Boston Film Night 2015 (without JW)

I emailed the Boston Symphony about a refund, knowing full well the tickets are none refundable, but they replied with this:

Thank you for your e-mail.

We are also disappointed that Maestro Williams will be unable to conduct these concerts.

We have processed a refund for the ticket price only. The handling fee cannot be refunded.

We hope you will join us next season!

Same reply I got. At least they were nice enough to tefund the tickets.

This is the only known photo of one of my meetings with JW years ago, taken with the worst cell phone camera in history. That's me with the Mark Hamill ESB hair, and there's the man himself signing MInority Report.

183853_10150413885748009_3223972_n.jpg

And that's everyone else being completely envious.

Now you're making ME envious with that picture.

Hell or high water, I'm going to Tanglewood this year.

What?? I emailed them but never got a response. Could you give me the address you contacted them at?

I emailed their Customer Services department - customerservice@bso.org

What?? I emailed them but never got a response. Could you give me the address you contacted them at?

I actually just replied to the email I received regarding the change of conductor. A day later it was all settled. Still a bummer as I was really looking forward to see him conduct at symphony hall.

I emailed their Customer Services department - customerservice@bso.org

That's the one I wrote to!

I actually just replied to the email I received regarding the change of conductor. A day later it was all settled. Still a bummer as I was really looking forward to see him conduct at symphony hall.

Tried this as well, hopefully it gets through.

Sweet. I have not been able to get a reply after 2 emails, I'll try calling.

I'll definitely be happy with a gift card, cause they will certainly do shows in the future I would like to attend.

BTW, did all you guys who got tickets have digital ones or paper one? Because I have real, physical tickets, maybe thats making it harder for me to refund them.

Sweet. I have not been able to get a reply after 2 emails, I'll try calling.

I'll definitely be happy with a gift card, cause they will certainly do shows in the future I would like to attend.

BTW, did all you guys who got tickets have digital ones or paper one? Because I have real, physical tickets, maybe thats making it harder for me to refund them.

I was to pick up the ticket at the box office. Maybe that made it easier to get a refund.

Hey gang,

Is ANYBODY HERE still going to tomorrow night's concert?

If not, I might get a refund for that as well as my Saturday tickets.

Please respond if you are going out tomorrow!

I'm still going tonight. Jay, I've sent you a copy of the program if you want to share it on the forum.

Program for both tonight and tomorrow night:

Hooray For Hollywood (Whiting/Mercer, arr. Williams)

Selections from Far and Away [County Galway, June 1892 / The Fighting Donnellys / Joseph and Shannon / Blowin' Off Steam (The Fight) / Finale]

Theme from Sabrina

Jim's New Life from Empire of the Sun

The Duel from The Adventures of Tintin

Marion's Theme from Raiders of the Lost Ark

Theme from Jaws

Flight to Neverland from Hook

--Intermission--

Liberty Fanfare

Sherzo for Motorcycle and Orchestra from Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade

Nimbus 2000 from Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone

Hedwig's Theme from Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone

Devil's Dance from The Witches of Eastwick

Love Theme from Superman

March from Superman

Throne Room and Finale from Star Wars

11282153_10155781713775227_652028677_n.j

11269875_10155781713825227_415522752_n.j

So nothing out of the ordinary.

Jim's New Life might be the only one of these I haven't heard live before.

Thanks Foxfan!

Thought the concert tonight was great, Kauffman did a great job subbing in. He seemed very excited to be there, and performed with a lot of energy. He also talked a lot and had a great story about Witches of Eastwick, that piece was also the highlight of the evening for us. It was a good time!

Cool program. I love the selections from FAR & AWAY, which is a personal JW favourite.

He tends to program it with some regularity. Even though the film itself is all but forgotten.

So he must be pretty proud of it, or feels it works well on stage.

All in all, this was one great event and for me personally an excitement 2 days roundtrip to Boston from Europe. I'm very glad I went. I might not be able to see JW performing live, but at least I gave it a shot.:) Giving the circumstances, I think Kaufmann was very decent sub.

Regret that you sold your other ticket? :)

not really, because I wouldn’t be able to make the trip in August anyhow.... Boston was my only chance this (and most probably also next) year to see him live.

I hope he will be able to make it to Tanglewood so at least one of us got a chance to see him performing live

Fingers crossed :)

• 3 weeks later...

The concert is now available for streaming at WGBH.org

http://www.wgbh.org/programs/The-Boston-Symphony-Orchestra-in-Concert-1641#63461

Good recording! I close my eyes and I'm there.

You can hear the difference, though. It's not quite as polished as it would have been with Williams conducting.

Awesome version of Scherzo for Motorcycle and Orchestra! That was supposed to be on the program years ago when I went and Williams replaced it with Sabrina, I think.

The concert is now available for streaming at WGBH.org

http://www.wgbh.org/programs/The-Boston-Symphony-Orchestra-in-Concert-1641#63461

Excellent! Thank you Ricard! :)

Yeah, but atleast JW was there!

He made an appearance at the concert? I wanted to go originally but couldn't afford it at the time, so I was a happy to hear he wasn't able to make it (although very concerned). However, that program looks fabulous. Even without Williams I'm sure it was wonderful.

You can hear the difference, though. It's not quite as polished as it would have been with Williams conducting.

The recording is from the Saturday night performance and there might have been a few flubs here and there, but the Friday night performance I attended was spot on, and the orchestra probably sounded even better than they have in recent years. There's a certain degree of energy I noticed when orchestras are led by a guest conductor for the first time. The musicians really tried their best to impress Kaufman.

Just listened to the captation, I loved it! As if I was there!

Many difficulties in Throne Room, but I think it's normal for an orchestra dealing with a guest conductor! But like it was said earlier, I loved the global energy. It turned out as a great and moving tribute to John Williams.

Is there any software that can help you download this ? (I know others have done this before but Im struggling to get this down)

Is there any software that can help you download this ? (I know others have done this before but Im struggling to get this down)

Video DownloadHelper Plugin for Firefox, free.