The Danny Elfman Batman Collection (New, Improved Batman '89 + Batman Returns) - New La-La Land

Jay

• 3 weeks later...

Well, as a result of Monsters In Motion and SAE not having units in their inventory, I had to resort to Discogs to pay extra to own a copy. Can't say I'm too miffed about it, since it's only going to get more expensive overtime (plus it's still cheaper than owning either of the original solo releases). It's definitely a pretty set, with the only qualm being that a tiny bit of the plastic broke off on the side.

Now, listening to this set certainly did a surprising amount to better help me assess my feelings on both scores, given how much I would've already listened to them for a fair bit. 89 in particular I thought was pretty solid for both presentations in spite of what's missing or how some tracks sound. The main titles are certainly a bit iffy, and there are points where you can hear the limitations of the recording or that it gets a bit much with the stereo plane, but I think it sounds pretty decent otherwise. I don't have an overall preference between it and the OST mix (though I definitely prefer the former for key cues thanks to listener bias).

Returns is a completely different story, however. I don't understand how people can say this exact configuration is already perfect, since I find it's fairly lifeless as is. In stark contrast to 89, the OST absolutely sounds better than the expanded (both the original master and the Elfman/Burton remaster). Not to mention that I just don't find any of the missing cues do much to add to the score, since the initial presentation works strongly as is. I used to think this was the better score between the two, and I could certainly return to that opinion down the road, but currently I just find it a bit hard to appreciate as a whole.

So if there does end up being a more refined 89 release, I might actually sell this set. I just don't care for Returns enough to want to keep this particular version of it. That being said, I'm only now getting the hang of repeatedly listening to key scores, so I'm open to seeing how I feel by then.

(Oh, and I bought Forever for a really good price right after, so that's nice.)

q77Zo2A.jpg

Batman OST is a classic hard to beat.  The extended version of Batman Returns mostly add action cues, so it offers a drastic different experience comparing to the OST.

But I love to have choice of listening to the OSTs or the Complete scores.

17 hours ago, HunterTech said:

the OST absolutely sounds better than the expanded (both the original master and the Elfman/Burton remaster)

IIRC the Elfman/Burton set includes the exact same master as the original LLL expansion.

I always found the OST lacking both aurally and in presentation.  I’m usually fairly ambivalent when it comes to “OST vs expansion” - and when I do have an opinion, it’s usually that I prefer the shorter OST arrangement.  However, BR has always been a clear improvement for me.  Diff’rent strokes I guess!