The Danny Elfman Batman Collection (New, Improved Batman '89 + Batman Returns) - New La-La Land

Jay

So the 2010 album is a keeper then.

Karol

Absolutely. If for no other reason than the mono version of 'Joker's Commercial.' And for me, just because I enjoy having multiple mixes of the same pieces for comparison and ear training. As for this new release-- it should be fairly apparent that I am enthralled by it. After 72 hours of non-stop listening, I have but two matters that are of a less than stellar nature-- 'Main Title,' and 'Showdown I.' Simply, I think there is much more reverb on both of these pieces than any other in the presentation. When compared with the rest of the score, they stick out quite a bit. I'm sure that there is an explanation for this, and it really isn't a complaint, mind you. Just an observation. 'Main Title Alt. 2' seems to have the more favorable, consistent mix. It is SO similar to 'Main Title' in orchestration, tempo and presentation (so much so that I wondered if it was actually the same take just mixed SLIGHTLY differently), that I may just move it to first position on the playlist. Nevertheless-- this is my definitive 'Batman' release.

And of course-- 'Batman Returns' is magnificent. Creepy, romantic, lush, exciting and beautiful. Together, they comprise my favorite works of Elfman, followed closely by 'Pee-wee's Big Adventure' and 'Beetlejuice.'

These were a couple of notes I made about the previous release. I presume the album/film version of the Batman theme is a composite of that take and another.

- Batman: Album Version from 0:00-1:20 and 2:20-end = Alternate 2 on the LLL:
Around 1:20 it’s different from Alternate 2 (a give-away is the error in Alternate 2 around 1:31); I’m not sure where Alternate 2 kicks in again (I think around 2:20).

- In the very last beat of the Album Version there seems to be a kind of ‘hiccup’ that isn’t there in Alternate 2 (perhaps some form of clipping again during mastering?).

- Batman: the Film Version is just a film mix of the album version (it’s the same recording I think) – except perhaps for the clipped section, which also seems to be shortened by less than half a second at the very beginning of that section (notice the first of the pairs of beats coming in half a second earlier than the album version).
I think it's probably just the same recording, but it’s been clipped either due to amplifying that part (because of the different mix) or to micro-editing it.
It's also possible they mixed in an insert from another recording of course. (Just like the part between 1:20 and approx. 2:20 of the album version may be an insert? It's certainly not from either Alternate 1 or 2.)

- Alternate 1 seems to be the only true (entire) alternate available of the Batman theme.

So if I am not obsessively compulsive about the Batman music, will this new set be OK for me?

The track listings are the same, of course. But every track has something new to offer now, both in terms of sound quality, and instruments/elements that have previously not been present on an album, or only present in the film.

I'm confused, those instruments/elements that you've mentioned a few times and which are in the film, are they on this new album and not on the 2010 album, or are they not on this new album but they were on the 2010 album because it used film stems?

Also, did you compare it to the E/B box?

Yea, there's basically 4 versions of a lot of cues out there now (OST, 2010 LLL, E/B box, 2014 LLL). Lot of comparing to do.

Sorry! My excitement can make me sputter a bit. The instruments/elements ARE on this release- either never having been previously heard (by me), or having ONLY been heard in the film.

These were a couple of notes I made about the previous release. I presume the album/film version of the Batman theme is a composite of that take and another.

- Batman: Album Version from 0:00-1:20 and 2:20-end = Alternate 2 on the LLL:

Around 1:20 it’s different from Alternate 2 (a give-away is the error in Alternate 2 around 1:31); I’m not sure where Alternate 2 kicks in again (I think around 2:20).

- In the very last beat of the Album Version there seems to be a kind of ‘hiccup’ that isn’t there in Alternate 2 (perhaps some form of clipping again during mastering?).

- Batman: the Film Version is just a film mix of the album version (it’s the same recording I think) – except perhaps for the clipped section, which also seems to be shortened by less than half a second at the very beginning of that section (notice the first of the pairs of beats coming in half a second earlier than the album version).

I think it's probably just the same recording, but it’s been clipped either due to amplifying that part (because of the different mix) or to micro-editing it.

It's also possible they mixed in an insert from another recording of course. (Just like the part between 1:20 and approx. 2:20 of the album version may be an insert? It's certainly not from either Alternate 1 or 2.)

- Alternate 1 seems to be the only true (entire) alternate available of the Batman theme.

I somehow missed this today. Awesome breakdown, and I think you're exactly right. On all points.

I think my point is that there are actually less versions than everyone assumes.

Maybe he meant as to why there are several cues out there with different mixes.

Just remember the ones from the previous Batman set from LLL is the mixes actually used in the film and are different compared to this reissue.

They are indeed different. I think 'Shootout,' 'Descent Into Mystery' and 'Batwing II/III' sound closer to the film mixes in this new set than in previous versions, but that's just me.

That's what I was trying to say, it's ridiculous to simply say "release a is better than release b" when track by track the source used to make it changes.

What I'm saying is, someone needs to make a difinitive list of each cue and which version of it they prefer and why (IE which one has more instruments or whatever)

They are indeed different. I think 'Shootout,' 'Descent Into Mystery' and 'Batwing II/III' sound closer to the film mixes in this new set than in previous versions, but that's just me.

"Shootout" from the previous release is definitely the original film mix the piano overlay heard through out most of the track is the give away, it's not present with the re-issued version. If it is there it's mixed very low...

However for the other three tracks I definitely agree that they sound closer to their film version mixes with the re-issue.

Edit: I was informed that the mixes for this re-issue are the film versions...especially for "Shootout". So I retract my statements on it and I was wrong...

"Shootout" from the previous release is definitely the original film mix the piano overlay heard through out most of the track is the give away, it's not present with the re-issued version. If it is there it's mixed very low...

However for the other three tracks I definitely agree that they sound closer to their film version mixes with the re-issue.

Edit: I was informed that the mixes for this re-issue are the film versions...especially for "Shootout". So I retract my statements on it and I was wrong...

There are 2 moments in 'Shootout' that sound especially close to the film: 1:20- The first bold statement of the Batman Theme-- listen for the more distinct harp stroke as the melody climbs, and a more pronounced timpani pound/roll; and at 3:15 (the moment that Bob the goon turns the gun on Gordon)-- again, distinctive harp pluckings, and tiny bells/chimes played frenetically over the suspenseful chords, as Batman slowly lowers Napier to the ground.

It has been discovered that our first pressing of THE DANNY ELFMAN BATMAN COLLECTION has a minor audio flaw on Disc 4. On Track 1 of Disc 4, at 6:21, there is a slight sonic defect. This will be corrected on all future repressings of this title.
If you have a Disc 4 with the Track 1 flaw and wish a replacement disc. Please e-mail info@lalaland-ent.com with the subject heading BATMAN DISC 4 REPLACEMENT and make sure you include your name and exact mailing address in the body of your e-mail. We will begin sending out replacement discs in mid January 2015, when we get them in stock.

http://filmscoremonthly.com/board/posts.cfm?threadID=107041&forumID=1&archive=0

Oh my disc has this defect. Informed my sister of this so she can get a replacement. Nothing major, just a minor thing.

Other than that, I'm happy with the improvement on Batman. There is a considerable difference in how it sounds and clean ending on Batwing I is most welcome.

Karol

They never manufacture all the units at once. I think they will ship out all the remaining units as they are and will replace discs once they're pressed. And I bet they will just attach extra disc to any set shipped after mid-January.

At least, that's what I would do.

Karol

Yeah I noticed the defect on my 4th disc too. Great that they are offering replacement disc. :)

Although my 4th disc has several flaws on the first track not just the one mentioned in the above LLL post. E.g. another one 1:28 into the track and another at 3:07.

• 2 weeks later...

LLL just sent me a replacement copy of the 4th disc. Quite on schedule as they mentioned it was mid-January when they got the new batch from the plant. :)

I got my replacement for CD 4 of this set yesterday. Great and quick service as usual LLL. :)

I got my replacement for CD 4 of this set yesterday. Great and quick service as usual LLL. :)

What was wrong with the first Disc 4?

The first pressing had some clipping on the first track of the disc 4. LLL naturally sent replacement copy to those who had a faulty disc. See previous page of this thread for more info.

With you BBoal I can't quite tell if you are being extemely sarcastic or having some kind of spastic seizure.

I got my replacement disc today. :)

Karol

Having those few small mistakes on the 4th disc lost me a lot of sleep over the past month I can tell you. After I got my disc my life returned to normal.

With you BBoal I can't quite tell if you are being extemely sarcastic or having some kind of spastic seizure.

I don't like sarcasm It's coarse and rough and irritating and it gets everywhere.

Everything here at JWFan is soft and smooth.

Everything is awesome!

...including this set. Sounds fantastic!

That it does. Batman Returns has risen immeasurably in my eyes (and ears) after delving into the complete score with this set. And yeah the complete Batman score doesn't sound too shabby now either. :)

I don't like sarcasm It's coarse and rough and irritating and it gets everywhere.

Oh BloodBoal, you shouldn't have. Don't know what to say.

Karol