Boston Film Night 2015 (without JW)

Got my tickets for Friday, May 22 ORCH near the front! Also going Lockhart's show Thursday the 21st sitting in the balcony.

Its up to your own preference.

Personally, I think the floor SOUNDS better, but you can only see the back of JW and the string section (and whoever else is in front of the stage).

From the balcony, you can see all the musicians (but the sound isn't quite as good)

Exactly, its a trade off.

I've been going to these shows for 8 or 9 years now and I basically alternate between floor and balcony to mix it up cause they both have pluses and minuses. Overall I think I prefer the balcony though - the sound isn't THAT much different.

Second balcony, or back center balcony is clearly inferior, though.

After being a member here for almost 12 years (although I recently created a new account) I'll finally get to see JW at Symphony hall. Going on Sat row N on the floor. Good reason to use airline miles.

Can anyone recommend a hotel that is walking distance?

Awesome, welcome to the board and hope you enjoy the show!

EDIT: Is there any reason you didn't post this message from your old account?

I seem to remember some screw up with my old account. Escapes me now

Indeed. I've been trying to get on here for a while but random password problems pop up, but happy to be here now. I host a podcast about film music, so all I really do is talk in microscopic detail about scores. This seems like the perfect place to find similar minds.

Don't you listen to the big, bad Steefikins! If you want to discuss film music to the ins-an-outs-of-a-cat's-ass degree, then you just go right ahead, and do it.

You are most welcome at JWfan. You've taken your first step into a larger world.

Welcome Lee!

Usually we do a meet up of fellow JWFans in Boston just before the concert on Saturday!

Welcome Lee!

Usually we do a meet up of fellow JWFans in Boston just before the concert on Saturday!

That sounds good yeah.

Where are you staying when going to the concerts? I'd like a hotel that's walking distance from the hall.

I'm staying at the 'Hostel International Boston,' which has good reviews and is very cheap for Boston. It might be a long walk from the Hall, so I'll probably be getting a taxi back. It saves getting lost and brutally killed.

Welcome Lee!

That sounds good yeah.

Where are you staying when going to the concerts? I'd like a hotel that's walking distance from the hall.

I'm staying at the 'Hostel International Boston,' which has good reviews and is very cheap for Boston. It might be a long walk from the Hall, so I'll probably be getting a taxi back. It saves getting lost and brutally killed.

I Booked at the Midtown. Not very cheap,but according the info it's about 180 meters from the hall. Hard to beat.

I stayed there 2 years ago. Its fine. Affordable, clean and with very fast wifi.

Fast enough to download the latest OST leaks?

:lol:

I like you already!

Welcome Lee!

That sounds good yeah.

I'm also staying at the Hostel International. For finding your way back, the easiest way is taking the T (underground/metro/subway) but from the Mass Ave stop on the orange line (just a two minute walk from the Symphony stop on the green line). That would bring you back up to Chinatown where the hostel is in just five minutes or so. As for getting brutally killed, just a reminder that it is Boston, not Baltimore. :)

For those of us only attending the Friday performance, will there be a JW Fan meeting/dinner before too?

Welcome Lee!

That sounds good yeah.

I'm also staying at the Hostel International. For finding your way back, the easiest way is taking the T (underground/metro/subway) but from the Mass Ave stop on the orange line (just a two minute walk from the Symphony stop on the green line). That would bring you back up to Chinatown where the hostel is in just five minutes or so. As for getting brutally killed, just a reminder that it is Boston, not Baltimore. :)

For those of us only attending the Friday performance, will there be a JW Fan meeting/dinner before too?

Thanks for the info, much appreciated.

I'm free to meet up both nights as well.

You wont know whats being played till the day of the first concert.

They sure like to keep the suspense going. I guess no matter what he'll have great selections, if I use previous years as references.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Trying to guess the program.....Some SW since new movie is 7 months away. Maybe something from Jaws since it'll be the 40th anniversary on June 1. What about something from Hook as a tribute to Robin Williams? So much to choose from. Whatever he picks it'll be great.

I'm just happy to finally witness him conducting his music, but I guess I do have a few little wishes. Something from Star Wars and Jurassic Park, and I'd love to hear some of his more recent work from the last decade; The Terminal, Catch Me If You Can, War Horse and Lincoln too would be nice.

Yeah "ladies and gentlemen I'm sure you all know there's another Star Wars film this christmas, so I thought I'd treat you to a piece I wrote for one of the new main characters. I hope you enjoy it." The entire audience in the Symphony Hall explodes.

Yeah "ladies and gentlemen I'm sure you all know there's another Star Wars film this christmas, so I thought I'd treat you to a piece I wrote for one of the new main characters. I hope you enjoy it." The entire audience in the Symphony Hall explodes.

I'm 99% sure that'll happen. We just have to make sure we have some of our people there to record it.