--when the original album was released in 1989--was itself flawed, or might have been a second-generation copy. The possibilities are endless. With our new masters, we tried our best to match the original album, with the exception of "Attack of the Batwing," where we added some previously cut music, thus, restoring it to its full-score length.

I would have to compare the music from this new Limited Edition 4-CD Set with the 2010 Warner Bros. Limited Edition Set to see which one is sonically superior.

So the earlier LLL release for Batman might have exclusive versions of some cues, judging by the sample of "Joker's Commercial" on this new release. Those who have it might want to hang on to it

Looks awesome. By the time I get around to deciding whether or not I want it, it'll probably be sold out.

THINK ABOUT THE FUTURE!

I already hear one difference in the first sample when Batman lands behind the crooks. Sounds different.

A few weeks ago I was thinking "Man, it would be great if they re released the La LA land Elfman Batman scores...perhaps even a combined release"

And holy hell my day dream came true!

Ordered it today (along with Big Top Peewee).

Yes definitely ordered! :)

I don't own any version of Batman Returns yet so I have quite a lot to look forward to from this set.

Batman Returns is a fantastic score. Might be my favorite Elfman

It is along with Danny DeVito the best thing about that very uneven film. While I am not the biggest fan of Elfman's "cooing choirs period" there is some really fantastic stuff in here. The gothic themes are brilliantly done and Elfman really captures the essence of Gotham with his music, strange, inventive, wacky, brooding, tragic and at times thunderous.

Yes definitely ordered! :)

I don't own any version of Batman Returns yet so I have quite a lot to look forward to from this set.

That will be interesting to read your thoughts. My film music hobby was started pretty much by this score (and Jurassic Park, Hook and The Lion King). It's very different from the first, written in fully formed classic Elfman style (post-Edward Scissorhands). And the development of its three (four, depending on how you count) principal themes is a stroke of genius. Also, LLL presentation of this score is perfect.

Karol

I look forward to reading John Takis's liner notes as well as I know he is a massive fan of the score. :)

John Takis' liner notes are great and definitely made me appreciate the score even more. You're lucky that you'll be able to read them under great Jim Titus art direction; They were VERY hard to read in the original booklet due to the art designer's decision to use light blue text on a black background.

Yea the score is very very different from the first. I love both scores for totally different reasons, and listen to either depending on my mood.

A good read, I can tell you this much.

The film I also hold dear to my heart. In fact, it's the best one from this era. No, it doesn't really do Batman justice. But it's German Expressionism love letter production design, coupled by interesting political satire, puts it above all the others. The plot as such makes little sense, of course. But, I think, it's mostly exaggerated on purpose.

EDIT: Little elves just gave me a scoop that my sister indeed purchased this set as a Christmas present for me. Good, can't wait for the good sounding Batman.

Karol

The film I also hold dear to my heart. In fact, it's the best one from this era. No, it doesn't really do Batman justice. But it's German Expressionism love letter production design, coupled by interesting political satire, puts it above all the others. The plot as such makes little sense, of course. But, I think, it's mostly exaggerated on purpose.

EDIT: Little elves just gave me a scoop that my sister indeed purchased this set as a Christmas present for me. Good, can't wait for the good sounding Batman.

Karol

Correct about it not making any sense. What was the Penguin's initial plan? It seemed like he was just making it all up as he went along.

Karol

Correct about it not making any sense. What was the Penguin's initial plan? It seemed like he was just making it all up as he went along.

Although it was all a bit too elaborate to be just making it up as he went along. Oh and Chris Walken giving his best bad Chris Walken impression in this movie. Could he be further removed from genuine human reactions? Yes he was a psycho but Chris Walken is really going to super weird directions with his characterization.

Well he sure is if you like the stir fried crazy laced with Chris Walken sauce. ;)

Can you be more specific please?

Well, judging by the audio sample, on this set "Joker's Commercial" is in stereo but drops an instrument that sounds like woodblock percussion that was present on the original release. Maybe there are other, similar examples of that on this new release

Apparently, Tim Burton was afraid of this guy.

Karol

No wonder. I would not want to meet this unpredictable automaton on a dark alley at night. Or during the day.

Can you be more specific please?

Well, judging by the audio sample, on this set "Joker's Commercial" is in stereo but drops an instrument that sounds like woodblock percussion that was present on the original release. Maybe there are other, similar examples of that on this new release

Hey Corellian,

I asked Mr. Neil S. Bulk your question, and this is his response, quoted with his permission:

There are two mixes of "Joker's Commercial", a stereo and a mono. They are the same performance, but the mono mix favors pizzicato strings (you can hear them at the start). Our new source had both mixes, but the stereo was cut at a higher level, yielding better sound. In an ideal world I would have included both on this release, but we were not allowed to change the 2010 play list.

The 2010 album used the mono version from the film stem and has all of the issues associated with using that source. As the mono was already out there, I decided to go with something new and better.

Makes sense to me.

The entire set is worth buying, for ME, based upon the sample I heard from Batwing II/III. Going by the original LLL track time, beginning at 1:43-- the trumpet/bones blast as the scene cuts to the Batwing as it prepares to descend. For the first time EVER-- this mix now matches that of the film- with each triplet rhythmic brass blast being pronounced and distinct. Before, on the previous album releases, it sounded muddy, cluttered and indistinct. I am SO excited about this release!!

I suppose some fan editor will probably mix the two.

Truly I was worried for a second. The Joker Commercial is the most awesome piece in the entire score, a pivotal lynchpin around which the whole score is built.

You know the saying: The road to Santa Monica is paved with good intentions.

Karol

My Father used to say that the road to Hell is paved with good intentions. I laid the first stone right there. I'd committed myself. I'd pay any price, go to any lengths, because my cause was righteous. My...intentions were good. In the beginning, that seemed like enough.

Batman Returns is a fantastic score. Might be my favorite Elfman

I think it's his best, by far. The orchestrations are lush, creepy and beautiful. And I think he took the Batman theme to new heights.

I suppose some fan editor will probably mix the two.

Truly I was worried for a second. The Joker Commercial is the most awesome piece in the entire score, a pivotal lynchpin around which the whole score is built.

If I may enlist your ears, Mr. Incanus...

Perhaps you can discern for me which one of these versions of The Joker's Commercial is sonically superior.

Here's the first version from the Expanded Score (just ignore the News Theme):

And here is the version from the 2010 Burton/Elfman 25th Anniversary Music Box:

http://picosong.com/4Asz/

Observations? Opinions? What do you think? Is it anything like this version from the LLL Limited Edition set?

Karol

His initial plan was to kidnap the firstborn sons of Gotham's elite. That would have been his grand revenge. The whole searching for his parents thing was a cover -- an excuse to be able to go through the city records without attracting undue suspicion. (Bruce Wayne suspects, of course: "I think he knows who his parents are.") He gets sidetracked by Shreck's plan to make him mayor -- the seduction of power and adulation. But when the public turns on him, it's back to Plan A. And when THAT scheme fails, he decides to just blow up the whole city.

I somewhat recently watched the film again with Marcy who had never seen it and was not confused by the plot at all.

Though I probably would have been unable to explain the plot of the film if you had asked me what it was before I just watched it again

Coincidentally, I started to watch Batman Returns on Netflix on Wednesday night. Definitely fell asleep somewhere in the middle part, since I was very tired and I didn't think anything was happening. Mayor blah blah mayor something something. Oh I'll finish it sooner or later.

Coincidentally, I started to watch Batman Returns on Netflix on Wednesday night. Definitely fell asleep somewhere in the middle part, since I was very tired and I didn't think anything was happening. Mayor blah blah mayor something something. Oh I'll finish it sooner or later.

OMG, Batman Returns is in my top 10 favourite movies ever!!

(and its score in my top 10 favourite also)

Well my package shipped yesterday. Fingers crossed for the usual fast LLL delivery. :)

I'm ready to hear some thoughts on and reactions to Batman '89! Anyone have it yet?

I've heard the first Batman score from this new re-issue. There definitely is an improvement for the score and it's cool to hear the longer "Batwing I" and "News Theme". Although there's a couple of tracks I prefer the mixes from the previous version IE: Cathedral Chase.

The original presentation of Cathedral Chase was perfect. Although, I thought there was more dynamic contrast in this version (along with virtually every other piece).

Indeed. There are some awesome percussive elements in a lot of the action pieces that have either been absent, or toned down in previous releases. In 'Shootout,' for example-- (also has some louder, lush harp strokes)- during the moment that Bob the Goon turns the gun on Gordon while Batman clutches Napier-- there are some small chimes/bells playing over the tense chords, that I've only ever heard in the film mix. And overall, there is a rounder, almost 3 dimensional sound quality that is similar to 'Returns.'