Boston Film Night 2015 (without JW)

I consider myself fortunate enough to have seen him 4 times in 4 different cities. I cherish each one of those experiences; Philly, New York, Chicago and Boston. I know the cost, time, and emotional perpetration it takes to plan a trip specifically geared toward seeing one of your musical heroes. At this stage, with the recent cancelations, it is certainly a risk, and I can imagine the heartache over hearing that news. I hope it all works out for those of you scheduled for Tanglewood.

He can't retire until after Philly next year. He can spend the next 12 months resting and composing!

I just learned that Philly is relatively close to Washington D.C., about a 2,5 hour drive? (I'm not that familiar with US topography :P ). I actually have friends in Washington where I could stay, which brings the cost of a round trip down dramatically.

Yup, not a bad drive! I've been down to DC a couple of times. Pretty easy to get too.

Tanglewood is still, like, 3 months away, isn't it? Plenty of time to mend bad backs.

Totally. Batman had much worse and he was back in crime fighting shape in no time at all.

Tanglewood is still, like, 3 months away, isn't it? Plenty of time to mend bad backs.

Not if it is a chronic problem, and we have strong evidence that it is a chronic problem.

Bring back Artie Kane!

Or Pope, who can make revisions on the stage!

With a JW score only JW makes the revisions! From start to finish he is the architect of those changes! You should know this!

This is very upsetting news. I have tickets for the Saturday night concert. Like some of the other local folks posting here, I have seen him in concert several times, and met him afterward when he came out to meet fans -- but I still look forward to the concert every time. For those coming from abroad, I can't imagine...

I said "main" scoring sessions. Obviously sessions based around trailer music have already happened.

Please, we don't need another UFO like "Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets" in JW discography!

The score of Episode 7 must be directed by John Williams himself.

UFO? What? Harry Potter 2 is as much a John Williams score as any other. The sheet music proves it. Yes, Williams Ross conducted the recording sessions, but so what? Artie Kane conducted half of Jurassic Park, and its as much a John Williams score as any other as well.

UFO? What? Harry Potter 2 is as much a John Williams sore as any other. The sheet music proves it. Yes, Williams Ross conducted the recording sessions, but so what? Artie Kane conducted half of Jurassic Park, and its as much a John Williams score as any other as well.

I call it an UFO, because it's an exceptional case in his discography. A movie score entirely written by him, but not conducted by him (and credited this way). This is the only case. I'm not an expert of soundtracks in general, but I bet this is pretty rare.

UFO? What? Harry Potter 2 is as much a John Williams sore as any other. The sheet music proves it. Yes, Williams Ross conducted the recording sessions, but so what? Artie Kane conducted half of Jurassic Park, and its as much a John Williams score as any other as well.

He's probably referring more to the years of speculation over who wrote what.

All of Giacchino's scores are conducted by someone else. It doesn't really mean anything.

All of Giacchino's scores are conducted by someone else. It doesn't really mean anything.

OK, you teach me it, I don't know Giacchino. After all, it's not because you compose music that you have the abilities (or the time) to record it yourself. But in the case of John Williams he always directed the movie score he entirely wrote.

He's probably referring more to the years of speculation over who wrote what.

JW wrote the "Harry Potter and The Chamber of Secrets" score, as it is credited. Period. :)

Yes, but for many years after the film's release, many fans speculated that Ross wrote/arranged parts of the score.

And CoS is not the first score JW didn't conduct.

Yes, but for many years after the film's release, many fans speculated that Ross wrote/arranged parts of the score.

And CoS is not the first score JW didn't conduct.

You are right, concerning the movie scores entirely composed by John Williams, None But The Brave is in the same situation. I always forget that one.

Part of my Wiki disco:

Soundtracks conducted by others

Wagon Train [Original TV Music From]

Mercury Records

Some Tracks composed by Johhny Williams. Music conducted by Stanley Wilson.

The Virginian

Decca (Brazil)

Some Tracks composed by Johhny Williams. Music conducted by Stanley Wilson.

Thomas And The King (Musical)

TER

Music by John Williams, Lyrics by James Harbert, Book by Edward Anhalt; Orchestrations by Herbert W. Spencer, Conducted by Ian Macpherson; Reissued in 1998, Jay Records.

Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets [Original Motion Picture Soundtrack][1]

Atlantic

Music by John Williams, Adapted and conducted by William Ross

Superman IV: The Quest for Peace (Superman: The Music)

Film Score Monthly

Previously unreleased score (1987); Music by John Williams, Adapted and Conducted by Alexander Courage; Available in the 8 CD Set "Superman: The Music".

None But The Brave

Film Score Monthly

Previously unreleased score (1965); Music by John Williams, Conducted by Morris Stoloff; Piano on Piano Theme Bonus Track: Johnny Williams.

Many composers don't conduct their own scores. Doesn't mean a thing, like Jay said.

I'm starting to lean towards not going to this. I can get a full refund on the hotel, credit towards my next flight from Southwest, and maybe can scalp off the tickets for half off and get something back.

Huge bummer!

Conrad Pope.

I don't know him, but I read on Wikipedia that he wrote original music for

Ah... Wikipedia...

To return on the main subject, I personaly know people that go to see Charles Aznavour wherever he performs on the planet.

He will turn 91 on may 24th and he will be in Paris in September, and in Spain and Netherlands in October.

I call these people "crazy", as we can never know when he will cancel a concert (even if in fact he does very rarely).

But there are always risks.

John Williams may only have a little 83, but to go oversea to see him, well, that's "risky". And I feel sorry for those who hoped to see him next week.

Well the thing is, John Williams has done these May/June concerts at Symphony Hall in Boston like clockwork every year for 10+ years. So its been more of a sure thing than random sporadic concerts.

Well the thing is, John Williams has done these May/June concerts at Symphony Hall in Boston like clockwork every year for 10+ years. So its been more of a sure thing than random sporadic concerts.

The clock is ticking and the meter is running.

I have gone every year since 200.... 4 or 5? or 6? I have no idea what happened before then.

Morricone conducts his own music and he's not good at in my opinion, apart from the fact that more often than not he has had to dealt with some pretty bad orchestras, something that Williams has been lucky enough to avoid through most of his carreer.

I just heard about Williams cancelling his Boston appearance in a couple weeks. It might be worth noting for those who keep track of such things, he cancelled a concert with the Pittsburgh Symphony Orchestra several years ago (c. 2012?) due to a back injury. Luckily for me he rescheduled the concert a few months later. I wonder what the problem stems from? I'm sure spending over 50 years hunching over score sheets doesn't help!

Interestingly, this year he is not doing his Film Night at the Hollywood Bowl but is instead doing a few nights of E.T. live to picture. I was hoping he would introduce some new Star Wars music.

UFO? What? Harry Potter 2 is as much a John Williams score as any other. The sheet music proves it. Yes, Williams Ross conducted the recording sessions, but so what? Artie Kane conducted half of Jurassic Park, and its as much a John Williams score as any other as well.

Of course it is, for every reasonable person at least.

The fact is that Bespin likes to see JW as someone like Michael Jackson or The Beatles, i.e. recording artists releasing albums as their primary job, hence the obsession with "discography".

The fact is that Bespin likes to see JW as someone like Michael Jackson or The Beatles, i.e. recording artists releasing albums as their primary job, hence the obsession with "discography".

Your comment is irrelevant.

Interestingly, this year he is not doing his Film Night at the Hollywood Bowl but is instead doing a few nights of E.T. live to picture. I was hoping he would introduce some new Star Wars music.

He won't be conducting though, disappointingly. Emailed the company putting it on to ask, and got a fairly unenlightening response.

Dear Alastair,

John’s current plans are to be present to introduce the concerts in person, and it hasn’t yet been announced who will conduct the first two evenings.

All the best,

Film Concerts Live!

Still, perhaps his only official public appearance of the year!

I attended Richard Kaufman's RSNO performance in Edinburgh and this was the program. I wonder how similar the Boston one will be given that none of JW's own suggestions were previously announced.

John Williams Superman March
John Williams Theme from Jurassic Park
John Williams Hymn to the Fallen (Saving Private Ryan)
John Williams Midway March
John Williams Sabrina
John Williams Devil's Dance (The Witches of Eastwick)
John Williams If We Were in Love (Yes, Giorgio)
John Williams Star Wars Suite: V. Throne Room & End Title

Interval

John Williams Raiders March
John Williams Harry's Wondrous World (Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone)
John Williams Catch me if you can: Escapades for Alto Saxophone and Orchestra
John Williams Empire of the Sun: Jim's New Life
John Williams Flight to Neverland from Hook
John Williams Suite from Jaws
John Williams E.T.: Adventures on Earth

Encore: Williams March from "1941"

Sounds like a really nice program. Here's wishing Williams a nice recovery for this August.

btw, I'm back. ;)