Boston Film Night 2015 (without JW)

I guess I'm going to spend all of tomorrow madly trying to get refunds for my flights, hotels, and the concert tickets. If I can't get refunds then I expect one of you to buy me a VERY strong drink in Boston so I can deal with the huge amount of money I spent to see someone that wont be there.

I wont be there. :)

Damn you lol. Well one of you other folks will have to prepare you wallets.

I will take one of Boston's finest ales. It shall be strong, dark and full of terrors.

Hmm, I don't think we need to upgrade to DEFCON 3 just yet, although things certainly haven't been going well what with the concert cancellations and Thomas Newman doing the next Spielberg film. Keep the faith, my brothers and sisters. Remember that he is doing the new Star Wars and let's chalk it up to that. He's writing and recording Star Wars now. He's not going to go to Boston and conduct a few shows. It sucks, but not the end of the world?

Or maybe we could do one restaurant Friday and another Saturday? Who is going to both nights?

Let's a get a list started

Me +1 will be there Friday night. It's too late to turn back now! Plane tickets etc. I hope the JWFan meetup happens in any case, since it'll be an even bigger highlight this year, all things considered!

I will be able to confirm tomorrow, but I most likely will be going and it will be both nights too. I'd very much like to meet up. It will be interesting to talk with like-minded folk.

Sucks when I've spent over $300 just for this concert!

Hmm...I can see that. I never had to spend that much because I was lucky enough to be 40 minutes away. So I could splurge and get the most expensive tickets, seemingly the only JWFan among the Boston socialites ordering drinks during the concert. God, I do miss it. Standing right next to Williams on numerous occasions was so fucking amazing. Few people can say they've met their hero, even though I was star-struck and looked like a complete imbecile each time. I'm very fortunate. Oh well, at least I did it, but I don't regret moving to Disneyland. And anyway, I'm like a half hour away from where he lives.

Wow, that sucks. Guess it's good that my plans for this fell through. It's concerning news for Williams' health though.

Hmm, I don't think we need to upgrade to DEFCON 3 just yet, although things certainly haven't been going well what with the concert cancellations and Thomas Newman doing the next Spielberg film. Keep the faith, my brothers and sisters. Remember that he is doing the new Star Wars and let's chalk it up to that. He's writing and recording Star Wars now. He's not going to go to Boston and conduct a few shows. It sucks, but not the end of the world?

He's confirmed to do The BFG in 2016 according to the Dreamworks press release, but I guess that's subject to change. I imagine doing concerts is much more physically taxing than writing film scores and concert pieces, especially when long distance traveling is involved.

To those who have tickets, yes it sucks. But go and enjoy the concert. Boston will always be Williams's spiritual home, so being there offers that connection. Also, the program and performance will be top-notch.

Got this email from Boston Pops Orchestra today...

"Dear Patron,

John Williams regretfully has had to cancel his upcoming appearances with the Boston Pops, May 22 and 23, due to a back ailment that requires him to rest and limit travel over the next few weeks. Please note, the program will remain the same.

Richard Kaufman will conduct these performances. Among his many accomplishments, Richard Kaufman is the Principal Pops Conductor of the Pacific Symphony, the Pops Conductor Laureate of the Dallas Symphony, and is celebrating his tenth season at the helm of the Chicago Symphony Orchestras film concert series CSO at the Movies. As a friend and colleague of John Williams, Mr. Kaufman has appeared as a violinist on many of Mr. Williamss film sound tracks over the years.

Please contact SymphonyCharge at 888-266-1200 with any questions."

I'm debating whether I still want to fly to Boston and pay the associated costs (time off work, hotel room, etc.) after this news. I wish they'd announce the program in advance, that would make the decision a lot easier.

I know tickets are non-refundable, but in situations like this do they make an exception? If I can't get my money back, I may as well go as the flight and hotel have been booked for months. Southwest does let you get credit though if I want to cancel the flight.

I've had some time to let the news settle in and discuss it with my wife. We coupled the travel with a trip to NYC, so we might as well just go and at least enjoy the music. Chances are we'll never see Williams in person, but we're not going to let that get in the way of having a good time :)

Man that's a crushing blow. I'm coming from England and have worked hard to afford the trip. I was really looking forward to seeing him up there on the stage for the first time in my life. Really heartbreaking. The most important thing is that he's okay, but damn that's hard to stomach.

You are not alone in your misery....the same situation for me...coming all the way from Slovakia (via VIE-LHR-BOS :)

Man that's a crushing blow. I'm coming from England and have worked hard to afford the trip. I was really looking forward to seeing him up there on the stage for the first time in my life. Really heartbreaking. The most important thing is that he's okay, but damn that's hard to stomach.

You are not alone in your misery....the same situation for me...coming all the way from Slovakia (via VIE-LHR-BOS :)

It's awful that so many of us and others not on her, have spent so much money and so much planning for it all to fall apart. I wish I could just say 'ah well, at least I'll get to hear the great music,' but I've spent the last 10 years of my life at hundreds of concerts, including countless ones of John Williams' music, so hearing the great music is unfortunately not anything new for me. I'll spend today frantically trying to get my money back from many different sources lol.

I’ve already seen him four times: once in Tanglewood, once in New York, and twice in Boston. So I consider myself very lucky.

I had seriously considered going again this year but I made the difficult decision to save money instead – a decision I’m obviously not regretting now. Really disappointing for those who have booked tickets though, especially the people who have made arrangements to travel from overseas.

The Boston concerts have always been an annual tradition and obviously JW has a long standing history with the BSO, so this cancellation is more significant than the one earlier in the year. Having said that, I’d rather JW stick with his doctor’s advice rather than attempting to do the concerts and ending up making his condition worse. To be honest, I still think it is amazing that he is travelling the country conducting concerts in his 80s.

It will be interesting to see if the Tanglewood concert goes ahead.

So I can't cancel anything. It'll cost me more money to cancel my flights haha that's airlines for you. So I'll be going to both concerts and am up for any gatherings around both nights. :)

"Dear Patron,

John Williams regretfully has had to cancel his upcoming appearances with the Boston Pops, May 22 and 23, due to a back ailment that requires him to rest and limit travel over the next few weeks. Please note, the program will remain the same.

etc.

I've updated the thread title so those who don't bother reading the main page, facebook or even the most recent post on this same thread don't have to bother posting again what everyone already knows. ;)

"Dear Patron,

Richard Kaufman will conduct these performances. Among his many accomplishments, Richard Kaufman is the Principal Pops Conductor of the Pacific Symphony, the Pops Conductor Laureate of the Dallas Symphony, and is celebrating his tenth season at the helm of the Chicago Symphony Orchestras film concert series CSO at the Movies. As a friend and colleague of John Williams, Mr. Kaufman has appeared as a violinist on many of Mr. Williamss film sound tracks over the years.

Please contact SymphonyCharge at 888-266-1200 with any questions."

Cremers disease has spread from General Discussion to the John Williams forum!

It's no hassle for me to go to these concerts since I live so close, but without John Williams being there there is hardly a point, since I've very likely heard 80-100% of the program live already. I've also already seem him at this venue for the past 9 years in a row, plus once at Tanglewood, plus once in Los Angeles, so I'm not as bummed as I'm sure a lot of people who got this email are.

I am very likely going to attempt to sell our Saturday evening tickets, but I don't know if that will even be possible, especially for face value. I wish the box office would do official refunds in instances such as this.

I'll probably still go to the Friday evening concert I was planning on going to by myself anyway, and meet up with JWFanners :)

The GOOD news is, without there being any reason to wait outside before or after the show for autographs, we can actually go to a good restaurant in town instead of the chain restaurant right next door :)

Maybe Marcy and I will still come to dinner on Saturday even if we don't go to the show :)

The thing is with wedding, honeymoon, and possibly a house purchase coming up, getting an extra $200 back by refunding/selling the tickets is probably really worth it to us.

Hosting a JWfan dinner should supercede any other priorities Leblanc!

Pospone the wedding, live in a hut!

It is the priviledge of hosting the JWFan dinner that will keep you going Jay! House or no house!

I'll dine, Pasi will wine (or beer) you!

Sad he is getting ill more frequently these days.

I suppose i will have to remember this as not to travel to the US to attend a williams concert. This will not be the last time he has to cancel a concert :(

You should travel now! To seek him out

Luke JWstalker!

I really hope he doesn't cancel Tanglewood too.

After canceling in San Diego and Boston, it does seem quite likely, though.

Let's hope his back is ok by that time.

He can't retire until after Philly next year. He can spend the next 12 months resting and composing!

I just learned that Philly is relatively close to Washington D.C., about a 2,5 hour drive? (I'm not that familiar with US topography :P ). I actually have friends in Washington where I could stay, which brings the cost of a round trip down dramatically.

Something to keep in mind. If he skips that concert, I'm just not meant to see him in person.