The Danny Elfman Batman Collection (New, Improved Batman '89 + Batman Returns) - New La-La Land

Jay

• 1 month later...

I just wrote this at FSM.

I don't know if any jwfan member wants to chime in and say something on this:

But I wanted to address another thing that I don't know if it has been mentioned.
Is track 1 in Disc 1 the film version?
At exactly 1.30 there is a "wrong" note. (it's the 2nd note the 3rd time the 3-note motif plays - well the 1st time isn't heard so it's basically the 2nd time)

It should be an A, and it's almost an A#.

I just checked my Bluray, and the wrong note isn't there! The performance is right.
So, is this track an alternate version?

By the way, I just checked 1st track in Disc 2, and the performance is right too there (approx. at 1.29), and you can also hear the 1st statement of the 3-note motif as on the Bluray.
So maybe THIS is the film version?

I've already noted this error in performance for the previous edition, it was on one of the disc 2 alternates. I haven't really listened to the new set yet.

This is what Neil said:

"Main Title" is a previously unreleased mix, designated "70mm" on all our tapes. The "35mm" mix is closer to the film version (it may be the film version) and is the "alt 2" on disc 2. The reason for that decision is because we used the "35mm" mix there in 2010. It's the same take (note the squeak at the start, it's there in the movie, too) just a different mix.

It's more complicated than that though, check my notes at the FSM board. The film version is a composite that hasn't been replicated exactly, I seem to remember.

I see. But now it's the first track on Disc 1.

(edit: it's the las track on Disc 2 too as you said. The only right performance of the 3 then is track 1 of disc 2)

Any link to your FSM post?

I guess the film version then is a composite of the album version with the right note at that spot, and the errored performance for other passages.

This is my post from 2013:

So I've done some quick comparisons between the main title versions. A couple of notes:

- Batman: Album Version from 0:00-1:20 and 2:20-end = Alternate 2 on the LLL:
Around 1:20 it’s different from Alternate 2 (a give-away is the error in Alternate 2 around 1:31); I’m not sure where Alternate 2 kicks in again (I think around 2:20).

- In the very last beat of the Album Version there seems to be a kind of ‘hiccup’ that isn’t there in Alternate 2 (perhaps some form of clipping again during mastering?).

- Batman: the Film Version is just a film mix of the album version (it’s the same recording I think) – except perhaps for the clipped section, which also seems to be shortened by less than half a second at the very beginning of that section (notice the first of the pairs of beats coming in half a second earlier than the album version).
I think it's probably just the same recording, but it’s been clipped either due to amplifying that part (because of the different mix) or to micro-editing it.
It's also possible they mixed in an insert from another recording of course. (Just like the part between 1:20 and approx. 2:20 of the album version may be an insert? It's certainly not from either Alternate 1 or 2.)

- Alternate 1 seems to be the only true (entire) alternate available of the Batman theme.

This pertains to the first LLL release of course.

Anyway, it's weird that the '70 mm mix' contains the same error. I'm getting more confused each time they rerelease this :)

Just wanted to ask, did anyone got any response/confirmation when he sent an email for the replacement disc?

I haven't got any yet...

I wonder if they reply or they just send the discs and they show up one day.

• 3 months later...

Cool that he gets to share these little behind-the-scenes stories. :)

Interestingly they have all these obligations to only use the existing soundtrack imagery, which must be sometimes really annoying and frustrating, especially when the images themselves are not up to the quality the designer was aiming for.

• 6 months later...

Just wanted to confirm that the so-called 70mm mix (the new 'main title' on disc 1) is exactly the same as alternate 2 on disc 2. (Maybe it has a slightly better mix or so, but it's definitely the exact same performance and track.)

And to reiterate, this "alternate 2" has been partially used (but mixed differently) to create the film version/album version (which are almost identical to each other) - see my notes above.

• 3 years later...

Bespin, you just broke the forum rules.  Please familiarize yourself with them before posting again.  Thank you

07 - You may embed videos of - or include a link to sites that stream - copyrighted material. However, links to sites where copyrighted material can be illegally downloaded are not allowed. You may link to legal streaming/download sites or to places where people can listen to your own compositions or recordings, for example.

08 - Discussion of music CDs before they are in stores (ie when they "leak" to the internet) is allowed, as is discussion of leaked recording sessions, sheet music, and other bootlegs. HOWEVER:

a) You may not post a link to, or name of, any site where this material can be illegally downloaded.

b) You may not offer on the public forums to send this material to anybody who PMs you.

c) You may not ask on the public forums for somebody to PM you a link to this material.

In other words: On the public forums, please discuss the music only, and not where to get it. This rule will be strictly enforced.

https://www.jwfan.com/forums/index.php?/topic/20175-forum-rules-please-read-before-posting/

1 minute ago, Gruesome Son of a Bitch said:

He does use Prince's Scandalous melody in the score. So there was some level of participation there.

I always thought the theme was Elfman until I bought this set, however I love the use of it in the score and not in Prince's song. 

• 1 year later...

Last Call...Danny Elfman Batman collection 40 left

Exclusively on the la la land records website

Get it now before it's gone forever

https://lalalandrecords.com/danny-elfman-batman-collection-the-limited-edition-4-cd-set/

https://filmscoremonthly.com/board/posts.cfm?threadID=145289&forumID=1&archive=0

I wonder whether they will redo the 1989 one again? Last time they couldn't do much apart from a couple of details. The sad thing is I would probably buy it again. :lol:

I don't think there was a single thing wrong with the sequel so no need to change anything there.

Karol

Neil already redid Batman 89 in a definitive presentation; It's just that it was only released on vinyl.

So yea, I'd buy that new main program as a physical CD edition from LLL (in a package with every single bonus track currently available across 4 different albums to form a 2CD set) in a heartbeat.

I don't know why you say that.  It's completely chronological.  The fact it's split into four vinyl sides is a necessary aspect of the medium; It clearly didn't affect the ordering of tracks because it's still chronological.  And its great!

Holy hell, all 40 units completely disappeared in under an hour.

Why is it always the Batman CDs where I get so hesitant for a while that they just run out by the time my brain stops doing mental gymnastics? Admittedly, I just quite don't have the attachment to Elfman's music like I do Goldenthal, but I do enjoy them plenty. Maybe it's the lack of nostalgia tied to them.

Monsters in Motion still has them listed, but I get the sense that they aren't as quick to update for whenever a product is gone. I'll see what they tell me soon enough.

3 hours ago, HunterTech said:

Why is it always the Batman CDs where I get so hesitant for a while that they just run out by the time my brain stops doing mental gymnastics?

You're brain was doing mental gymnastics for 7 years? :o

Given my condition, one could argue I haven't escaped from mental gymnastics for much of my life so far. ;)

I shouldn't be so hard on myself really. General CD collecting has slowed down considerably for me, so to buy one now would require serious consideration. I just don't quite have the attachment to Burton's Batman like I sort of do Schumacher's. As such, the music is still taking its time for me to fully gel with. But in spite of my general stinginess these days, I still like to support labels when I can, so it leaves me a bit miffed if I lost an opportunity to do so.

That being said, if MiM ends up not having it in their inventory, I'll be worried if they can't give a full refund, since apparently they only can offer the customer store credit. Hopefully they'll be understanding in this case.

On 12/12/2014 at 9:19 AM, jwalk713 said:

As for this new release-- it should be fairly apparent that I am enthralled by it. After 72 hours of non-stop listening, I have but two matters that are of a less than stellar nature-- 'Main Title,' and 'Showdown I.' Simply, I think there is much more reverb on both of these pieces than any other in the presentation. When compared with the rest of the score, they stick out quite a bit. I'm sure that there is an explanation for this, and it really isn't a complaint, mind you. Just an observation. 'Main Title Alt. 2' seems to have the more favorable, consistent mix. It is SO similar to 'Main Title' in orchestration, tempo and presentation (so much so that I wondered if it was actually the same take just mixed SLIGHTLY differently), that I may just move it to first position on the playlist. Nevertheless-- this is my definitive 'Batman' release.

So, I was dumb enough to sell my 2010 release when I picked up the 4CD Collection... and Wow, am I disappointed in the mix for the Main Title.  Main Title Alt. 2 has those aggressive snares at about 0:49 that represent what you hear in the film mix.  I had the same thought that I may just move it to the first position on the playlist.

I hope they go back to the well one more time for Batman 89.  It's like Wrath of Khan... one of those scores that you will buy for even the slightest improvement.

Sadly, in this case, I wish I'd kept my 2010 CD.